Old 28-11-2004, 01:51 PM
Broadback

Default Poor onion keeping

My onions did quite well this year, however though I treated them
exactly the same as last year at least 50% have rotted on their strings.
Any ideas as to where I may have gone wrong?
TIA
Old 28-11-2004, 06:30 PM
Rod

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 13:51:08 +0000, Broadback
wrote:

My onions did quite well this year, however though I treated them
exactly the same as last year at least 50% have rotted on their strings.
Any ideas as to where I may have gone wrong?
TIA

It's been exceptionally difficult to get it right this year. Here in
N. Wales the hot dry early summer checked growth and I wasn't here to
water them, then the usual late summer deluge came early before it was
really time to harvest them. When that happens there's fungal spores
in them on them and around them waiting for you to make a mistake; so
you really have to lift them sooner than you'd like and find an airy
dry sunny place to lay them out to finish ripening, then you than need
to take even more care than usual in inspecting and cleaning them
before storing them.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.