Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30-01-2005, 10:55 PM
jane

On 30 Jan 2005 20:19:24 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

~In article ,
~jane wrote:
~
~This is actually rather more worrying. If the central composting plant
~cannot get to high temperatures, how on earth are they going to
~prevent the resulting compost spreading somebody's dumped Japanese
~Knotweed or horsetail all over Wales???
~
~Urk. South Welsh gardeners may be wise to avoid buying the resulting
~compost!
~
~Well, they may be, but not for that reason. Such roots don't last
~long even in a 'cold' composting process, because they have to either
~grow or die - and there isn't enough light (and often not enough air)
~to grow. Also, when they do sprout, the new growth is very susceptible
~to attack by bacteria and fungi.

er, I think it *can* survive
http://www.compost.me.uk/html/japanese_knotweed.html

"The results of the study suggest that for regeneration to be
prevented a temperature greater than 55oC needs to be maintained in
the compost, for at least one week."

So I guess the question is how hot does it actually get?

~The danger comes from bacteria, fungi etc. with resistant spores, such
~as tetanus or anthrax (neither currently a major problem in the UK),
~and possibly things like white rot of alliums. I don't know which
~plant pathogens have resistant spores, but it is fewer than most people
~think.

mmm I'd hate to acquire white rot or anything else for that matter via
poorly made compost. I could do right now with about a ton of topsoil
for my new lottie raised beds but not till I find a reputable supplier
for that and the organic matter it will no doubt need mixing with.

Ah, the joys of organic veggie gardening!

--
jane

Mark Twain

home made grow bags using tesco carrier bags. jww United Kingdom 5 13-06-2006 12:41 PM
Tea bags Andy Petro Edible Gardening 1 05-08-2005 06:40 PM
Tea bags and coffee grains. GaryM Gardening 7 25-10-2003 04:22 AM
Composting Tea Bags paul pettet United Kingdom 68 01-07-2003 09:33 PM
Composting Tea Bags paul pettet United Kingdom 2 25-06-2003 03:20 PM