Old 20-11-2004, 01:49 PM
Matthew J.E. Durkin

Default Desert Rose germinated... now what...

Hi All,
I have just germinated a desert rose seed, the seedling is about 3" tall now
with 2 leaves on top. I still have it in my propagator.

At what point would it be OK to remove it from the propagator and transfer
to a windowsill?

Thanks,
Matthew

Old 20-11-2004, 03:09 PM
Mike Lyle

Matthew J.E. Durkin wrote:
Hi All,
I have just germinated a desert rose seed, the seedling is about 3"
tall now with 2 leaves on top. I still have it in my propagator.

At what point would it be OK to remove it from the propagator and
transfer to a windowsill?

Blimey! A miracle! In my experience, that form of gypsum never
germinates, but just quietly crumbles away on the mantelpiece.

Mike.

Old 20-11-2004, 03:13 PM
Franz Heymann

"Matthew J.E. Durkin" wrote in message
Hi All,
I have just germinated a desert rose seed, the seedling is about 3"

tall now
with 2 leaves on top. I still have it in my propagator.

I am totally ignorant about this. What is a desert rose? I know it
only as a mineral. See for example the Hamlyn Guide to Minerals,
rocks and fossils.

At what point would it be OK to remove it from the propagator and

transfer
to a windowsill?

Franz

Old 20-11-2004, 03:29 PM
Matthew J.E. Durkin

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Matthew J.E. Durkin" wrote in message
Hi All,
I have just germinated a desert rose seed, the seedling is about 3"

tall now
with 2 leaves on top. I still have it in my propagator.

I am totally ignorant about this. What is a desert rose? I know it
only as a mineral. See for example the Hamlyn Guide to Minerals,
rocks and fossils.

At what point would it be OK to remove it from the propagator and

transfer
to a windowsill?

Franz

Adenium Obesum
Grow as a natural bonsai in a small container.
found a site that seems to answer my own question!
http://www.angelfire.com/hi/AdeniumsofHawaii/

Old 20-11-2004, 04:06 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Matthew J.E. Durkin" wrote in message
Hi All,
I have just germinated a desert rose seed, the seedling is about 3"

tall now
with 2 leaves on top. I still have it in my propagator.

I am totally ignorant about this. What is a desert rose? I know it
only as a mineral. See for example the Hamlyn Guide to Minerals,
rocks and fossils.

It's a name for Alygoyne hakeifolia, and also Aeonium obesum. And (with
Sturt's name in front) Gossypium sturtianum. I guess it's the Aeonium
which is meant.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://www.malvaceae.info/

Old 20-11-2004, 08:35 PM
Franz Heymann

"Matthew J.E. Durkin" wrote in message
"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Matthew J.E. Durkin" wrote in message
Hi All,
I have just germinated a desert rose seed, the seedling is about

3"
tall now
with 2 leaves on top. I still have it in my propagator.

I am totally ignorant about this. What is a desert rose? I know

it
only as a mineral. See for example the Hamlyn Guide to Minerals,
rocks and fossils.

At what point would it be OK to remove it from the propagator and

transfer
to a windowsill?

Adenium Obesum
Grow as a natural bonsai in a small container.
found a site that seems to answer my own question!
http://www.angelfire.com/hi/AdeniumsofHawaii/

It looks like an interesting plant, but what is the connection between
it and a bonsai tree?
The RHS encyclopedia describes it as a frost tender perennial
succulent, very prone to rotting.

Franz

Franz

Old 20-11-2004, 08:40 PM
Franz Heymann

news
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Matthew J.E. Durkin" wrote in message
Hi All,
I have just germinated a desert rose seed, the seedling is about

3"
tall now
with 2 leaves on top. I still have it in my propagator.

I am totally ignorant about this. What is a desert rose? I know it
only as a mineral. See for example the Hamlyn Guide to Minerals,
rocks and fossils.

It's a name for Alygoyne hakeifolia, and also Aeonium obesum. And

(with
Sturt's name in front) Gossypium sturtianum. I guess it's the

Aeonium
which is meant.

