Old 20-01-2005, 12:11 AM
Sacha

Default Primroses....

.....are flowering in the shelter of a hedge about 5 minutes from here!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 20-01-2005, 12:15 AM
ex WGS Hamm

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
....are flowering in the shelter of a hedge about 5 minutes from here!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

I have snowdrops about to flower and my honeysuckle has loads of tiny
leaves on it already. Everything out there seems to be about to burst into
bud. I wonder if it means an early spring?

Old 20-01-2005, 07:33 AM
Neil Tonks

There's a wild primrose in a sheltered spot in my garden which has been in
flower since early December. A bit brown around the edges after the recent
cold winds but still looks good.

The garden of the bulding where I work has a huge carpet of snowdrops in
full flower already. They're always early, but this year even more so than
normal.

--
Neil

Visit my Peak District walking website - www.peakwalking.co.uk
k...

Old 20-01-2005, 08:27 AM
Martin Brown

Sacha wrote:

....are flowering in the shelter of a hedge about 5 minutes from here!

I haven't seen any wild primroses yet. Snowdrops are already full out in
sheltered spots here and I have one solitary daffodil that is almost
open! The rest are way behind it. Shame about the strong wind today I
hope it doesn't get snapped off.

Unusually warm here in North Yorkshire this winter. One night last week
it was 17C outside at 11pm 9/1 (and 15C in the porch).

Rhubarb is also well on the way to being ready tp cut - shoots are 6-8"
long already. Lots of other things are budding up which could be a big
problem if there is a severe freeze.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 20-01-2005, 09:40 AM
Mike

I haven't seen any wild primroses yet. Snowdrops are already full out in
sheltered spots here and I have one solitary daffodil that is almost
open! The rest are way behind it. Shame about the strong wind today I
hope it doesn't get snapped off.

Quite a display of open daffodils in the front garden. Good job Mothering
Sunday isn't around the corner or they would disappear :-((

Mike

Old 20-01-2005, 10:01 AM
Registered User

Location: Manchester

one of my red cameillia's is almost in full bloom, and has been out for at least a week. admittly its planted next to a sheltered wall, but its at least two months early. although being only a few miles from the city centre we've hardly had any frosts this season.

at xmas i was hoping for some frost to kill off the bugs, but i've noticed a lot of plants thinking its nearly spring (e.g. a few buds on my climbing hydrangea have only just opened) , and i've a feeling some late feb frosts could do some real damage
Old 20-01-2005, 10:08 AM
Martin Brown

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from Martin Brown contains these words:

Rhubarb is also well on the way to being ready tp cut - shoots are 6-8"
long already.

Blimey..Is your rhubarb open to the elements, or are you using a forcer?

It's under one of those yellow elephant buckets now. But the ones out in
the open are not that far behind 4-5" stems but then they snap off in
the wind...

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 20-01-2005, 01:33 PM
Kay

In article , ex WGS Hamm
writes

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
....are flowering in the shelter of a hedge about 5 minutes from here!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

I have snowdrops about to flower and my honeysuckle has loads of tiny
leaves on it already. Everything out there seems to be about to burst into
bud. I wonder if it means an early spring?

I find it hard to be convinced that plants can foretell the future and
think it much more likely that they are merely responding to past
conditions. The trigger for spring growth is not knowledge of when this
particular spring will arrive, but a response to a period of bad weather
(ie winter) which over the millennia has been followed by good growing
conditions (spring).

--
Kay

Hardy English Primroses Pat Jordan Gardening 2 09-06-2004 11:26 AM
Primroses Aphodius United Kingdom 2 07-09-2003 10:04 PM
Mexican Evening Primroses Grandpa Gardening 0 22-08-2003 06:02 PM
Primroses are here! sacha United Kingdom 10 03-02-2003 10:53 PM
Primroses Barry & Iris McCanna United Kingdom 1 05-01-2003 10:24 PM