Old 12-01-2005, 02:10 PM
Registered User

Smile new member

Hi all,
My name is Chris, I have a long narrow garden in West London. 1/3 of which i have planted with native wild flowers. interests include, as the name suggests, moths, butterflies and all things nature. hope to help or hinder in the near future )

Chris
Old 12-01-2005, 10:53 PM
Aardvark

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 14:10:18 +0000, mothman
wrote:

Hi all,
My name is Chris, I have a long narrow garden in West London. 1/3 of
which i have planted with native wild flowers. interests include, as
the name suggests, moths, butterflies and all things nature. hope to
help or hinder in the near future )

Chris

Welcome Chris,

What things have you planted to encourage the wildlife ?

I am slowly expanding my collection of 'nature' friendly plants and
now count :-

Limnanthes
Sedum (Ice Plant)
Solidago (Goldenrod)
A couple of Budleia
A small plantation of Digitalis
Hollyhock.

Among others

Phil
Old 13-01-2005, 09:56 AM
Registered User

"Welcome Chris,

What things have you planted to encourage the wildlife ?"

Thanks Phil

well to be honest its not so much wildlife friendly rather than just wildflowers though they do attract plenty.

Oxeye daisy, wild clematis, wild honeysuckle, ivy, vipers bugloss, salad burnet, marjoram, tansy, hemp agrimony,burnet saxifrage, broom, bluebells, snowdrops, red & white campion, common & red valerian,teasel,various st johns worts & cranesbills, hedge woundwort,birds foot trefoil,hogweed,hop,mulleins, common & musk mallow,field, small & devils bit scabious the list goes on and on shrubs & trees include birch, hawthorn, buckthorn, blackthorn, dogrose. I'll need some time if you want the full list lol.

The good thing is, since starting 4 years ago, I have had 21 butterfly species visit the garden and recorded some other quite rare species of sawfly and ichneumon wasp. the "weed patch" as the other half affectionately calls it is 2 borders 4ft x 12ft. I haven't told her about the nettles yet.

Chris

[IBC] Morning, New Member Barb Bonsai 1 12-08-2003 04:42 PM
New member--intro Kelly Upton Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 17-04-2003 11:20 PM
New Member Starlord Gardening 0 11-02-2003 04:25 AM
[IBC] New member - Question on junipers Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 10-02-2003 08:25 PM
New member - Question on junipers Allen Bonsai 0 10-02-2003 07:25 PM