According to the RHS encyclopedia it is Adenium obesum which is the
desert rose.
According to the same book, the only Aeoniums listed are arboretum,
haworthii and tubuliforme

Franz

Old 20-11-2004, 09:39 PM
Cereus-validus...

There is no such thing as Aeonium obesum. You mean Adenium obesum.

The popular common name "Desert Rose" is not really appropriate. It looks
more like it should be called "Desert Rhododendron" from the appearance of
the flowers.

news
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

Old 20-11-2004, 09:41 PM
Cereus-validus...

Adenium obseum is better described as a tender xerophytic pachycaul shrub
rather than a perennial. Its like an Oleander with a weight problem.

Old 20-11-2004, 09:44 PM
Cereus-validus...

You better get rid of that RHS encyclopedia of yours, Franz. Its loaded with
mistakes.

That's Aeonium arboreum and Aeonium tabuliforme not the gogglty gook you
wrote. There are many more species in the genus than just the three you
mention.

Old 21-11-2004, 07:27 AM
Franz Heymann

"Cereus-validus..." wrote in message
. ..

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Matthew J.E. Durkin" wrote in message
"Franz Heymann" wrote in

message

[...]

For a botanist, maybe. For a gardener, no.

Franz

Old 21-11-2004, 07:36 AM
Franz Heymann

"Cereus-validus..." wrote in message
. ..
"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote in

message
news
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

[...]

Thanks for the advice, but I'll stick to the RHS book.

That's Aeonium arboreum and Aeonium tabuliforme not the gogglty gook

you
wrote. There are many more species in the genus than just the three

you
mention.

Google on the combination containing both phrases "Adenium obesum"
"Desert rose"
and you will find 3,800 reasons why I will stick to the RHS book
rather than your flawed opinions.

Franz

Old 21-11-2004, 10:34 AM
Cereus-validus...

For a gardener yes, you dim wit Franzy.

Since you obviously heve never grown Adenium obesum, you are not at all
qualified to speak for those who do.

http://www.cactus-mall.com/andre/index.html

http://www.hort.wisc.edu/mastergarde...se/adenium.htm

Old 21-11-2004, 10:38 AM
Cereus-validus...

How can you read your beloved RHS encyclopedia with your head up your ass,
Franzy?

You obviously don't have enough sense to check things out for yourself
rather than depend on the second hand lame opinions in some hack picture
book.

Old 21-11-2004, 12:02 PM
Matthew J.E. Durkin

"Cereus-validus..." wrote in message
om...
[...]

Let me clarify!

Desert Rose = Adenium Obesum
no questions or further discussion on that point required!!!
It is nothing to do with Aeonium.

As it turns out there are now lots of varieties and cultivars of the Adenium
as it is a popular houseplant in Asia. Why it hasn't caught on here I'm not
sure, but I bought some seeds to see if I could find out!
The reason I mentioned bonsai, is that when grown indoors in a small pot, it
grows as a miniature - i.e. a small plant rather than a very large bush
which is how it is formed in the wild. They keep a nice compant shape and
cover themselves in pretty 2" flowers twice a year. I have always been
interested in more unusual plants, and in the adenium, I think I have found
one of my favourites (though so far I only have a seedling!).
I'll try to remember to let everyone know how it's looking in a years time.
For now, rather astonishingly, after 1 week the seedling is about 3" tall
and about ¼ (one quarter) of an inch wide. Apparently it is a very fast
grower for the first couple of years, after which it slows down.

The previous comment about rot is mostly correct. The plant grows in very
well drained and dry conditoins (desert) ... It stores water in its
trunk/stem. Therefore it must be grown in a well drained mix, and kept
fairly dry. However to germinate it needs quite damp conditions. Hence my
original question about when to reduce the moisture!

If anyone out there has one growing I'd be intrigued to find out how well it
grows here indoors in the UK...

Thanks all,
Matt