Old 10-01-2005, 05:45 PM
JennyC

Default Rat ?

Hi

We have a regular tiny mouse come to visit and to nibble on several fat balls,
in nets which hang on a small (rhus) tree outside on the patio.

He is not problem and it's fun to watch him/her feeding at night.

However we seem to have his/her big brother coming round as well :~(

Caught a quick glimpse of a small rat (young?) the other day in the flower bed.
And the fat balls seem to disappear whole. yesterday was proof when I went out
to find the nylon net still on its branch but it had been bitten open and the
ball was gone !

Any ideas on what to do. I don't want ratty getting ideas about coming indoors!

Jenny

Old 10-01-2005, 06:26 PM
JennyC

"Michelle C" wrote in message
"JennyC" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, but what about the birds?
I was hoping someone would have a solution to deter ratty
Jenny

Old 10-01-2005, 10:15 PM
Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 19:26:48 +0100, JennyC wrote:

My suggestion is not to lure them with food.

Yes, but what about the birds?

You didn't say anything about the birds in the OP just that you liked
to watch the mouse. Mind you if there is one mouse there will be two
shortly to be ten and not long after that...

I was hoping someone would have a solution to deter ratty

Rentokil Rodine, but you may find ratty will prefer the fat balls over
the blue grain.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 10-01-2005, 11:29 PM
Phil L

Dave Liquorice wrote:
:: On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 19:26:48 +0100, JennyC wrote:
::
:::: My suggestion is not to lure them with food.
:::
::: Yes, but what about the birds?
::
:: You didn't say anything about the birds in the OP just that you
:: liked to watch the mouse. Mind you if there is one mouse there
:: will be two shortly to be ten and not long after that...

mice do not multiply as quickly as rats and have lots of natural predators
(including rats) therefore your theory is incorrect, unless of course you
meant rats? :-p

::
::: I was hoping someone would have a solution to deter ratty
::
:: Rentokil Rodine, but you may find ratty will prefer the fat balls
:: over the blue grain.
::
The blue grain will kill not only ratty, but mousey, hedgehoggy and birdy
too!

--

http://www.blueyonder256k.myby.co.uk/

Old 10-01-2005, 11:29 PM
Phil L

JennyC wrote:
:: Hi
::
:: We have a regular tiny mouse come to visit and to nibble on
:: several fat balls, in nets which hang on a small (rhus) tree
:: outside on the patio.
::
:: He is not problem and it's fun to watch him/her feeding at night.
::
:: However we seem to have his/her big brother coming round as well
:: :~(

Rats predate on mice so don't be surprised if the mouse isn't seen again :-(

:: Caught a quick glimpse of a small rat (young?) the other day in
:: the flower bed. And the fat balls seem to disappear whole.
:: yesterday was proof when I went out to find the nylon net still on
:: its branch but it had been bitten open and the ball was gone !
::
:: Any ideas on what to do. I don't want ratty getting ideas about
:: coming indoors!

Rats will make the most of any situation and the only way to deter them will
deter the mouse too, unless you use a wire feeder which the birds can peck
at and maybe the mouse could get a small nibble, but the rat won't be able
to gnaw through it as quickly, not to say he won't try and you can expect to
replace it once he does....once they have discovered a food source they
never forget it.

--

http://www.blueyonder256k.myby.co.uk/

Old 11-01-2005, 10:51 AM
mike. buckley

In message , Phil L
writes
JennyC wrote:
:: Hi
::
[...]

Rats, given enough time, will chew through anything, wire included. So
make sure it's pretty tough.

We have a few birds in our garden (blue/great tits, the usual). But
stocking the bird table with nuts and bread etc just got us 4 squirrels
robbing the nuts and magpies and pigeons robbing the bread. Never saw
the tits on the nuts at all, even when the squirrels were nowhere to be
seen. Given up in the end, the squirrels were just destroying the
feeders anyway.

