Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26-01-2005, 09:00 PM
david

Default right-handed digging.

It'a funny thing but most of us right handed gardeners dig
left-handed,i.e. our left foot goes on the spade and our left hand goes
down the shaft.Try digging right-handed and you will problably send the
clods all over the place when you lift them up; but it's well-worth
persevering to alternate the strain on your back and conserve your
energy.When you dig make sure that the blade is vertical which means
that the shaft is tilted slightly forward,put both hands on the handle
and one foot on the blade then push down; if the ground is hard you may
have to jump on the spade; pull back on the handle then push down until
the clod is free;bend the knees not the back then lift up by
straightening them( it helps if you look forward not down);turn the
clod or throw forward.At the end of the row do not go back to the start
but step back, change from left to right ( or vice versa) and proceed
back. When you have finished come indoors and lie flat on your face
with your legs together and arms by your side.Keeping your leg straight
raise it up for a few moments then lower it.Repeat with the other leg.
Clench your fists and raising the hips slightly push your hands
along your groins and rest your weight on them.Now raise both legs
simultaneously.If you have any minor displacements you will feel them
being lifted into place.
I am eighty years of age and this morning I dug a small part of the
garden for my onion sets,afterwards forking in some 6-X. (10 ft x 4'6
ins).I have cultivated this garden for over fifty years.Some of the TV
gardeners make me wince when they dig - others are good at mixing
concrete,and no doubt some bright young things will take over after me
and build more patios and fountains and pretty pebbles whilst eating
bought pizzas;meantime I'll stick to the soil and the incomparible
organic produce and live a bit longer.