Old 03-01-2005, 06:08 PM
Sacha

Default Waterborne danger?

"6 Advice on management of waterborne outbreaks of cryptosporidiosis

6.1 Introduction

6.1.1 The First Report of the Group of Experts on Cryptosporidium in Water
Supplies 1990 (Badenoch 1990) made recommendations concerning the membership
and terms of reference of Outbreak Control Teams (OCTs) in the event of an
outbreak of cryptosporidiosis. The Second Report (Badenoch 1995) further
recognised the need for an Incident Management Team (IMT).

6.1.2 Since that time an increased understanding of cryptosporidial
infection has been gained, as too has experience in incident and outbreak
investigations and management. IMTs and OCTs are seen as part of the overall
arrangements by health authorities for the control of communicable disease
and as such are very practical teams whose aim is the protection of public
health by the prevention of infection. The teams are not collectors of
evidence for legal purposes nor are they concerned with the maintenance of a
commercial position by the water utility. The teams need to apply high
standards of professional ethics and in particular ensure that patient
confidentiality is maintained."
http://www.dwi.gov.uk/pubs/bouchier/bou006.htm

And then there's this jolly piece:
"Dangers of Chlorine

Provided by Jerry Smith, author of "HAARP: The Ultimate Weapon of the
Conspiracy"

"Cancer risks among people drinking chlorinated water is 93% higher than
among those whose water does not contain chlorine." -- Dr. J.M. Price MD
NEW SCIENTIST 18 September 1986 - Ian Anderson
"Studies indicates the suspect to chemicals can also be inhaled and absorbed
through the skin during showering and bathing." "Ironically, even the
chlorine widely used to disinfect water produces Carcinogenic traces."
"Though 7 out of 10 Americans drink chlorinated water, its safety over long
term is uncertain." "Drinking chlorinated water may as much as double the
risk of Bladder Cancer, which strikes 40,000 people a year."
U.S. NEWS &WORLD REPORT - July 29 1991
Is Your Water Safe--The Dangerous State of Your Water
"A long hot shower can be dangerous. The toxic chemicals are inhaled in high
concentrations."
CHLORINE AND YOUR SHOWER - Bruce Black
"Taking long hot showers is a health risk, according to research presented
last week in Anaheim California, at a meeting of the American Chemical
Society--and to a lesser extent baths--lead to a greater exposure to toxic
chemicals contained in water supplies than does drinking the water. The
chemicals evaporate out of the water and are inhaled. They can also spread
through the house and be inhaled by others. House holders can receive 6 to
100 times more of the chemical by breathing the air around showers and bath
than they would by drinking the water."
http://curezone.com/art/read.asp?ID=21&db=3&C0=13

And if that's not enough fun, there's Acanthamoeba, which can infect the
cornea and turn people blind and of course, there's always good old E.coli.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 04-01-2005, 10:43 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Cryptosporidiosis. [ It isn't much worse than salmonella, which
| really isn't a major issue. ]

| Dangers of Chlorine. [ Life is carcinogenic - again, a minor
| issue. ]

| And if that's not enough fun, there's Acanthamoeba, which can infect the
| cornea and turn people blind and of course, there's always good old E.coli.

E. coli is good for you - seriously :-)

No, I was referring to something that could (and may well) kill
thousands or more people in one go.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:38 AM
Sacha

On 4/1/05 10:43, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Cryptosporidiosis. [ It isn't much worse than salmonella, which
| really isn't a major issue. ]

| Dangers of Chlorine. [ Life is carcinogenic - again, a minor
| issue. ]

| And if that's not enough fun, there's Acanthamoeba, which can infect the
| cornea and turn people blind and of course, there's always good old E.coli.

E. coli is good for you - seriously :-)

No, I was referring to something that could (and may well) kill
thousands or more people in one go.

Perhaps I *am* better off not knowing! Just tell me if the charcoal filter
on our drinking water tap is going to work! I bet the answer is 'no'. But
if it's terrorist action we're thinking of, attacking our drinking water
with e.g. Anthrax is all too horribly possible and I have a strong feeling
that's been discussed in the press some time ago.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 04-01-2005, 12:29 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Perhaps I *am* better off not knowing! Just tell me if the charcoal filter
| on our drinking water tap is going to work! I bet the answer is 'no'. But
| if it's terrorist action we're thinking of, attacking our drinking water
| with e.g. Anthrax is all too horribly possible and I have a strong feeling
| that's been discussed in the press some time ago.

No, they aren't (the charcoal filters, I mean) :-)

Yes, that possibility was discussed and (despite the press hysteria)
isn't a problem. The filters work fairly well, so putting them in
reservoirs would have little effect, and anthrax spores are almost
non-infective when ingested. Another Camelford incident is far more
likely.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:49 PM
Sacha

On 4/1/05 12:29, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Perhaps I *am* better off not knowing! Just tell me if the charcoal filter
| on our drinking water tap is going to work! I bet the answer is 'no'. But
| if it's terrorist action we're thinking of, attacking our drinking water
| with e.g. Anthrax is all too horribly possible and I have a strong feeling
| that's been discussed in the press some time ago.

No, they aren't (the charcoal filters, I mean) :-)

As I feared......

Yes, that possibility was discussed and (despite the press hysteria)
isn't a problem. The filters work fairly well, so putting them in
reservoirs would have little effect, and anthrax spores are almost
non-infective when ingested. Another Camelford incident is far more
likely.

I did wonder about the latter - horrible and terrible thought.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk