Old 14-11-2002, 08:01 PM
Gadget Git

Default Trees in pots

I have purchased a few small trees. Some of them are evergreen (Eucalyptus).
Is there any harm in leaving them in their supplied black plastic pots in a
wind-sheltered passage way over the winter where I can look at them out of
the kitchen window?

Old 14-11-2002, 08:11 PM
Drakanthus

"Gadget Git" wrote in message
I have purchased a few small trees. Some of them are evergreen

(Eucalyptus).
Is there any harm in leaving them in their supplied black plastic pots in

wind-sheltered passage way over the winter where I can look at them out of
the kitchen window?

I kept a small Eucalyptus outdoors in a pot for two years before planting it
at our new house. It got a bit pot bound but otherwise it was fine. If you
do eventually plant it, be warned that it will grow very big very quickly -
so pick the right spot for it!

Drakanthus.

Old 14-11-2002, 08:20 PM
JennyC

"Gadget Git" wrote in message
I have purchased a few small trees. Some of them are evergreen

(Eucalyptus).
Is there any harm in leaving them in their supplied black plastic

pots in a
wind-sheltered passage way over the winter where I can look at them

out of
the kitchen window?

I've got several trees in pots. An oak, a couple of evergreen pine
trees, etc etc.
They have been in their various pots for several years and are doing
fine.
Jenny

Old 14-11-2002, 08:57 PM
DaveDay34

Is there any harm in leaving them in their supplied black plastic pots in a
wind-sheltered passage way over the winter where I can look at them out of
the kitchen window?

They may well need the odd drop of water from time to time as any passageway is
likely to be rather dry for them. You might want to consider standing the pot
on a tray that can be kept topped up with water from time to time.

Dave.
Old 14-11-2002, 09:17 PM
JennyC

"DaveDay34" wrote in message
Is there any harm in leaving them in their supplied black plastic

pots in a
wind-sheltered passage way over the winter where I can look at them

out of
the kitchen window?

They may well need the odd drop of water from time to time as any

passageway is
likely to be rather dry for them. You might want to consider

standing the pot
on a tray that can be kept topped up with water from time to time.
Dave.

Just be careful that they don't freeze solid..........:~(
Jenny

Old 15-11-2002, 12:31 AM
Carol Russell

Is there any harm in leaving them in their supplied black plastic pots in

wind-sheltered passage way over the winter where I can look at them out

of
the kitchen window?

They may well need the odd drop of water from time to time as any

passageway is
likely to be rather dry for them. You might want to consider standing the

pot
on a tray that can be kept topped up with water from time to time.

Dave.

If you stand them in a tray they could very easily rot at the roots. I stand
my pots ( all year round on ) old carpet, I find this reduces the amount of
watering they need.

--
Art
Swap seeds at

Old 15-11-2002, 12:53 AM
Emrys Davies

The last thing you want is for them to be standing in water.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 16-11-2002, 08:20 PM
DaveDay34

The last thing you want is for them to be standing in water.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Several people have commented that if the pots are standing in water it will
rot the roots, etc. I thought it went without saying that the pots should be
deep enough, and the water level low enough for the compost/soil to draw up the
required amount of water to prevent the plants from drying out, while not
becomming waterlogged. It appears that it should have been said, and I
appologise for not saying it in the first place. Most medium to large sized
pots stood in an inch of water or less will not become waterlogged and it will
prevent the plant in the pot from drying out.

I hope things are a little clearer now (?).

Dave.
Old 17-11-2002, 12:01 AM
Chris Stewart

"Gadget Git" wrote in message
I have purchased a few small trees. Some of them are evergreen

(Eucalyptus).
Is there any harm in leaving them in their supplied black plastic pots in

wind-sheltered passage way over the winter where I can look at them out of
the kitchen window?

You don't say where you stay, but up here in the frozen north (Aberdeen) I'd
be worried about the pots freezing as some others have pointed out - if they
are at all root bound, you could at least give them another size up for a
pot - and thus add some protection to the root ball.

