Old 29-01-2005, 02:29 AM
Peter

Default Wasps in January?

A couple of days ago my wife was alarmed by a loud buzzing behind
the curtain of the north facing bedroom window. Brave husband
coming to her aid found an active queen wasp there!

Has anyone else had an encounter with a wasp this year? I wonder
what woke this one up - and where it was sleeping!

Peter
Old 29-01-2005, 09:15 AM
June Hughes

In message , Peter
writes
A couple of days ago my wife was alarmed by a loud buzzing behind
the curtain of the north facing bedroom window. Brave husband
coming to her aid found an active queen wasp there!

Has anyone else had an encounter with a wasp this year? I wonder
what woke this one up - and where it was sleeping!

Sometimes they come out from hibernation if we have an unusual spell of
warmish weather. A couple of years ago, at night-time, our son went up
in the loft and left the door open. Sure enough, out flew a huge wasp,
which must have been up there for the winter.
--
June Hughes
Old 29-01-2005, 01:50 PM
Peter

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 02:29:03 +0000 (UTC), Peter
wrote:

A couple of days ago my wife was alarmed by a loud buzzing behind
the curtain of the north facing bedroom window. Brave husband
coming to her aid found an active queen wasp there!

Has anyone else had an encounter with a wasp this year? I wonder
what woke this one up - and where it was sleeping!

Peter

Thank you all,

Well, yes, the heating house temperature was set up a bit during the
recent cold weather. But we are cautious ((mean ?) and the upstairs
temperature is set for night-time only and then only to 61 deg F
maximum. Before flaming starts let me say that the exception to
this rule is when the grandchildren visit on Thirsdays. The wasp
appeared on a Monday or Tuesday.

The trapdoor into the attic was "Cracked" to allow some heat up
there. It normally settles at about 9 deg F cooler than the landing
during cold weather. ** I suppose that we must be grateful that we
may have been spared a wasp nest in the attic next May. To be on the
safe side I will give the attic a good spraying. Being in the
north midlands this is the prime time for queen wasps looking for
nest sites.

** The water pipes have trace heaters.

Thanks again,

Peter.