Old 25-01-2005, 02:05 PM
Pam Moore

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 18:06:20 -0000, "Keith Hampson"
wrote:

How about another type of hedge, hawthorn was the only suggested to me,
which one looks the prityest, hawthorn or blackthorn, I am open to ideas
befor making a choice. maybe another breed,

One suggestion made was a mixed hedge and if you want to attract
wildlife you will do better with a mixture of hedging plants than just
one species. It will be more attractive too.

Pam in Bristol
Old 25-01-2005, 02:27 PM
Victoria Clare

"Keith Hampson" wrote in news:ct17uv$s7$1
@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk:

what are the benifits if any betwenn Hawthorne and Blackthore.

I have found hawthorn very reluctant on damp or shady soils. Blackthorn
seems to be a bit more tolerant of damp.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 25-01-2005, 02:34 PM
Victoria Clare

"Keith Hampson" wrote in news:ct3deq$r6s$1
@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk:

How about another type of hedge, hawthorn was the only suggested to me,
which one looks the prityest, hawthorn or blackthorn, I am open to ideas
befor making a choice. maybe another breed,

I would always plant beech now, given the option. It isn't quite so
stockproof as a thorny plant, but you can always run a fence through it,
and it is so delightfully easy to keep trimmed and neat.

Never plant hazel as a hedge. Not unless you have a weeeny tiny garden and
need something to bash every week, or really adore hedgelaying. The damn
stuff grows like there is no tomorrow.

Victoria

Old 25-01-2005, 05:14 PM
Kay

In article , Mike Lyle mike_lyle_uk@REM
OVETHISyahoo.co.uk writes

You need separate male and female plants if you want sloes.

Are you sure of that? AFAIK, the flowers are hermaphrodite, containing
both stamens (male organ) and stigma (female organ).

The female part ripens before the stamens, as a mechanism to avoid self
fertilisation, so you do need two plants in order to obtain fruit, but
there is no need to worry about the gender of your plants!

--
Kay

Old 25-01-2005, 07:23 PM
Mike Lyle

Kay wrote:
In article , Mike Lyle
mike_lyle_uk@REM OVETHISyahoo.co.uk writes

You need separate male and female plants if you want sloes.

Are you sure of that? AFAIK, the flowers are hermaphrodite,

containing
both stamens (male organ) and stigma (female organ).

The female part ripens before the stamens, as a mechanism to avoid
self fertilisation, so you do need two plants in order to obtain
fruit, but there is no need to worry about the gender of your

plants!

Wel, well, is that so? I'd always noticed that some of mine fruited
and others didn't seem to, and assumed they were monoecious.
Certainly the Collins Field Guide, now I look, doesn't say "m and f
on separate plants". Live and learn: thanks.

Mike.

Extending edge of butyl liner to stop leaking JohnB United Kingdom 1 14-04-2003 03:20 PM
Plants for a pond edge Neil Law Ponds 5 20-03-2003 03:56 PM
FS: Black & Decker Edge Hog 11 amp Electric Edger John North Carolina 0 17-03-2003 12:32 PM
Explanation of "edge effects" David Hare-Scott Permaculture 10 24-11-2002 01:18 PM
ground cover for pond edge Carol Russell United Kingdom 3 30-09-2002 10:24 AM