Old 27-11-2004, 12:50 PM
Juco

Default seeds

is the ability for seeds to germinate governed by a `time clock` or by
temperature? I am thinking of taking some nasturtium seeds to turkey (from
UK) to plant at xmas where the weather will be low 60s in the hope they will
germinate and flower for me going back in May. Does this sound feasable?

Old 27-11-2004, 01:01 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Juco wrote:
is the ability for seeds to germinate governed by a `time clock` or by
temperature? I am thinking of taking some nasturtium seeds to turkey (from
UK) to plant at xmas where the weather will be low 60s in the hope they will
germinate and flower for me going back in May. Does this sound feasable?

Generally temperature and similar factors. What you propose sounds
more than simply feasible - provided that you are talking about the
southern coast of Turkey. Anatolia and similar high, inland areas
are likely to see significant frosts, and nasturtiums are very
sensitive to frost.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-11-2004, 03:00 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Juco" contains these words:

is the ability for seeds to germinate governed by a `time clock` or by
temperature? I am thinking of taking some nasturtium seeds to turkey (from
UK) to plant at xmas where the weather will be low 60s in the hope they will
germinate and flower for me going back in May. Does this sound feasable?

Wot - plant them at Christmas to flower last May?

No, that doesn't sound feasible unless you've found a loop in time.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 27-11-2004, 05:00 PM
Kay

In article , Juco
writes
is the ability for seeds to germinate governed by a `time clock` or by
temperature?

There are lots of mechanisms depending on which seed you are talking
about - eg some will germinate only in the light and not when buried.

I am thinking of taking some nasturtium seeds to turkey (from
UK) to plant at xmas where the weather will be low 60s in the hope they will
germinate and flower for me going back in May. Does this sound feasable?

Eminently feasible. Nasturtiums are basically perennial, but we grow
them as annuals because they are very frost sensitive. Once grown, the
seem to carry on flowering forever -certainly ones in my greenhouse
carry on flowering all winter.

But I don't know how they'd feel about the heat of the Turkish summer.

--
Kay

Old 27-11-2004, 05:29 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 15:00:34 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:
The message
from "Juco" contains these words:

is the ability for seeds to germinate governed by a `time clock` or by
temperature? I am thinking of taking some nasturtium seeds to
turkey (from
UK) to plant at xmas where the weather will be low 60s in the hope
they will
germinate and flower for me going back in May. Does this sound feasable?

Wot - plant them at Christmas to flower last May?

No, that doesn't sound feasible unless you've found a loop in time.

It's the 60s weather, another ice age imminent etc.

It's only about 40 years, since UK changed from DegF to DegC.

So that's what's causing globular warning! It just dozen understand °C innit.

Bring back old money! Denarii Rule!

Old 27-11-2004, 08:54 PM
Juco

Martin,

Not even remotely humorous

Juco

Old 27-11-2004, 10:50 PM
Franz Heymann

"Juco" wrote in message
Martin,
wrote:

The message
from "Juco" contains these words:

is the ability for seeds to germinate governed by a `time

clock` or by
temperature? I am thinking of taking some nasturtium seeds to

turkey
(from
UK) to plant at xmas where the weather will be low 60s in the

hope they
will
germinate and flower for me going back in May. Does this sound

feasable?

Wot - plant them at Christmas to flower last May?

No, that doesn't sound feasible unless you've found a loop in

time.

It's the 60s weather, another ice age imminent etc.

It's only about 40 years, since UK changed from DegF to DegC.

Not even remotely humorous

Facts are not necessarily humorous.

Franz

Old 28-11-2004, 09:53 AM
Juco

Thanks Kay,

I realise that the Summer heat may well destroy them but thought it would be
nice to have some flowers blooming in May when we return, I will give it a
try and see what happens.

thanks
Juco
"Kay" wrote in message