Old 29-11-2004, 02:43 PM
ex WGS Hamm

Default tree leaves

I was sat on the loo this morning looking out at the garden (as you do) It
is nice sitting in the warm watching the birds on the bird tables, and
seeing the chickens scratching about. I was admiring the marquerade climbing
rose which rambles about over the bathroom windos and the fence next to it.
It has hips and flowers on it at the moment. Anyway, I was looking out at
bare trees and noticed that the peach tree still has all its leaves on. All
nice and green too. So has the olive tree. Odd eh? I would have though,
since they both come from warmer climes, that they would drop their leaves
first.
p.s. everyone should have a ground floor bathroom with clear glazed windows
looking out onto their garden :0)

Old 29-11-2004, 03:06 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article , "ex WGS Hamm" writes:
| I was sat on the loo this morning looking out at the garden (as you do) It
| is nice sitting in the warm watching the birds on the bird tables, and
| seeing the chickens scratching about. I was admiring the marquerade climbing
| rose which rambles about over the bathroom windos and the fence next to it.
| It has hips and flowers on it at the moment. Anyway, I was looking out at
| bare trees and noticed that the peach tree still has all its leaves on. All
| nice and green too. So has the olive tree. Odd eh? I would have though,
| since they both come from warmer climes, that they would drop their leaves
| first.

Olives are evergreen.

| p.s. everyone should have a ground floor bathroom with clear glazed windows
| looking out onto their garden :0)

The best one I know of is at the top of a hill, facing onto a road,
and has a completely open front. Of course, the road is 8 miles
away and there is woodland in between :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-11-2004, 03:20 PM
Duncan Heenan

"ex WGS Hamm" wrote in message
I was sat on the loo this morning looking out at the garden (as you do) It
is nice sitting in the warm watching the birds on the bird tables, and
seeing the chickens scratching about. I was admiring the marquerade
climbing
rose which rambles about over the bathroom windos and the fence next to
it.
It has hips and flowers on it at the moment. Anyway, I was looking out at
bare trees and noticed that the peach tree still has all its leaves on.
All
nice and green too. So has the olive tree. Odd eh? I would have though,
since they both come from warmer climes, that they would drop their leaves
first.
p.s. everyone should have a ground floor bathroom with clear glazed
windows
looking out onto their garden :0)

My peach and nectarine both still have leaves, albeit looking a bit sad now.
They are always the first to blossom & leaf too.

Old 29-11-2004, 03:54 PM
Neil Jones

"ex WGS Hamm" wrote in message
[...]

Trees don't necessarily drop their leaves in response to cold weather -
often it is due to the changing day length.

Neil

Old 29-11-2004, 04:21 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Duncan Heenan" contains these words:

My peach and nectarine both still have leaves, albeit looking a bit
sad now.
They are always the first to blossom & leaf too.

I have a second year hunza apricot, and its leaves are still green and
clinging grimly to the wood.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 29-11-2004, 06:09 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades writes:
| The message
| from "Duncan Heenan" contains these words:
|
| My peach and nectarine both still have leaves, albeit looking a bit
| sad now.
| They are always the first to blossom & leaf too.
|
| I have a second year hunza apricot, and its leaves are still green and
| clinging grimly to the wood.

Well what would you expect from one of them? It's probably
wondering what's happened to winter.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-11-2004, 06:40 PM
Mike Lyle

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades writes:
The message
from "Duncan Heenan" contains these
words:

My peach and nectarine both still have leaves, albeit looking a

bit
sad now.
They are always the first to blossom & leaf too.

I have a second year hunza apricot, and its leaves are still

green
and clinging grimly to the wood.

Well what would you expect from one of them? It's probably
wondering what's happened to winter.

Fascinating: I love those things*, and never knew if it was a variety
or just a way of treating the fruit. Is yours from seed, Rusty?

*Simply soaked overnight and served with Greek yogurt.

Mike.

Old 29-11-2004, 07:34 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Neil Jones" contains these words:

/snip/

p.s. everyone should have a ground floor bathroom with clear glazed

windows
looking out onto their garden :0)

Trees don't necessarily drop their leaves in response to cold weather -
often it is due to the changing day length.

Or hang on to provide a screen to protect the modesty of urglers.

Old 30-11-2004, 01:00 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

I have a second year hunza apricot, and its leaves are still

green
and clinging grimly to the wood.

Well what would you expect from one of them? It's probably
wondering what's happened to winter.

Fascinating: I love those things*, and never knew if it was a variety
or just a way of treating the fruit. Is yours from seed, Rusty?

Yes. I gave most of them away as at the time I had nowhere to put them.
I'm putting 35 stones into deepish compost and leaving them outside to
their own devices.

*Simply soaked overnight and served with Greek yogurt.

I like them just as they are.

Old 30-11-2004, 09:41 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

I've got a bag of stones to plant - I want a hunza hedge...

Please tell us how you get on. My guess is that they would do
best in the poorest and stoniest soil, but might not fruit well
except in the very hottest summer.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:06 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Mike Lyle" writes:

| I'd still like to know if Hunza apricots are a particular variety, or
| just the result of a particular way of drying any variety suitable
| for that area. I fear I got tired of all the dross produced by Gg
| when I searched on hunza apricot.
|
| Certainly the kernels seem to taste sweeter than those of other
| kinds, so presumably less cyanide.

A distinct variety or, rather, group of varieties.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.