--
Mike Buckley
RD350LC2
Old 11-01-2005, 04:42 PM
Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 23:29:41 GMT, Phil L wrote:

mice do not multiply as quickly as rats and have lots of natural
predators (including rats) therefore your theory is incorrect,
unless of course you meant rats? :-p

They still do it fairly rapidly, two mice (M & F of course...) will
still become 2 mice in just over 20 days and the offspring breed in
50 days or less...

Looking at:

http://www.lvma.org/rat.html
http://www.lvma.org/mouse.html

On paper mice have a quicker turn around. Gestation is about the same
but come into breeding condition slightly faster than rats.

The blue grain will kill not only ratty, but mousey, hedgehoggy and
birdy too!

True but I assumed a smidgin of intellegence and that the instructions
would be followed. Ie covered accessable only by ratty, hedgehoggy
would be to big and mousey well he may as well be for the chop as
well. Small birdy tend not to venture inside dark holes.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 11-01-2005, 05:59 PM
JennyC

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 19:26:48 +0100, JennyC wrote:

My suggestion is not to lure them with food.

Yes, but what about the birds?

You didn't say anything about the birds in the OP just that you liked
to watch the mouse. Mind you if there is one mouse there will be two
shortly to be ten and not long after that...

I was hoping someone would have a solution to deter ratty

Rentokil Rodine, but you may find ratty will prefer the fat balls over
the blue grain.
Dave

Not keen on poison as we have a cat. I also don't want to kill of the mouse or
any of the birds,
Jenny

Old 11-01-2005, 06:00 PM
JennyC

"Phil L" wrote in message
k...
Dave Liquorice wrote:
:: On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 19:26:48 +0100, JennyC wrote:
::
:::: My suggestion is not to lure them with food.
:::
::: Yes, but what about the birds?
::
:: You didn't say anything about the birds in the OP just that you
:: liked to watch the mouse. Mind you if there is one mouse there
:: will be two shortly to be ten and not long after that...

mice do not multiply as quickly as rats and have lots of natural predators
(including rats) therefore your theory is incorrect, unless of course you
meant rats? :-p

OH :~) I though that was obvious. Why else would i hang up fat balls :~)

::
::: I was hoping someone would have a solution to deter ratty
::
:: Rentokil Rodine, but you may find ratty will prefer the fat balls
:: over the blue grain.
::
The blue grain will kill not only ratty, but mousey, hedgehoggy and birdy
too!
http://www.blueyonder256k.myby.co.uk/

Exactly. Not a good idea
Jenny

Old 11-01-2005, 06:02 PM
JennyC

"JeffC" wrote
"JennyC" wrote
We have a regular tiny mouse come to visit and to nibble on several fat

balls, in nets which hang on a small (rhus) tree outside on the patio.

He is not problem and it's fun to watch him/her feeding at night.
However we seem to have his/her big brother coming round as well :~(
Caught a quick glimpse of a small rat (young?) the other day in the

flower
bed. And the fat balls seem to disappear whole. yesterday was proof when I

went
out to find the nylon net still on its branch but it had been bitten open

and
the ball was gone !

Any ideas on what to do. I don't want ratty getting ideas about coming

indoors!
Jenny

Hi Jenny, I don't know if it will help, but a few weeks ago I noticed a
rather clever bird feeder in B&Q ( cough! spit! ) priced at under £10. It
is basically a peanut feeder with a rather ingenious "sprung" stainless
steel shield that came down over the feed basket when any larger animal,
chiefly squirrels tried to gain access from above. This may allow your mouse
to continue feeding, but the weight of a rat would bring down the shield..
It might be messy trying to fill it with fat balls though! Still at the
price, it might be worth ago.
Jeff.

Great idea Jeff, but we don't have B&Q's here in Holland :~(
Jenny

live rat traps Philip Monmouth Australia 9 02-02-2004 12:51 AM
something? rat/cat/bird/dog eating my weed and feed? [email protected] Gardening 1 14-11-2003 11:02 PM
Rat poison, was Mulch against home? SugarChile Gardening 9 19-05-2003 12:20 AM
Rat in yard! Me too. Gardening 24 29-04-2003 05:08 AM
Humane rat control Mimi De Moratti United Kingdom 25 25-04-2003 01:20 AM