Old 23-01-2005, 07:04 PM
Keith Hampson

Default what edge

Hi I am new to gardening, I want an edge about 42 foot long, I am wanting an
attraction for wildlife and security, someone suggested to me Hawthorne, can
anyone give me some more ideas?

thanks

Old 23-01-2005, 08:19 PM
Mike Lyle

Keith Hampson wrote:
Hi I am new to gardening, I want an edge about 42 foot long, I am
wanting an attraction for wildlife and security, someone suggested

me Hawthorne, can anyone give me some more ideas?

thanks

Hawthorn is excellent as a barrier and for wildlife; but you could
mix in some blackthorn (loved by long-tailed tits and sloe gin
drinkers), and maybe a few rambling roses to look pretty. I'd put in
a couple of damson trees, too, an elder or two, and maybe a crab
apple: I'd let these grow as trees, not trimmed like the rest, and
enjoy the crop once they're established. I've included field maple
and guelder rose for wildlife purposes; but they aren't much good for
a barrier.

I suggest making the hedge double thickness if you've got room, but
you'd need access both sides for cutting: the birds would love you
for this.

You could underplant with some spring flowers: I wouldn't want to be
without primroses and snowdrops, especially on the shady side.
English bluebells for either side. Wild daffodils like the ones here
in Glos.

Mike.

Old 23-01-2005, 09:51 PM
Tumbleweed

"Keith Hampson" wrote in message
Hi I am new to gardening, I want an edge about 42 foot long, I am wanting
an
attraction for wildlife and security, someone suggested to me Hawthorne,
can
anyone give me some more ideas?

thanks

An awthorne edge is orribly ard to get frew and its probly good for ouse
sparrers.
You mite also get edgeogs livin undur em.
Ope this elps.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 23-01-2005, 10:20 PM
Keith Hampson

what are the benifits if any betwenn Hawthorne and Blackthore.

thanks

Old 23-01-2005, 10:51 PM
Kay

In article , Keith Hampson
writes
what are the benifits if any betwenn Hawthorne and Blackthore.

Blackthorn gives you sloe gin.

(well, you have to provide the gin)

Hawthorn is thorny, relatively fast growing, has flowers in about may
and red fruits in autumn which are well liked by birds. (though you
don't get as many flowers when you cut the hedge regularly)
Blackthorn is thorny, relatively fast growing, has very early white
flowers (March) and dark purple fruits.

If you're interested in wildlife, you are better to have a mixture, and
with 42 feet you have the space to do so. A mixture will also provide
you with more variety to look at, and something of interest for a
greater part of the year.
--
Kay

Old 24-01-2005, 04:46 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Keith Hampson
writes
what are the benifits if any betwenn Hawthorne and Blackthore.

They are both very good hedging plants, the hawthorn tends to grow more
bushy, while the blackthorn is more towards a tree in the Prunus family.
(I occasionally make walking sticks from blackthorn branches) In both
cases, they should be clipped two or three time a year to keep the lower
part dense for hedging purposes. Birds will nest in mature specimens, so
spring clipping should be avoided.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 24-01-2005, 09:38 AM
Martin Brown

Kay wrote:

In article , Keith Hampson
writes

what are the benifits if any betwenn Hawthorne and Blackthore.

Blackthorn gives you sloe gin.

(well, you have to provide the gin)

Hawthorn is thorny, relatively fast growing, has flowers in about may
and red fruits in autumn which are well liked by birds. (though you
don't get as many flowers when you cut the hedge regularly)
Blackthorn is thorny, relatively fast growing, has very early white
flowers (March) and dark purple fruits.

Fast growing and thorny is a double edged sword. You have to keep on top
of pruning it or else! Lots of other hedging plants with berries and
with/without thorns exist with variable growth rates.

Hawthorn and blackthorne do look a bit bare in midwinter (ie now).

If you're interested in wildlife, you are better to have a mixture, and
with 42 feet you have the space to do so. A mixture will also provide
you with more variety to look at, and something of interest for a
greater part of the year.

I prefer to have blocks all the same species for about 10 feet at a time
(and mostly things with leaves on in the winter). My hedges include
beech, cotoneaster (2 varieties), pyracantha, wild rose and box. There
is some honeysuckle in there too.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 24-01-2005, 01:23 PM
Kay

In article , Martin Brown |||newspam|
writes
Kay wrote:

Fast growing and thorny is a double edged sword. You have to keep on top
of pruning it or else!

And you have to make sure you collect all the prunings and not leave any
lying on the lawn or lurking amongst your flowers. But the OP did want
security ;-)

Lots of other hedging plants with berries and
with/without thorns exist with variable growth rates.

Hawthorn and blackthorne do look a bit bare in midwinter (ie now).

Blackthorn, yes, but hawthorn is so densely twiggy that, although it is
leafless, it is dense enough not to look bare. Personally, I prefer the
look of the dense mass of hawthorn twigs to the dead leaves that persist
through winter on beech, but that's just a personal opinion - others, I
know, feel differently.

If I ever come into an inheritance, I shall replace our hawthorn hedge
by a big tall yorkshire stone wall which needs no pruning ;-)

If you're interested in wildlife, you are better to have a mixture, and
with 42 feet you have the space to do so. A mixture will also provide
you with more variety to look at, and something of interest for a
greater part of the year.

I prefer to have blocks all the same species for about 10 feet at a time
(and mostly things with leaves on in the winter). My hedges include
beech, cotoneaster (2 varieties), pyracantha, wild rose and box. There
is some honeysuckle in there too.

