Old 21-11-2004, 02:24 PM
IntarsiaCo

At what point would it be OK to remove it from the propagator and transfer
to a windowsill?

That depends on the conditions at your windowsill. You will want to keep it
growing until the leaves yellow naturally or force it into dormancy by
witholding water. It will want a dry (but do not dessicate), frost free
(45-50F would be good) winter. Think benign neglect and check for mealies and
scale. Underpot in well drained potting mix. Avoid overhead watering. No
fertilizer until spring.
Old 21-11-2004, 06:17 PM
Franz Heymann

"Cereus-validus..." wrote in message
. com...

http://www.cactus-mall.com/andre/index.html

http://www.hort.wisc.edu/mastergarde...se/adenium.htm

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Cereus-validus..." wrote in message
. ..

"Franz Heymann" wrote in

message

"Matthew J.E. Durkin" wrote in

message
"Franz Heymann" wrote in

message

"Matthew J.E. Durkin" wrote in

message
Hi All,
I have just germinated a desert rose seed, the seedling

is
about
3"
tall now
with 2 leaves on top. I still have it in my propagator.

I am totally ignorant about this. What is a desert rose?

know
it
only as a mineral. See for example the Hamlyn Guide to

Minerals,
rocks and fossils.

At what point would it be OK to remove it from the

propagator
and
transfer
to a windowsill?

Adenium Obesum
Grow as a natural bonsai in a small container.
found a site that seems to answer my own question!
http://www.angelfire.com/hi/AdeniumsofHawaii/

It looks like an interesting plant, but what is the connection

between
it and a bonsai tree?
The RHS encyclopedia describes it as a frost tender perennial
succulent, very prone to rotting.

Adenium obseum is better described as a tender xerophytic

pachycaul
shrub
rather than a perennial. Its like an Oleander with a weight

problem.

For a botanist, maybe. For a gardener, no.

For a gardener yes, you dim wit Franzy.

Since you obviously heve never grown Adenium obesum, you are not at

all
qualified to speak for those who do.

I am fully qualified to recognise bullshit when I encounter it.

Franz

Old 21-11-2004, 06:23 PM
Franz Heymann

"Cereus-validus..." wrote in message
om...

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Cereus-validus..." wrote in message
. ..
"Franz Heymann" wrote in

message

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote in

message
news In article , Franz

Heymann
writes

"Matthew J.E. Durkin" wrote in

message
Hi All,
I have just germinated a desert rose seed, the seedling

is
about
3"
tall now
with 2 leaves on top. I still have it in my propagator.

I am totally ignorant about this. What is a desert rose? I

know it
only as a mineral. See for example the Hamlyn Guide to

Minerals,
rocks and fossils.

It's a name for Alygoyne hakeifolia, and also Aeonium

obesum.
And
(with
Sturt's name in front) Gossypium sturtianum. I guess it's

the
Aeonium
which is meant.

According to the RHS encyclopedia it is Adenium obesum which

is
the
desert rose.
According to the same book, the only Aeoniums listed are

arboretum,
haworthii and tubuliforme

You better get rid of that RHS encyclopedia of yours, Franz. Its

loaded with
mistakes.

Thanks for the advice, but I'll stick to the RHS book.

That's Aeonium arboreum and Aeonium tabuliforme not the gogglty

gook
you
wrote. There are many more species in the genus than just the

three
you
mention.

Google on the combination containing both phrases "Adenium

obesum"
"Desert rose"
and you will find 3,800 reasons why I will stick to the RHS book
rather than your flawed opinions.

How can you read your beloved RHS encyclopedia with your head up

your ass,
Franzy?

Try your reading skills on what I said above about using Google to
prove that yo are wrong.

You obviously don't have enough sense to check things out for

yourself
rather than depend on the second hand lame opinions in some hack

picture
book.

I have done so. I told you there are 3,800 reasons given by a Google
search to prove that you are wrong. Would you like a lesson on using
Google?

By the way, how about learning some of the elementary aspects of
posting to a newsgroup so as to make it unnecessary for folk to put
your meagre contributions in the correct place to maintain the
integrity of the thread?

Franz

Old 21-11-2004, 06:29 PM
Franz Heymann

"Cereus-validus..." wrote in message
.. .

[snip]

There is no such thing as Aeonium obesum. You mean Adenium obesum.

The popular common name "Desert Rose" is not really appropriate. It
looks more like it should be called "Desert Rhododendron" from the
appearance of the flowers.

There are many plants with inappropriate common names. That does not
detract from the fact that the common name of Adenium obesum is
"Desert Rose"

Franz

Old 22-11-2004, 04:20 AM
Cereus-validus...

"I am fully qualified to recognise bullshit when I encounter it.
Franz"

One would hope you recognize it by now.
You see it in the mirror every morning!!!!