Old 27-01-2005, 06:32 PM
JennyC

"Sacha" wrote

snip

And a word to all those lefties out there - if you're customers of Lloyds
Bank you can get a left handed cheque book and it's a real boon!
Sacha

Aggghh pet hate mode on

Cheques !!
Totally antiquated and out of date.
Why does England persist with them ????
Debit cards are SOOOOOOOO much handier !

hate mode off
Jenny

Old 27-01-2005, 07:44 PM
Richard Brooks

david wrote:
It'a funny thing but most of us right handed gardeners dig
left-handed,i.e. our left foot goes on the spade and our left hand
goes down the shaft.Try digging right-handed and you will problably
send the clods all over the place when you lift them up; but it's
well-worth persevering to alternate the strain on your back and
conserve your energy.When you dig make sure that the blade is
vertical which means that the shaft is tilted slightly forward,put
both hands on the handle and one foot on the blade then push down; if
the ground is hard you may have to jump on the spade; pull back on
the handle then push down until the clod is free;bend the knees not
the back then lift up by straightening them( it helps if you look
forward not down);turn the clod or throw forward.At the end of the
row do not go back to the start but step back, change from left to
right ( or vice versa) and proceed back. When you have finished come
indoors and lie flat on your face with your legs together and arms
by your side.

Spade size must also come into account. I've got my grandfather's spade
(the old tools really are the best) and it's narrower than the types
available from the usual outlets and it's beautiful to work with. I also
find that the plastic handles don't seem to work against the skin the same
way as steel.

As to left-handedness. I'm a sinister but eat and play the piano
right-handed although I found using a Lee Enfield a pain in the arse. Well,
it was for the guy in front!

Richard.

Old 27-01-2005, 07:47 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
vsop wrote:

This topic was raised late last year at our local, and out of a group of 14
right-handed gardeners, 9 dug using their left foot/hand, one used both left
and right, and 4 used their right foot/hand.

Not significantly different from 50/50.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-01-2005, 07:48 PM
Richard Brooks

JennyC wrote:
"Sacha" wrote

snip

And a word to all those lefties out there - if you're customers of
Lloyds Bank you can get a left handed cheque book and it's a real
boon!
Sacha

Aggghh pet hate mode on

Cheques !!
Totally antiquated and out of date.
Why does England persist with them ????
Debit cards are SOOOOOOOO much handier !

hate mode off
Jenny

Victor Meldrew mode on
Don't get me started! The government has insisted that everything goes to
direct (electronic) payment in all forms so no utility bills and the rest.
The banks still work in the old ways of the paper chain when an account is
set up. Try setting an account up for your old mother!

Victor Meldrew mode off /

Richard.

Old 27-01-2005, 07:50 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
jane wrote:

Anyone know what the genetics of lefthandedness are?

If I recall correctly, complicated and definitely not Mendelian.
I.e. there are inherited tendencies, but no more than that.

Given the advantages of writing roman script when a righty, and having
90-ish% of western folk a righty, is there a greater tendency to
lefthandedness in peoples who write R-L like Hebrew or Arabic? And
what about Chinese pictograms (Top-bottom??)

Again, if I recall correctly, no.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-01-2005, 07:51 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Richard Brooks wrote:

As to left-handedness. I'm a sinister but eat and play the piano
right-handed although I found using a Lee Enfield a pain in the arse. Well,
it was for the guy in front!

Isn't the whole point of a Lee Enfield to be a pain to the person in
front of it?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-01-2005, 08:43 PM
rwakeford

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 19:44:36 -0000, Richard Brooks wrote:

play the piano right-handed

It's the only way you can play it! There was a left handed piano made
but it didn't work out.
--
Richard 27/01/2005 21:43:01
Old 27-01-2005, 10:07 PM
Franz Heymann

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

[snip]
I am extremely right-handed, and have serious difficulty operating a
screwdriver left-handed, yet have no trouble operating a wrench - in
fact, I probably do that left-handed from preference. I dig on the
right side from preference (with hand tools as well as long ones),
but can use the other side when it is more convenient. This is all
very normal.

