Old 14-01-2005, 06:33 PM
Sacha

On 14/1/05 15:11, in article , "ex WGS
Hamm" wrote:

snip
Poison for ratty, and hang the fat balls from your washing line snip

Dear heaven, WHAT an idea! The birds do enough harm to our washing as it
is, without luring them towards it. Perhaps some other line strung between
trees well away from the washing line would be better!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 14-01-2005, 06:57 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article , Mike wrote:

Do Rats and Mice use toilet rolls?

I think not ;-))

I have seen them do so.[*]

[*] I mean what I said and I said what I meant. Careful reading
is recommended before jumping to conclusions.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-01-2005, 07:39 PM
JennyC

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 17:34:06 +0100, JennyC wrote:

Looks very robust and should deter mouse and rat alike :~))

What gauage is the mesh? Rats can get through a surprisingly small
hole if they want to. A normal comfortable rat hole is about 1 1/4 to
1/12" dia but they can get through something not much more than 1/2"
dia given a reason, like food...
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Well fairly large mesh, but I don't think ratty will be able to get at it. See
picture at;
http://www.4mywayoflife.com/new/defa...der---suet-bal
l-dispenser

Jenny

Old 14-01-2005, 10:47 PM
ex WGS Hamm

k...
Hamm" wrote:

snip
Poison for ratty, and hang the fat balls from your washing line snip

Dear heaven, WHAT an idea! The birds do enough harm to our washing as it
is, without luring them towards it. Perhaps some other line strung

between
trees well away from the washing line would be better!

Washing line or bird table works for me in winter because I don't hang my
washing out in cold damp weather, I use my tumble dryer instead.

Old 14-01-2005, 10:48 PM
ex WGS Hamm

"Mike" wrote in message

While at the supermarket today I noticed some fat ball silo type

thingies.
Long
metal tube with large 'roof' to keep the rain of and a metal basket at

the
bottom where the fat balls drop into (like those self refilling toilet

roll
whatsits!)

Looks very robust and should deter mouse and rat alike :~))

Jenny

Do Rats and Mice use toilet rolls?

I think not ;-))

My pet rats always love the toilet roll inner with a bit of soft tissue
left on. They would remake their nest with the tissue and chew the cardboard
inner.

Old 14-01-2005, 10:54 PM
Sacha

On 14/1/05 22:47, in article , "ex WGS
Hamm" wrote:

k...
Hamm" wrote:

snip
Poison for ratty, and hang the fat balls from your washing line snip

Dear heaven, WHAT an idea! The birds do enough harm to our washing as it
is, without luring them towards it. Perhaps some other line strung

between
trees well away from the washing line would be better!

Washing line or bird table works for me in winter because I don't hang my
washing out in cold damp weather, I use my tumble dryer instead.

Well, I don't know about your birds but once ours get used to food being in
a certain place, they tend to return to that certain place! So, on bright
sunny days you rush out with the bird food to the washing line and take OFF
the bird food and put ON the washing and vice versa on damp days? Uhuh.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Old 14-01-2005, 10:56 PM
ex WGS Hamm

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...

Well, I don't know about your birds but once ours get used to food being

in
a certain place, they tend to return to that certain place! So, on bright
sunny days you rush out with the bird food to the washing line and take

OFF
the bird food and put ON the washing and vice versa on damp days? Uhuh.

I must have well trained birdies lol. In summer they only use the bird
tables and I don't provide fat balls in any case.

Old 15-01-2005, 12:31 AM
FF

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 17:23:52 +0000 (UTC), "Mike" wrote:

While at the supermarket today I noticed some fat ball silo type thingies.

Long
metal tube with large 'roof' to keep the rain of and a metal basket at the
bottom where the fat balls drop into (like those self refilling toilet

roll
whatsits!)

Looks very robust and should deter mouse and rat alike :~))

Jenny

Do Rats and Mice use toilet rolls?

I think not ;-))

Why not? My cat does. And kitchen rolls.

And she thinks pop sox are kittens. Other sox are aliens to be killed.

Liz
Old 15-01-2005, 12:29 PM
JennyC

Hamm" wrote:

snip
Poison for ratty, and hang the fat balls from your washing line snip

Sorry no washing line here - VERY small garden :~)
Jenny

Old 18-04-2005, 06:12 PM
Alan Holmes

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Michelle C" wrote in message
"JennyC" wrote in message
Hi

We have a regular tiny mouse come to visit and to nibble on several fat
balls,
in nets which hang on a small (rhus) tree outside on the patio.
He is not problem and it's fun to watch him/her feeding at night.

However we seem to have his/her big brother coming round as well :~(

Caught a quick glimpse of a small rat (young?) the other day in the
flower
bed.
And the fat balls seem to disappear whole. yesterday was proof when I
went
out
to find the nylon net still on its branch but it had been bitten open
and
the
ball was gone !

Any ideas on what to do. I don't want ratty getting ideas about coming
indoors!
Jenny

My suggestion is not to lure them with food.

Yes, but what about the birds?
I was hoping someone would have a solution to deter ratty

A trap!

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

Jenny

Old 18-04-2005, 11:21 PM
keith ;-\)

Put the food where the rats cannot get at it.Fat ball feeders instead of
just hanging the food in a tree.I have found a bird table that you screw to
a black metal pole so vermin cannot climb on to it.I wouldn't encourage mice
or rats.

--
Thanks Keith,Nottingham,England,UK.
"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Michelle C" wrote in message
"JennyC" wrote in message
[...]

live rat traps Philip Monmouth Australia 9 02-02-2004 12:51 AM
something? rat/cat/bird/dog eating my weed and feed? [email protected] Gardening 1 14-11-2003 11:02 PM
Rat poison, was Mulch against home? SugarChile Gardening 9 19-05-2003 12:20 AM
Rat in yard! Me too. Gardening 24 29-04-2003 05:08 AM
Humane rat control Mimi De Moratti United Kingdom 25 25-04-2003 01:20 AM