Old 12-12-2004, 11:44 AM
Les and Claire

Default Houseplant Woes!

Hi All!
I've got a question about houseplants. I'm plagued by a white
fluffy mould on the surface of the compost on all my houseplants. I scrape
it off and top dress only to have it return. Is there something I can water
on to eradicate this unsightly mould? Preferably within the realms of
organic gardening as we have a bearded dragon in the same room and fear the
possibility of poisoning him.

Les

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to Reply

http://armsofmorpheus.blogspot.com/

"Why of course the people don't want war. But after all, it is the
leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it is always a
simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or
a fascist dictatorship, Voice or no voice, the people can always be
brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to
do is to tell them that they are being attacked, and denounce the
pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger."

-Herman Goering,
Hitler's designated successor

http://www.stuffmongers.com/

Old 12-12-2004, 04:14 PM
Neil Tonks

Top dressing with grit may help, as the mould grows on wet surfaces and the
surface of grit will dry up faster than compost.

Take care not to overwater the plants, too - if the compost is permanently
saturated, this will encourage mould growth and isn't generally good for the
plants either. For most subjects, allowing the surface to dry out between
waterings is a good thing.

--
Neil

Visit my Peak District walking website - www.peakwalking.co.uk

Old 13-12-2004, 12:31 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les and Claire
Hi All!
I've got a question about houseplants. I'm plagued by a white
fluffy mould on the surface of the compost on all my houseplants.
i agree...top dress with a quarter of an inch of 10mm (hmm mixing my imperial and metric here) sharp horticultural grit...and hey presto !!! problem disappears.
Old 13-12-2004, 10:28 PM
Les and Claire

"Eyebright" wrote in message

Les and Claire Wrote:
Hi All!
I've got a question about houseplants. I'm plagued by a white
fluffy mould on the surface of the compost on all my houseplants.

i agree...top dress with a quarter of an inch of 10mm (hmm mixing my
imperial and metric here) sharp horticultural grit...and hey presto !!!
problem disappears.

--
Eyebright

Splendid idea.. I'll pick some up next garden centre trip )

Les

Old 14-12-2004, 03:21 AM
Franz Heymann

"Eyebright" wrote in
message ...

Les and Claire Wrote:
Hi All!
I've got a question about houseplants. I'm plagued by a white
fluffy mould on the surface of the compost on all my houseplants.

i agree...top dress with a quarter of an inch of 10mm (hmm mixing my
imperial and metric here) sharp horticultural grit...and hey presto

!!!
problem disappears.

Since a quarter of an inch is only 6.35 mm, your precept is impossible
to apply.

Franz

Old 15-12-2004, 03:14 AM
Les and Claire

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Eyebright" wrote in
message ...

Les and Claire Wrote:
Hi All!
I've got a question about houseplants. I'm plagued by a white
fluffy mould on the surface of the compost on all my houseplants.

i agree...top dress with a quarter of an inch of 10mm (hmm mixing my
imperial and metric here) sharp horticultural grit...and hey presto

!!!
problem disappears.

Since a quarter of an inch is only 6.35 mm, your precept is impossible
to apply.

Franz

Only if the grit is 10mm along all vertices. It could be roughly ovoid and
pack to the depth of it's width.

Les (Smartarse in Chief)

Old 15-12-2004, 11:37 PM
Registered User

hmm make that a centimetre then....oh and 5mm - 10mm sharp grit and 2mm screen the grit first if ya really wanna be cool...this stuff also works in breaking the lifecycle of those horrible tiny black flying insects...i forget the name...that colonise houseplants and apparently love the comp screen in office environments...the eggs are laid on moist compost...the grit interrupts the life-cycle...hey presto..!!...no more tiny annoying flies...shove the grit in the base of the pot to cover the crocks also...mixed units i was brought up on threepenny bits and only know hot in fahrenheit and cold in centigrade..!!

Webb Starting woes Bevilready Lawns 3 01-04-2009 09:40 AM
Wildflower woes. Whit Texas 9 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
new product(?)electric fencing for raccoon woes K30a Ponds 3 24-02-2003 11:10 PM
new product(?)electric fencing for raccoon woes K30a Ponds 2 24-02-2003 10:29 PM
Algae woes Stuart Mueller Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 09-02-2003 01:53 PM