Old 21-11-2004, 11:28 AM
Dorian

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 00:00:27 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 20/11/04 23:00, in article , "ex WGS
Hamm" wrote:

snip
You talk as though foxes were not shot before the ban. They were.So if they
are suffering from gangrene now because inexpert marksmen are shooting them,
nothing has changed.

Yes, it has. More are being killed now than were being killed before.

It's actually illegal to kill foxes out of spite. If you know any pro
hunt nuts taking it out on the wildlife then let us know and we'll
ensure they are dealt with by the authorities.

Old 21-11-2004, 04:39 PM
Sacha

Hamm" wrote:

snip
You talk as though foxes were not shot before the ban. They were.So if they
are suffering from gangrene now because inexpert marksmen are shooting them,
nothing has changed.

Yes, it has. More are being killed now than were being killed before.

It's actually illegal to kill foxes out of spite. If you know any pro
hunt nuts taking it out on the wildlife then let us know and we'll
ensure they are dealt with by the authorities.

Apparently, the law is that you may not search for foxes but you may flush
them out. As the web site to which I gave you the link shows, nothing that
is being done is illegal. I don't live in Scotland and so I don't know any
of these people - like yourself I am at liberty to read and to learn.
So it appears that what is now happening is that older foxes which have gone
to ground are remaining alive, while younger foxes which have merely taken
cover, are being killed. Nobody is shooting foxes 'out of spite' because
nobody killed them for that reason in the first place. Killing foxes - or
rabbits, or magpies, or crows, or whatever - is part of countryside
management. And that is what the *farmers* are doing. Only now they are
being forced by the anti-hunt nuts to do it in such a way as to make it
probable that the foxes are dying in great pain and larger numbers. There's
a success story for you!
Of course, urban foxes are in danger of being poisoned if they mess up
peoples' gardens and I imagine the same applies to country foxes, too. All
will die in agony but you won't see it happen, will you. So it won't be
'real'. And other creatures, like the badger we had to shoot two years ago,
will pick up the poison and die in pain, as well. Excellent result. Well
done.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Old 22-11-2004, 10:49 AM
Sacha

On 22/11/04 8:39, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 23:53:40 +0000, Andy
wrote:

Look. If you stop 'em hunting foxes they will go back to hunting
peasants like myself. I'm too old for it now. So let 'em hunt foxes
for fox sake.

Hunting royalty and aristocrats is becoming a popular pass time.

How right you a

The ban on foxhunting is about a class war and not animal welfare a member
of the Government admitted last night.
Peter Bradley an aide to Rural Affairs Minister Alun Michael, said his
fellow Labour MPs felt so strongly about hunting because it was a chance to
"take on the gentry".
This is seen as a startling admission which undermines efforts to portray
the ban as caring about foxes. And it came as Home Secretary, Blunkett,
indicated that the government won't be harsh about those who defy the ban in
the first few weeks after its introduction on 19 February.
This tactic is seen as a ploy by Ministers who wanted to see a ban delayed
until after the general election.
Mr Bradley said Labour MPs wanted to wipe out 'the old order': "We ought at
last to own up to it: the struggle over the Bill was not just about animal
welfare and personal freedom, it was class war. This was not about the
politics of envy but the politics of power. Ultimately, it's about who
governs Britain."
Tory environment spokesman James Gray said "It is typical of ~Tony Blair's
government to spend all its time fighting an old-fashioned class war when
all the rest of the country wants them to do is fight crime and tackle the
problems that really matter."
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Old 22-11-2004, 01:46 PM
Kay

In article , Sacha
writes

The ban on foxhunting is about a class war and not animal welfare a member
of the Government admitted last night.
Peter Bradley an aide to Rural Affairs Minister Alun Michael, said his
fellow Labour MPs felt so strongly about hunting because it was a chance to
"take on the gentry".

That's not quite what he said!

"It was class war. But it was not class war as we know it. It was not
launched by the tribunes against the toffs - it was the other way round.
This was not about the politics of envy, but the politics of power.
Ultimately it's about who governs Britain," the MP wrote.

To make himself clear, Mr Bradley, who is an unpaid parliamentary
private secretary to Alun Michael, the rural affairs minister,
maintained that the countryside demonstrations had been about the fast-
eroding power of the landed classes, not about the real countryside.
"That's why they oppose the right to roam and a ban on hunting. For them
it's ownership of property, especially land, and not citizenship, that
confers privilege," he wrote. "

--
Kay

Old 22-11-2004, 02:38 PM
Diane Epps

snip

Alternatively practise good animal husbandry and ensure your ducks are
securely shut away at night in fox proof housing. I breed rare poultry and
have not lost any to the fox. If I did I would be blaming myself for not
providing secure accommodation for the livestock in my care.

Kept in wooden shed at night but do tell me how do I keep them safe in day
time when they had free run of the garden and pond where they were attacked
by a bold dog fox who lives on the golf course and wanders through
everyones gardens at his leisure.