How keen are the birds on cotoneaster? All our native berries -
whitebeam, rowan, rose hips, holly, elderberry - are long since gone,
but our birds are yet to start on the pyracantha, viburnum will be later
than that, and Cotoneaster (the nasty little horizontal thing), skimmia
and pernettya will probably remain untouched.
--
Kay

Old 24-01-2005, 06:06 PM
Keith Hampson

How about another type of hedge, hawthorn was the only suggested to me,
which one looks the prityest, hawthorn or blackthorn, I am open to ideas
befor making a choice. maybe another breed,

Old 24-01-2005, 06:42 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Keith Hampson
writes
How about another type of hedge, hawthorn was the only suggested to me,
which one looks the prityest, hawthorn or blackthorn, I am open to ideas
befor making a choice. maybe another breed,

Golden leaved privet can make a stunningly beautiful hedge if you want a
'pretty' one, but it will not be stock-proof.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Old 24-01-2005, 07:45 PM
Registered User

what about beech? lovely coppery colour all autumn and winter.
Old 24-01-2005, 08:44 PM
Karen

"Keith Hampson" wrote in message
Hi I am new to gardening, I want an edge about 42 foot long, I am wanting

an
attraction for wildlife and security, someone suggested to me Hawthorne,

can
anyone give me some more ideas?

thanks

I would recommend you have a look at the Buckingham nurseries site
www.hedging.co.uk - they have pictures of lots of hedges after a year and
mature. Very good service too.

No connection other than as a satisfied customer.

Karen

Old 25-01-2005, 12:36 PM
Mike Lyle

Kay wrote:
In article , Keith Hampson
writes
what are the benifits if any betwenn Hawthorne and Blackthore.

Blackthorn gives you sloe gin.

(well, you have to provide the gin)

Hawthorn is thorny, relatively fast growing, has flowers in about

may
and red fruits in autumn which are well liked by birds. (though you
don't get as many flowers when you cut the hedge regularly)
Blackthorn is thorny, relatively fast growing, has very early white
flowers (March) and dark purple fruits.

If you're interested in wildlife, you are better to have a mixture,
and with 42 feet you have the space to do so. A mixture will also
provide you with more variety to look at, and something of interest
for a greater part of the year.

A few points about blackthorn. I like it, but unlike hawthorn it does
send out suckers, which can be a serious nuisance to you and your
neighbours. Another thing is that wounds from the thorns have the
reputation of getting infected very easily: I think this is because
they're rough, and so any dirt may cling. It's not as good for laying
as a proper stock-proof barrier as hawthorn, either. And its branches
have a tendency to die off for no clear reason (I think it's a
response to shade, but I'm not at all sure); these dead branches may
be an increased septicaemia hazard, as they can hang about for years.

You need separate male and female plants if you want sloes.

Mike.

Old 25-01-2005, 12:38 PM
Mike Lyle

Karen wrote:
"Keith Hampson" wrote in message
Hi I am new to gardening, I want an edge about 42 foot long, I am
wanting an attraction for wildlife and security, someone suggested
to me Hawthorne, can anyone give me some more ideas?

thanks

I would recommend you have a look at the Buckingham nurseries site
www.hedging.co.uk - they have pictures of lots of hedges after a

year
and mature. Very good service too.

No connection other than as a satisfied customer.

Seconded: I'd recommend them to anybody.

Mike.

Old 25-01-2005, 01:34 PM
Martin Brown

Kay wrote:

Fast growing and thorny is a double edged sword. You have to keep on top
of pruning it or else!

And you have to make sure you collect all the prunings and not leave any
lying on the lawn or lurking amongst your flowers. But the OP did want
security ;-)

You always miss a bit. And pyracantha goes through even the thinkest
gloves if you get hold of the wrong bit.

Lots of other hedging plants with berries and
with/without thorns exist with variable growth rates.

Hawthorn and blackthorne do look a bit bare in midwinter (ie now).

Blackthorn, yes, but hawthorn is so densely twiggy that, although it is
leafless, it is dense enough not to look bare. Personally, I prefer the
look of the dense mass of hawthorn twigs to the dead leaves that persist
through winter on beech, but that's just a personal opinion - others, I
know, feel differently.

I like my beech hedge. I don't like it so much when the leaves
eventually drop off and clog the drains but it does have a nice range f
colours from copper brown in winter to acid green in early spring with
mature leaves a nice midgreen. I just hope it doesn't get plagues of
whitefly next year...

How keen are the birds on cotoneaster? All our native berries -
whitebeam, rowan, rose hips, holly, elderberry - are long since gone,
but our birds are yet to start on the pyracantha, viburnum will be later
than that, and Cotoneaster (the nasty little horizontal thing), skimmia
and pernettya will probably remain untouched.

The birds round here will eat anything. A few windfall apples are still
left, but all the red berries in my garden are long gone. Eventually
they will eat most orange, purple and yellow berries too. And a
birdfeeder full of nuts every couple of days when I remember to fill it.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Extending edge of butyl liner to stop leaking JohnB United Kingdom 1 14-04-2003 03:20 PM
Plants for a pond edge Neil Law Ponds 5 20-03-2003 03:56 PM
FS: Black & Decker Edge Hog 11 amp Electric Edger John North Carolina 0 17-03-2003 12:32 PM
Explanation of "edge effects" David Hare-Scott Permaculture 10 24-11-2002 01:18 PM
ground cover for pond edge Carol Russell United Kingdom 3 30-09-2002 10:24 AM