Old 12-12-2004, 02:31 PM
Tony Benfield

Default outside or green house?

I have recently bought some young plants-
a Philadelphus and some Cornas Alba.

I have put them into pots temporarily, as the area that I am going to plant
them up in, won't be prepared until spring.

my question is should I leave them outside (as they are at the moment) or
should I put them into the green house for protection?

thanks in advance

Tony.

Old 12-12-2004, 03:54 PM
Emrys Davies

'Tony',

Both shrubs are classed as 'Fully Hardy' which means that they will
withstand temperatures down to -15°c (5°F).

However, the roots of your particular plants are probably quite tender
at the moment so if the weather becomes severe it would be best if you
placed them in the greenhouse well away from its windows and cover them
with newspaper or similar during the night.

Definitely best not to subject them to a heated greenhouse.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 12-12-2004, 05:58 PM
Mike Lyle

Emrys Davies wrote:
"Tony Benfield" wrote in message
I have recently bought some young plants-
a Philadelphus and some Cornas Alba.

I have put them into pots temporarily, as the area that I am going
to plant them up in, won't be prepared until spring.

my question is should I leave them outside (as they are at the
moment) or should I put them into the green house for protection?

Both shrubs are classed as 'Fully Hardy' which means that they will
withstand temperatures down to -15°c (5°F).

However, the roots of your particular plants are probably quite

tender
at the moment so if the weather becomes severe it would be best if

you
placed them in the greenhouse well away from its windows and cover
them with newspaper or similar during the night.

Definitely best not to subject them to a heated greenhouse.

(Thread rebuilt)

That's sound. But I'd temporarily pop them in the ground somewhere if
there's a little room to spare, rather than leave them in pots. Less
trouble.

Mike.

Old 12-12-2004, 06:23 PM
Rod

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 18:11:14 -0000, "Tony Benfield"
wrote:

thanks for that, my green house is frost guard heated at the moment- would
that matter?

"Tony Benfield" wrote in message
I have recently bought some young plants-
a Philadelphus and some Cornas Alba.

I have put them into pots temporarily, as the area that I am going to
plant them up in, won't be prepared until spring.

my question is should I leave them outside (as they are at the moment) or
should I put them into the green house for protection?

thanks in advance

Tony.

They'll be fine outside but the roots will be vulnerable to frost
unless you plunge the pots in well drained ground or in peat, compost,
or inulating material like woodchippings, bracken, straw etc. When
most shrubs were sold bare rooted in the winter you would simply have
'heeled them in' (planted temporarily) until you were ready to plant
them properly.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.

Old 12-12-2004, 10:29 PM
David Hill

Tony wrote ..."I have recently bought some young plants-
a Philadelphus and some Cornas Alba.

I have put them into pots temporarily, as the area that I am going to plant
them up in, won't be prepared until spring................."

Knock them out of the pots, dig a small trench and pop the roots into this
trench and firm the soil in around them.
In the spring when you are ready to plant them in their final home, lift
them carefully, they may have started to make new root by then, and plant as
normal.
If you leave them in the pots, they just might get to dry and not be able to
reach the soil moisture.

--
David Hill

www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Old 13-12-2004, 12:04 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

That's sound. But I'd temporarily pop them in the ground somewhere if
there's a little room to spare, rather than leave them in pots. Less
trouble.

You missed - 'leave them in the pots and'...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 13-12-2004, 10:42 AM
Green door

I agree with Davids approach.

Dig trench, heel them in and plant in final positions when the ground
becomes available, and workable.

The protection of a greenhouse is not needed. But what is needed is
protection for the roots, which if left in pots may get frozen.

Phil