Chris S

Old 17-11-2002, 02:09 AM
Hussein M.

On 16 Nov 2002 20:20:53 GMT, (DaveDay34) wrote:

The last thing you want is for them to be standing in water.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Several people have commented that if the pots are standing in water it will
rot the roots, etc. I thought it went without saying that the pots should be
deep enough, and the water level low enough for the compost/soil to draw up the
required amount of water to prevent the plants from drying out, while not
becomming waterlogged. It appears that it should have been said, and I
appologise for not saying it in the first place. Most medium to large sized
pots stood in an inch of water or less will not become waterlogged and it will
prevent the plant in the pot from drying out.

Yes Dave, I understand what you are saying but be careful because
"osmosis" is stronger than gravity. I know it depends on how open the
structure of the soil is, but you can waterlog all the soil in a pot
by continually adding water from the bottom. Even if the reservoir of
water only reaches only half and inch up from the bottom of the pot
and the pot is nine inches high.

Have you ever noticed that when you water a pot and the water runs out
of the bottom of the pot into a tray, you can be surprised when you
look moments later to find that the tray no longer has any water in
it? Osmosis will operate until all the soil is truly saturated.

Respect

Hussein

Old 17-11-2002, 08:33 AM
JennyC

"DaveDay34" wrote ..
[...]

Standing the pots in reservoirs in summer is a brilliant idea, but
maybe not so good during the winter months :~))

You can wrap the pots in bubble wrap to decrease the risk of the
rootball freezing. I then wrap an old bamboo type beach mat around the
bubble wrap. this gives even more protection and looks nice too :~)

Jenny

Old 17-11-2002, 03:58 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 20:01:39 +0000 (UTC), "Gadget Git"
wrote:

I have purchased a few small trees. Some of them are evergreen (Eucalyptus).
Is there any harm in leaving them in their supplied black plastic pots in a
wind-sheltered passage way over the winter where I can look at them out of
the kitchen window?

Sink the pots into the ground for the winter, someplace that
isn't soaking wet. Don't leave them too long in the ground come
spring, or roots will find their way out of the drain holes and
into the surrounding soil.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 19-11-2002, 08:36 PM
DaveDay34

Have you ever noticed that when you water a pot and the water runs out
of the bottom of the pot into a tray, you can be surprised when you
look moments later to find that the tray no longer has any water in
it? Osmosis will operate until all the soil is truly saturated.

Respect

Hussein

Osmosis doesn't operate until all the soil is saturated. Different soils will
hold differing amounts of water (Field Capacity). I think the advice I gave
was accurate given that it was general advice. To give specific advice I'd
have to know hugely more about the trees/pots involved and their position, etc.
than I do at present. The original concern was about water requirements, as
far as I can remember. If there are concerns about freezing, then that's
another point entirely.

If osmosis is going to lead to waterlogging, then you've got serious problems
with your growing medium. Most soils/growing mediums that are any good at all
will not become waterlogged when a large pot (it is a trees/trees we're talking
about here) are stood in shallow trays with a little water in. Osmosis just
isn't that efficient, and has it's limits. Unless the pot receives rain or is
watered from the top, the top layer of soil/growing medium is unlikely to be
wet, let alone waterlogged.

Watering in the way I suggested has several benefits. It doesn't wash
nutrients through the soil/growing medium and out the bottom of the pot
(leaching) as watering from above does. The plant is encouraged to send roots
downwards and should therefore have a better root structure. The plant is
unlikely to suffer from fluctuations between drought and having plenty of water
that can occur with sporadic watering.

If someone wants further details I'd be happy to answer any questions. If I
don't know about something, I don't give answers. If my answers are not
detailed enough, I'll happily give fuller explanations. A good start for
gardeners who want to better understand plants would be to invest in a copy of
Principles of Horticulture, published by Butterworth Heinemann. They have a
web site at www.bh.com. The book is very readable and easy to understand. It
explains many aspects of plant biology and soil science and I'd recommend it.

Dave.