I am left handed wth a vengeance. At school, my left hand was tied
behind my back to force me to write with the other one.
One dubious advantage of that is that I can, without any practice,
write mirror writing with my left hand, with the same (inverted)
handwriting as my normal one.
On occsion, when my students showed signs of drowsiness during my
lectures, I used to write on the board with my right hand and when
reaching the right hand end of the board, I would slip the chalk into
my left hand and continue writing in mirror writing to the left whilst
continuing my patter uninterruptedly. The stamping of feet would
signal to me that the class had woken up.

Franz

Old 28-01-2005, 12:51 AM
Richard Brooks

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Richard Brooks wrote:

As to left-handedness. I'm a sinister but eat and play the piano
right-handed although I found using a Lee Enfield a pain in the
arse. Well, it was for the guy in front!

Isn't the whole point of a Lee Enfield to be a pain to the person in
front of it?

From behind the Lee Enfield anyone in the line of sight is in front of it
(and probably safer for it, with a left-hander in charge) !

The coking mechanism is right-handed so any hot cases eject away from the
body but for a left-hander it all ends up like something out of a Rob Wilton
gag with natural tendencies trying to take over from what was instructed. I
find the same problem with a zoom lens on a 35mm camera.

Richard.

Richard.

Old 28-01-2005, 12:52 AM
Richard Brooks

rwakeford wrote:
On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 19:44:36 -0000, Richard Brooks wrote:

play the piano right-handed

It's the only way you can play it! There was a left handed piano made
but it didn't work out.

Didn't Victor Borge try it ?

Just lay face down on the piano!

Richard.

Old 28-01-2005, 04:11 AM
rwakeford

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 00:52:12 -0000, Richard Brooks wrote:

Didn't Victor Borge try it ?

Highly likely. He did some crazy things.

Just lay face down on the piano!

Ouch, just thinking of the angle of your arms and wrists!

--
Richard 28/01/2005 05:10:38
Old 28-01-2005, 06:58 AM
JennyC

"Sacha" wrote
"JennyC" wrote:
"Sacha" wrote

snip

Aggghh pet hate mode on
Cheques !!
Totally antiquated and out of date.
Why does England persist with them ????
Debit cards are SOOOOOOOO much handier !

A local travel agent will charge me even for using my debit card.

That's because it's not standard practice (yet) :~))

few days ago I went to one of those sales of posh goods in a posh house and
later spoke to someone who had bought quite a lot and post-dated her cheque!

smug mode on
No wonder debt is such a huge problem in the UK :~)
snug mode off

I admit I was surprised by this but you can't post-date a debit card.

See ,smug mode

One or two of our local shops won't take either debit or credit cards so in

e.g.
a local butcher I have no choice but to use a cheque.

Is he situated next door to above mentioned travel agent ?

You would be *amazed* how many people say to us "you don't take cards, do
you?" to which the answer is "we've been doing so for years".

Bravo.

there seems to be a British reluctance to have your money zoom out of your
bank account before you can change your mind. ;-)
Sacha

Yes, but surely one thinks about what ones buys before hand ?

Don't start me on my 2nd pet hate about being able to get a massive mortgage
based on the house you want and not on the income you have....... :~))

Jenny

Old 28-01-2005, 07:00 AM
JennyC

"Richard Brooks" wrote in message
JennyC wrote:
[...]

It's all probably a cunning plan by the government to keep as many bank workers
as possible in employ :~))
Jenny

Old 29-01-2005, 04:15 PM
Richard Brooks

JennyC wrote:
"Richard Brooks" wrote in message
JennyC wrote:
"Sacha" wrote

snip

[massive snippage of the best bits]

Victor Meldrew mode on
Don't get me started! The government has insisted that everything
goes to direct (electronic) payment in all forms so no utility bills
and the rest. The banks still work in the old ways of the paper
chain when an account is set up. Try setting an account up for your
old mother! Victor Meldrew mode off /
Richard.

It's all probably a cunning plan by the government to keep as many
bank workers as possible in employ :~))
Jenny

Y'know, I think you're right! Moreover, I think these are the very people
that, when the news items about school children and students leaving their
various residences of education, we were told who were the ones who could
not read or write, we were shocked at first then forgot that these people
must surface somewhere in society some years in the future.

Damn you brain, for forgetting!

Richard.