Old 01-12-2004, 08:22 PM
Mike Lyle

Kay wrote:
In article , Mike Lyle
mike_lyle_uk@REM OVETHISyahoo.co.uk writes
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

I've got a bag of stones to plant - I want a hunza hedge...

Please tell us how you get on. My guess is that they would do
best in the poorest and stoniest soil, but might not fruit well
except in the very hottest summer.

I shall keep the group informed. Stones soaking now.

I'd still like to know if Hunza apricots are a particular variety,

or
just the result of a particular way of drying any variety suitable
for that area. I fear I got tired of all the dross produced by Gg
when I searched on hunza apricot.

I chucked in a 'prunus' into your search and got nothing, so took

the
quotes off round the "hunza apricot" and got this as the second

hit:

"Nowadays serious 'foodies' insist that the best dried apricots are
the sun-dried Hunza variety, which come from the eponymous small
kingdom in north-western Kashmir, and which are reputed to be
responsible for the extreme longevity of the Hunza people."

The first his also referred to them as being sun dried apricots.

Yes, I think that's one of the ones I got, too, among all the "Hunza
people don't get cancer" stuff!

I have to say that, though I love them, they aren't automatically
"the best": it depends what you want to do with them.

Mike.

Old 02-12-2004, 11:46 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message

I shall keep the group informed. Stones soaking now.

I'd still like to know if Hunza apricots are a particular variety, or
just the result of a particular way of drying any variety suitable
for that area. I fear I got tired of all the dross produced by Gg
when I searched on hunza apricot.

A particular variety. The fruit remains on the bush (not tree) and come
from (IIRC) fairly arid regions of Asia, and where it can get somewhat
chilly during the winter.

Certainly the kernels seem to taste sweeter than those of other
kinds, so presumably less cyanide.

If i get round to it I extract the kernels and toast them. That destroys
the cyanide. They can then be used like almonds, in plum duff, fruit
cakes and similar.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 02-12-2004, 05:03 PM
Mike Lyle

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "Mike Lyle" [...]
Certainly the kernels seem to taste sweeter than those of other
kinds, so presumably less cyanide.

If i get round to it I extract the kernels and toast them. That
destroys the cyanide. [...]

Oh dear! I just eat them without further formality. I don't think I'm
dead.

Mike.

Old 02-12-2004, 10:04 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "Mike Lyle" [...]

Certainly the kernels seem to taste sweeter than those of other
kinds, so presumably less cyanide.

If i get round to it I extract the kernels and toast them. That
destroys the cyanide. [...]

Oh dear! I just eat them without further formality. I don't think I'm
dead.

Well, probably not all the way through...

Old 03-12-2004, 09:19 AM
Franz Heymann

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in
message k...
The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these

words:
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "Mike Lyle" [...]

Certainly the kernels seem to taste sweeter than those of other
kinds, so presumably less cyanide.

If i get round to it I extract the kernels and toast them. That
destroys the cyanide. [...]

Oh dear! I just eat them without further formality. I don't think

I'm
dead.

Well, probably not all the way through...

Like the curate's egg?

Franz

Old 03-12-2004, 09:58 AM
June Hughes

In message , Franz Heymann
writes

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in
message k...
The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these

words:
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "Mike Lyle" [...]

Old 03-12-2004, 11:07 AM
Mike Lyle

Martin wrote:
On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 22:04:35 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains

these
words:
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "Mike Lyle" [...]

Certainly the kernels seem to taste sweeter than those of other
kinds, so presumably less cyanide.

If i get round to it I extract the kernels and toast them. That
destroys the cyanide. [...]

Oh dear! I just eat them without further formality. I don't think
I'm dead.

Well, probably not all the way through...

Just from the neck up? :-)

With friends like you, who needs enemies?

Mike.