Old 16-01-2005, 09:05 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Climbers for shade

In my Sunset book, Trachelospermum jasminoides is described as being
good for shade. Now, Californian shade is UK full sun, but can
anyone say whether it is likely to thrive facing north-west in an
inland part of the south of England in these days of global worming,
er, sorry, warming?

Similarly, how hardy is Berberidopsis corallina? Is it worth a go,
given what seems to be happening?

Lastly, the same question about Schisandra rubiflora?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-01-2005, 09:13 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In my Sunset book, Trachelospermum jasminoides is described as being
good for shade. Now, Californian shade is UK full sun, but can
anyone say whether it is likely to thrive facing north-west in an
inland part of the south of England in these days of global worming,
er, sorry, warming?

Similarly, how hardy is Berberidopsis corallina? Is it worth a go,
given what seems to be happening?

Lastly, the same question about Schisandra rubiflora?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

The Trachelospermum will grow provided its got a wall behind it (fence wont
be enough protection) but it is unlikely to flower well, increase your
chances of flowers by choosing the form jasminoides majus and avoiding
wilsonii. My plant facing due east flowers, but not as well as the south
facing T. asiaticum I have. bits that are above the wall go red in winter
and occasionally defoliate (they do not recover)

Berberidopsis will tolerate lower light levels but is more sensitive than
the Trachelospermum to soil PH (both prefer acidic soils but will put up
with neutral) I moved mine from a north wall where it was doing ok to grow
it through a small tree, its now sulking as it does not care for the
increased exposure.

Scisandra rubriflora is of course deciduous so winter cold is not so much of
a problem, I have mine planted on a due north facing wall and its case of so
far so good! (been planted for 2 years now) only one of my 3 plants is
flowering and I am still hoping for a pair :~)

Our respective garden conditions are so different I am not sure how much use
any of the above is.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 21-01-2005, 06:55 AM
Don Fitch

Nick Maclaren ) wrote:

In my Sunset book, Trachelospermum jasminoides is described as being good for

shade. Now, Californian shade is UK full sun, but can anyone say whether it
is likely to thrive facing north-west in an
inland part of the south of England [...]

I've rather often seen it used as a ground-cover here in Southern California,
in full sun, where it seems to suffer no ill-effects if it has adequate water.
I should think it could cope with that occasional bright and even hot summer
day you might get in the south of England.

Don Fitch,
Covina, CA, USA