Old 05-01-2005, 09:00 PM
JennyC

Default Revamped home page...

Hello URGlers

I've been giving my homepage a face lift : http://tinyurl.com/5arrc

I've added some pages plant photo's to the gardening bit, which has cheered me
up in the middle of winter and made me impatient for spring to arrive :~)

Jenny

Old 05-01-2005, 10:58 PM
Peter Stockdale

"JennyC" wrote in message
Hello URGlers

I've been giving my homepage a face lift : http://tinyurl.com/5arrc

I've added some pages plant photo's to the gardening bit, which has
cheered me
up in the middle of winter and made me impatient for spring to arrive :~)

Jenny

Hi Jenny
Enjoyed your piccies - especially the Cactus collection.

One gripe your webwise page :-

http://members.rott.chello.nl/ldejag...wise/index.htm

and its subpages do not appear correctly, on my browser anyway. They are
"clipped" on the right-hand side.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 06-01-2005, 03:52 PM
Tom Atkinson

What a range of plants- how do you get so many passifloras to grow and
flower ?
tom Atkinson

Old 06-01-2005, 04:27 PM
JennyC

"Peter Stockdale" wrote in message

"JennyC" wrote in message
Hello URGlers

I've been giving my homepage a face lift : http://tinyurl.com/5arrc

I've added some pages plant photo's to the gardening bit, which has
cheered me
up in the middle of winter and made me impatient for spring to arrive :~)

Jenny

Hi Jenny
Enjoyed your piccies - especially the Cactus collection.

One gripe your webwise page :-

http://members.rott.chello.nl/ldejag...wise/index.htm

and its subpages do not appear correctly, on my browser anyway. They are
"clipped" on the right-hand side.
Regards

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

What browser do you use Pete?
Jenny

Old 06-01-2005, 04:30 PM
JennyC

"JennyC" wrote

"Tom Atkinson" wrote

Hello URGlers
I've been giving my homepage a face lift : http://tinyurl.com/5arrc

I've added some pages plant photo's to the gardening bit, which has

cheered me
up in the middle of winter and made me impatient for spring to arrive :~)

Jenny

What a range of plants- how do you get so many passifloras to grow and
flower ?
tom Atkinson

Tender ones stay in the GH all year round.
The garden ones survive as we are in the middle of the city and it's probably a
few degrees warmer :~)

Jenny

Old 06-01-2005, 05:50 PM
Pete

"JennyC" wrote in message
Hello URGlers

I've been giving my homepage a face lift : http://tinyurl.com/5arrc

I've added some pages plant photo's to the gardening bit, which has
cheered me
up in the middle of winter and made me impatient for spring to arrive
:~)

Jenny

Hi Jenny
Enjoyed your piccies - especially the Cactus collection.

One gripe your webwise page :-

http://members.rott.chello.nl/ldejag...wise/index.htm

and its subpages do not appear correctly, on my browser anyway. They are
"clipped" on the right-hand side.
Regards

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

What browser do you use Pete?
Jenny

Internet Explorer via BT broadband.
Regards
Pete

Old 06-01-2005, 08:28 PM
ned

"JennyC" wrote in message
Hello URGlers

I've been giving my homepage a face lift :

http://tinyurl.com/5arrc

I've added some pages plant photo's to the gardening bit, which

has
cheered me
up in the middle of winter and made me impatient for spring to

arrive :~)

Jenny

Hi Jenny
Enjoyed your piccies - especially the Cactus collection.

One gripe your webwise page :-

http://members.rott.chello.nl/ldejag...wise/index.htm

and its subpages do not appear correctly, on my browser anyway.

They are
"clipped" on the right-hand side.
Regards

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

What browser do you use Pete?

Hi Jenny,
Yes, I liked your cactus images, too.
In your 'Greenhouse in the Sky' page none of the linkable areas of the
garden seemed to work. They all resulted in a 'page not available'
error message.

Then on the 'GH' page there were two window scroll bars on the right
hand side - the inner of which is inset quite a bit and uses up some
of the viewable area. I can remember having to contend with that on my
own website at an early stage. I'm pretty sure it is a browser
compatibility thing. I'm viewing it on WinXP IE6 with a window size of
1024 x 768px.

Some of your cactus images don't have 'alt' or 'title' text - which
may be an oversight - or lack of species identification. Whatever, I
think it is 'encouraged' in good web design to include something
descriptive in case the image does not show (i.e. you only see a blank
box with a red cross in the top left corner).
Your big flowering species are probably Echinopsis types.
i.e. 'thumbnail' row 1 image 2,
row 2 image 1, and
row 7 image 1.
There are many species and cultivars which make them difficult to
positively ID - especially as the flowers only last a day or so. I had
some which flowered overnight (in the wild they are pollinated by
moths) and barely lasted the day out.

And row 2 image 2 is an Echevaria
and row 4 image 2 is probably one of the many Mammillarias
and row 4 image 3 is Lobivia (Chamaecereus) sylvestrii

Your images look good. Clickable enlargements might be appreciated by
any connoisseurs.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 30.12.2004

Old 07-01-2005, 04:16 PM
JennyC

"ned" wrote
"JennyC" wrote
I've been giving my homepage a face lift :

http://tinyurl.com/5arrc

I've added some pages plant photo's to the gardening bit, which

has cheered me
up in the middle of winter and made me impatient for spring to

arrive :~)
Jenny

Hi Jenny,
Yes, I liked your cactus images, too.
In your 'Greenhouse in the Sky' page none of the linkable areas of the
garden seemed to work. They all resulted in a 'page not available'
error message.