Old 22-11-2004, 05:45 PM
Sacha

On 22/11/04 13:46, in article , "Kay"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

The ban on foxhunting is about a class war and not animal welfare a member
of the Government admitted last night.
Peter Bradley an aide to Rural Affairs Minister Alun Michael, said his
fellow Labour MPs felt so strongly about hunting because it was a chance to
"take on the gentry".

That's not quite what he said!

It was according to the web site I read!

snip
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Old 22-11-2004, 05:52 PM
Sacha

On 22/11/04 14:25, in article , "Franz
Heymann" wrote:

snip
And the government *is* dealing with them. About as incompetently as
it has been dealing with the hunting problem.

[snip]

Franz

Which is not *quite* what most of us have in mind, I think!
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Old 22-11-2004, 07:29 PM
Franz Heymann

"Diane Epps" wrote in message

snip

Alternatively practise good animal husbandry and ensure your ducks

are
securely shut away at night in fox proof housing. I breed rare

poultry and
have not lost any to the fox. If I did I would be blaming myself

for not
providing secure accommodation for the livestock in my care.

Kept in wooden shed at night but do tell me how do I keep them safe

in day
time when they had free run of the garden and pond where they were

attacked
by a bold dog fox who lives on the golf course and wanders through
everyones gardens at his leisure.

Who said what here, and why?

Franz

Old 22-11-2004, 08:20 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Sacha
writes
the struggle over the Bill was not just about animal
welfare and personal freedom, it was class war.

No, no, Sacha . . . 'perceived class' war!!!!!!!!
These people know absolutely *nothing* about hunting or the types of
people who hunt.
We don't have any blue blooded huntsmen in our local hunt.
Just ordinary people . . lorry drivers, butchers, teachers, farmers etc
etc.
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 22-11-2004, 09:30 PM
Ian Snowdon

In message , Jane Ransom
scribes
In article , Sacha
writes
the struggle over the Bill was not just about animal
welfare and personal freedom, it was class war.

No, no, Sacha . . . 'perceived class' war!!!!!!!!
These people know absolutely *nothing* about hunting or the types of
people who hunt.
We don't have any blue blooded huntsmen in our local hunt.
Just ordinary people . . lorry drivers, butchers, teachers, farmers etc
etc.

Just ordinary people who find entertainment in the chase of an animal to
its death.
--
Snowy

Old 22-11-2004, 09:38 PM
Franz Heymann

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 22/11/04 13:46, in article ,

"Kay"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

The ban on foxhunting is about a class war and not animal welfare

a member
of the Government admitted last night.
Peter Bradley an aide to Rural Affairs Minister Alun Michael,

said his
fellow Labour MPs felt so strongly about hunting because it was a

chance to
"take on the gentry".

That's not quite what he said!

It was according to the web site I read!

Then it was clearly a biased website, and you might consider dropping
it.
It's a pity you snipped the quotation which Kay gave. It was highly
cogent to the discussion.

Franz

Old 22-11-2004, 11:05 PM
Kay

In article , Sacha
writes
On 22/11/04 13:46, in article , "Kay"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

The ban on foxhunting is about a class war and not animal welfare a member
of the Government admitted last night.
Peter Bradley an aide to Rural Affairs Minister Alun Michael, said his
fellow Labour MPs felt so strongly about hunting because it was a chance to
"take on the gentry".

That's not quite what he said!

It was according to the web site I read!

That may be what your web site said, but it was not what Peter Bradley
said. The bit I quoted was taken from his article in the Sunday
Telegraph:

"Now that hunting has been banned, we ought at last to own up to it: the
struggle over the Bill was not just about animal welfare and personal
freedom, it was class war.

But it was not class war as we know it. It was not launched by the
tribunes against the toffs - it was the other way round. This was not
about the politics of envy but the politics of power. Ultimately it's
about who governs Britain. ... For them it's ownership of property,
especially land, and not citizenship that confers privilege. "

You can read the full article on the Telegraph website.
--
Kay

Old 23-11-2004, 08:18 AM
Bill

On 11/20/04 2:57 PM, in article , "ex
WGS Hamm" wrote:

"Diane Epps" wrote in message
k...

"Joe" wrote in message
For those of you who have an interest in the urban fox.

http://www.thefoxproject.fsnet.co.uk/

Joe
.
Yes I am interested but only in how to get rid of them. They just

killed
my ducks by biting their heads off, didn't eat them just killed them for
sport. I do hope we are not headed for the Spanish experience where
people leave poison bait out which is a danger to domestic dogs who have
to be muzzled or kept on a lead to prevent them form eating the bait. I
have dogs so this is not an option so I guess I will have to look for
someone with a gun.

Alternatively practise good animal husbandry and ensure your ducks are
securely shut away at night in fox proof housing. I breed rare poultry and
have not lost any to the fox. If I did I would be blaming myself for not
providing secure accommodation for the livestock in my care.

Good point. Taking responsibility! Owning the problem! Not blaming someone
else....well done!
But I'm wondering... "have not lost any to the fox..." The fox? There is
only one fox? Must be a biggie...
Bill