Old 16-01-2005, 06:03 PM
MM

Default Any reccomendations for garden design software?

I'm looking for suggested layouts that I can modify on screen, then
view in 3D.

MM
Old 16-01-2005, 06:59 PM
Chris Stewart

"MM" wrote in message
I'm looking for suggested layouts that I can modify on screen, then
view in 3D.

MM

Hi,
You'll find that most folks on here aren't that keen on existing software -
too clunky, and constricting. There are so many factors to take into account
in terms of climate, soil type, aspect, altitude, shadows from buildings,
before you begin to consider the individual plants, their age, growth rates
etc. We need better computing brains to build better programmes.
Chris S

Old 16-01-2005, 08:27 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Chris Stewart wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
.. .
I'm looking for suggested layouts that I can modify on screen, then
view in 3D.

You'll find that most folks on here aren't that keen on existing software -
too clunky, and constricting. There are so many factors to take into account
in terms of climate, soil type, aspect, altitude, shadows from buildings,
before you begin to consider the individual plants, their age, growth rates
etc. We need better computing brains to build better programmes.

Yes. We ancient geeks use pencil and graph paper :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-01-2005, 08:48 PM
Sacha

On 16/1/05 20:27, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Chris Stewart wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
I'm looking for suggested layouts that I can modify on screen, then
view in 3D.

You'll find that most folks on here aren't that keen on existing software -
too clunky, and constricting. There are so many factors to take into account
in terms of climate, soil type, aspect, altitude, shadows from buildings,
before you begin to consider the individual plants, their age, growth rates
etc. We need better computing brains to build better programmes.

Yes. We ancient geeks use pencil and graph paper :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Ahem. My husband would say that the truly ancient use a stub of pencil and
the back of a fag packet!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 16-01-2005, 08:57 PM
Nick Maclaren

Maclaren" wrote:

Yes. We ancient geeks use pencil and graph paper :-)

Ahem. My husband would say that the truly ancient use a stub of pencil and
the back of a fag packet!

A good point, but I have never smoked, so those are not readily
available chez moi. I agree that using the first piece of scrap
writable substance that comes to hand is normal, but the OP was
discussing how to plan the layout of a garden. It is a VERY small
garden that can be laid out on the back of a fag packet ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 17-01-2005, 12:26 PM
MM

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 18:59:53 -0000, "Chris Stewart"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
.. .
I'm looking for suggested layouts that I can modify on screen, then
view in 3D.

MM

Hi,
You'll find that most folks on here aren't that keen on existing software -
too clunky, and constricting. There are so many factors to take into account
in terms of climate, soil type, aspect, altitude, shadows from buildings,
before you begin to consider the individual plants, their age, growth rates
etc. We need better computing brains to build better programmes.
Chris S

But I have absolutely no idea what I want! I have a brand-new house
with a rectangular area behind nominated as 'the garden'. The builder
kindly installed a small patio, but the rest is just very soggy soil.
Thus I have a clean slate. Where the heck do I start? I am not a
gardener, but have dabbled in the past, even removing a tree, sifting
soil of stones, planting shrubs, that kind of thing. But I can't tell
the diff between a marigold and a hollyhock, unless you point it out
to me first. However, I do know what I like when I see it! I see lots
of gardens, some of which I like, many of which I don't. I quite like
the idea of a minimalist garden, one with lots of interesting
pathways, and small lawned areas to break the monotony.

What I need is ideas that I can see in 3D, then play around with in my
mind. Most of all, I haven't got oodles of cash to spend. This garden
needs to look its best on a shoestring budget.

Is there a gardening book containing nothing but suggested layouts?
That might be a useful altermative.