Oooops - hasty upload - fixed it

Then on the 'GH' page there were two window scroll bars on the right
hand side - the inner of which is inset quite a bit and uses up some
of the viewable area. I can remember having to contend with that on my
own website at an early stage. I'm pretty sure it is a browser
compatibility thing. I'm viewing it on WinXP IE6 with a window size of
1024 x 768px.

No - its supposee to be like that Ned. Its an 'iframe'. I will experiment with
it over the weeknd to see if its better iwthout a seperate scrollbar.........

Some of your cactus images don't have 'alt' or 'title' text - which
may be an oversight - or lack of species identification. Whatever, I
think it is 'encouraged' in good web design to include something
descriptive in case the image does not show (i.e. you only see a blank
box with a red cross in the top left corner).

Yes i know :~) But I'm not sure what species some of my collection is! I'm VERY
bad at names !!

Your big flowering species are probably Echinopsis types.
i.e. 'thumbnail' row 1 image 2,
row 2 image 1, and
row 7 image 1.

Thanks !! I've added the name

There are many species and cultivars which make them difficult to
positively ID - especially as the flowers only last a day or so. I had
some which flowered overnight (in the wild they are pollinated by
moths) and barely lasted the day out.

And row 2 image 2 is an Echevaria
and row 4 image 2 is probably one of the many Mammillarias
and row 4 image 3 is Lobivia (Chamaecereus) sylvestrii

Right ! Added those and filled in the unknowns - maybe someone else will be able
to fill in :~)

Your images look good. Clickable enlargements might be appreciated by
any connoisseurs.
--
ned

Yes I know, but it is such a big job, and I don't really have time ;~(

Jenny

Old 07-01-2005, 04:17 PM
JennyC

"Pete" wrote
"JennyC" wrote
"Peter Stockdale" wrote
"JennyC" wrote
[...]

Strange. I too have IE and it works here OK........
what screen resolution are you using?
Jenny

Old 07-01-2005, 05:26 PM
Peter Stockdale

"JennyC" wrote in message

[...]

1024 x 768
I have not encountered this problem on any site before.
Please do not worry any more about it .
Thanks for your concern but I was not sure where the fault lay.
If others read it OK, then all is well.

Regards
Pete

Old 07-01-2005, 05:47 PM
Kay

In article , JennyC
writes

Yes i know :~) But I'm not sure what species some of my collection is! I'm VERY
bad at names !!

Your big flowering species are probably Echinopsis types.
i.e. 'thumbnail' row 1 image 2,
row 2 image 1, and
row 7 image 1.

Help! I went to have a look to see if I could identify any - went to
'plants' the 'cacti and fat plants', and all I could see was one row and
the top quarter of a second row, with no way to scroll down!

--
Kay

Old 07-01-2005, 08:58 PM
ned

JennyC wrote:
"ned" wrote

Then on the 'GH' page there were two window scroll bars on the

right
hand side - the inner of which is inset quite a bit and uses up

some
of the viewable area. I can remember having to contend with that on
my own website at an early stage. I'm pretty sure it is a browser
compatibility thing. I'm viewing it on WinXP IE6 with a window size
of 1024 x 768px.

No - its supposee to be like that Ned. Its an 'iframe'. I will
experiment with it over the weeknd to see if its better iwthout a
seperate scrollbar........

............ LOL. Sorry. I got that effect without wanting it. :-))

snip

And row 2 image 2 is an Echevaria
and row 4 image 2 is probably one of the many Mammillarias
and row 4 image 3 is Lobivia (Chamaecereus) sylvestrii

Right ! Added those and filled in the unknowns - maybe someone else
will be able to fill in :~)

.................. Two more.

Row 3 image 2 - Pachyphytum (related to Echevarias, similar flowers)
maybe P. oviferum
Row 4 image 1 - Another Echevaria. There are several furry/hairy
leaved species. I grew it myself about 15 years ago but can't for the
life of me remember its name.

Sorry about being vague but my cactus and succulent collection had to
go when we moved home some 12 years ago. I found it engrossing at the
time though.
Good luck.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 30.12.2004

Old 07-01-2005, 09:51 PM
ned

Jenny,

I've just twigged why Kaye can't see your full page of thumbnails.
It's because of the double scroll bar.
I'll bet that Kaye can only see the outer scroll bar (maybe she only
has a small viewing area) and you need to use the inner scroll bar to
get to the bottom of the page.

Who said web page design was easy! :-))

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 30.12.2004

Old 09-01-2005, 08:21 AM
JennyC

"ned" wrote
JennyC wrote:
"ned" wrote

snip
................. Two more.

Row 3 image 2 - Pachyphytum (related to Echevarias, similar flowers)
maybe P. oviferum
Row 4 image 1 - Another Echevaria. There are several furry/hairy
leaved species. I grew it myself about 15 years ago but can't for the
life of me remember its name.

Sorry about being vague but my cactus and succulent collection had to
go when we moved home some 12 years ago. I found it engrossing at the
time though.
Good luck.
ned

Thanks Ned!
Jenny

Old 09-01-2005, 08:22 AM
JennyC

"ned" wrote in message ...
Jenny,

I've just twigged why Kaye can't see your full page of thumbnails.
It's because of the double scroll bar.
I'll bet that Kaye can only see the outer scroll bar (maybe she only
has a small viewing area) and you need to use the inner scroll bar to
get to the bottom of the page.

Done away with the 'iframe' :~))

Who said web page design was easy! :-))
ned