Old 15-01-2005, 10:36 AM
David Cleland

So, the question (originally) was can grass be composted. The quick answer
is yes.

thanks all, although I have to say after reading all this I may buy
compost - I sounds too easy to mess up ?

David

Old 15-01-2005, 06:27 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "David Cleland" contains these words:

So, the question (originally) was can grass be composted. The quick answer
is yes.

thanks all, although I have to say after reading all this I may buy
compost - I sounds too easy to mess up ?

It really is easy to make compost, including grass cuttings, and
really, really hard to fail completely. It costs nothing, you've got
nothing to lose. So why not just try it?

Yes, quite. It really is almost impossible to fail completely,
especially if you are using a traditional heap. ALL you have to
do if it hasn't worked is to correct the problem and try again.

Failed to compost because it was too dry? Wet it when you turn
it over.

Failed to compost because it was too wet (including compacted
grass cuttings)? Loosen it up when you turn it over so the air
gets to it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-01-2005, 12:23 PM
David Cleland

..

Failed to compost because it was too dry? Wet it when you turn
it over.

Failed to compost because it was too wet (including compacted
grass cuttings)? Loosen it up when you turn it over so the air
gets to it.

I am going out now to buy myself a compost bin - (actually finding this
exciting which is a worry) Showing my ignorance again but is it ok to put
weeds in there too ?

David

Old 16-01-2005, 03:59 PM
Kay

In article , David Cleland
writes
.

Failed to compost because it was too dry? Wet it when you turn
it over.

Failed to compost because it was too wet (including compacted
grass cuttings)? Loosen it up when you turn it over so the air
gets to it.

I am going out now to buy myself a compost bin - (actually finding this
exciting which is a worry) Showing my ignorance again but is it ok to put
weeds in there too ?

In general, yes. Weeds that re-grow vigorously from bits of root (for
example dandelion, bindweed, couch grass) are better left in the sun for
a couple of weeks until the roots are well and truly shrivelled up and
dead. You'll soon get to know which are the problem weeds in your
garden. But no desperate need to worry - it's easy to pick growing weeds
out of the compost, and if you use the compost as a mulch, weeds are
very easy to pull out.
--
Kay

Old 16-01-2005, 08:26 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Kay wrote:
In article , David Cleland
writes
.
I am going out now to buy myself a compost bin - (actually finding this
exciting which is a worry) Showing my ignorance again but is it ok to put
weeds in there too ?

In general, yes. Weeds that re-grow vigorously from bits of root (for
example dandelion, bindweed, couch grass) are better left in the sun for
a couple of weeks until the roots are well and truly shrivelled up and
dead. You'll soon get to know which are the problem weeds in your
garden. But no desperate need to worry - it's easy to pick growing weeds
out of the compost, and if you use the compost as a mulch, weeds are
very easy to pull out.

I can't speak about compost bins, but I chuck mine on my heap directly,
and have virtually no trouble with them.

I would strongly advise against putting MATURE seeds of problem weeds
on a heap or in a bin, as they can cause trouble, but unripe seeds are
no problem.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 17-01-2005, 09:38 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "David Cleland" contains these words:

I am going out now to buy myself a compost bin - (actually finding this
exciting which is a worry) Showing my ignorance again but is it ok to put
weeds in there too ?

Most weeds are fine, but I wouldn't buy a bin. (Though I will
graciously accept the free one about to be handed out by our local
council--you can never have too many compost bins or too much compost.).

Provided that you have space to put one.

A free home-made one improvised with four pallets tied together at the
corners, standing on earth, will work very well. Also, you can add more
bays on either side later on.

Yes. I use a 10 m length of 4' pig wire, cut into two lengths and
tied in two loops. Each is held up by 4 lengths of iron pipe hammered
into the ground. I pull it off upwards, remove the posts, and move
it somewhere else. A trifle more expensive, unless your garden came
supplied with appropriate junk, but not much.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-01-2005, 08:41 AM
Gary

On 1/15/05 2:00 AM, in article
, "Sacha"
wrote:

On 15/1/05 6:16, in article , "Gary"
wrote:

On 1/12/05 2:15 PM, in article , "Mike"
wrote:

snip
God: Never mind, I think I just heard the whole story from St. Francis.

So, the question (originally) was can grass be composted. The quick answer
is yes.

To add one short sentence, couldn't you have snipped this lengthy story
which was posted here only a short time ago?

Sacha, Yes, but good stories should be read more than once...
Gary

Old 20-01-2005, 08:50 AM
rwakeford

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 08:41:53 GMT, Gary wrote:

couldn't you have snipped this lengthy story which was posted here
only a short time ago?

Sacha, Yes, but good stories should be read more than once...

That depends on what you consider to be a good story. Whether it is or
not, surely it's best to let the reader decide if they want to read it
again and not force them to wade through it once more just to read a few
inconsequential words added at the end.

--
Richard 20/01/2005 09:46:47