MM
Old 17-01-2005, 01:28 PM
Charlie Pridham

"MM" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 18:59:53 -0000, "Chris Stewart"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I would start with a piece of scrap paper and make a list of things you have
to have, i.e. cloths dryer and path to get to it! any paths needed to access
sheds, garages, and compost areas. avoid straight lines unless you go for a
formal look. You may find a pack of bamboo canes and an old hose pipe all
you need to mark out on the ground.
Make any paths wide enough for the purpose.
Make any grass areas big enough to be worth mowing and easy enough to get a
mower around.
You can make pretty much any space look good with plants, but a lot of
gardening happens in less than ideal weather and you can cause a real mess
if you can not move around on hard surfaces. So if it were me I would get
the hard structure in first then worry about the plants.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 17-01-2005, 02:42 PM
Sacha

On 17/1/05 12:26, in article ,
"MM" wrote:

snip What I need is ideas that I can see in 3D, then play around with in
my
mind. Most of all, I haven't got oodles of cash to spend. This garden
needs to look its best on a shoestring budget.

Is there a gardening book containing nothing but suggested layouts?
That might be a useful altermative.

MM

Where do you live? That will determine what you can grow, climate-wise and
it would help you to know what kind of soil you have. Either ask a
gardening neighbour or buy a soil-testing kit from a garden centre and do
the very simple test. It's easier for urglers to help you if we know where
you are.
Think also in terms of how you will use your garden - do children need a
play area? Do you need to confine pets to one area? Do you want to sit in
the shade of a tree at some future point or do you want to sit facing west,
watching the sun go down etc. etc.
Then try to find out from locals which is the best nursery or gc in your
area and have a chat with them. If you're lucky, you might find someone
there who will come to your garden, give you a list of plants for which area
and advise you for free, as my husband does, but won't draw you actual
plans, or someone who will charge a nominal fee and give you the proverbial
back of an envelope list of plants and where to put 'em!
This site has plenty of software choice, though
http://www.sisley.co.uk/emp_uk/soft.htm
You could also approach any local college that offers garden design courses
and offer your garden as a project for a student or the entire class! You
pay for the plants, they design you a garden - you might even get them to do
some of the digging and it would be great experience for them to have a bare
canvas to work on.
Visit as many gardens as you can on open days and get the 'Yellow Book' to
show you which are open in your area this year.
http://www.ngs.org.uk/yellow_book.htm
It doesn't matter how big or small they are because almost all garden
schemes can be adapted - you might, for example, see a wisteria and laburnum
arch such as the one at Beaulieu and decide to make your own version of that
to enhance your walk up the garden!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 17-01-2005, 03:28 PM
JennyC

"MM" wrote
[...]

The local library should have a supply of books on garden design.

I've lots of 'design' links on my home page which might be useful:
http://members.rott.chello.nl/ldejag...ardenlinks.htm

Go to garden shows and make notes.

Peer over peoples fences ........

Jenny

Old 18-01-2005, 11:52 AM
MM

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:28:25 +0100, "JennyC" wrote:

I've lots of 'design' links on my home page which might be useful:
http://members.rott.chello.nl/ldejag...ardenlinks.htm

Very useful site!

MM
Old 23-01-2005, 02:32 PM
MM

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 18:03:01 +0000, MM wrote:

I'm looking for suggested layouts that I can modify on screen, then
view in 3D.

MM

Thanks to the chap who recommended the BBC's gardening website and
their free design program. I'm downloading it right now.

MM
Old 24-01-2005, 01:23 PM
Richard Brooks

wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
I'm looking for suggested layouts that I can modify on screen, then
view in 3D.

MM

Hi,
You'll find that most folks on here aren't that keen on existing
software - too clunky, and constricting. There are so many factors
to take into account in terms of climate, soil type, aspect,
altitude, shadows from buildings, before you begin to consider the
individual plants, their age, growth rates etc. We need better
computing brains to build better programmes.
Chris S

But I have absolutely no idea what I want! I have a brand-new house
with a rectangular area behind nominated as 'the garden'.

[Brilliant stuff snipped]

Is there a gardening book containing nothing but suggested layouts?
That might be a useful altermative.

You could always go for a uk.rec.gardening design ?

Seriously, you could always get members here to get heads together. Fag
packets will be provided.

Richard.

Old 17-02-2005, 05:30 PM
Registered User

Wink

My website includes ready made garden and planting designs for beginners and experienced alike, which can be downloaded instantly, if that is what you are looking for?

The range covers many variations in size, and supplies all the contact details you need to build the garden - might save you some time doing all the research, as we have done it for you!

www.applegategardens.com

Hope this helps.

linette