Old 31-01-2005, 06:40 PM

Default online herb course.

Hi - I'm new to gardening and interested in growing some herbs. I found
this online course, and was wondering if anyone has done it and could
recomend it? Its 67 pounds and maybe my money would be spent on a good
book & plenty of seeds instead.
http://www.acseduonline.com/courses/product.aspx?id=142

Thanks,
Kevin.

Old 31-01-2005, 07:22 PM
Mike Lyle

Hi - I'm new to gardening and interested in growing some herbs. I
found this online course, and was wondering if anyone has done it

and
could recomend it? Its 67 pounds and maybe my money would be spent

on
a good book & plenty of seeds instead.
http://www.acseduonline.com/courses/product.aspx?id=142

Definitely: looks like one of the most bare-faced rip-offs on the
whole Internet. I wonder if they spend their spare time running the
Nigerian scam. Almost any general gardening book will do -- say ten
quid, or twenty, tops (it'll only take half an hour to note down all
you need to know in the library or from the Internet, though) -- and
you'll still have change after buying all the herb seeds and plants
you need.

There really is nothing special about growing herbs, except that most
of them are tougher than many other plants. In general, well-drained
soil, not too rich, in a sunny position, read what it says on the
packet, and you're away. Chives and basil want better soil. It'll be
fun.

Some of the fancier ones are easier to get as plants than as seed,
but if you're a beginner you may want to wait till next year for
those.

Mike.

Old 31-01-2005, 07:56 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Mike Lyle wrote:

There really is nothing special about growing herbs, except that most
of them are tougher than many other plants. In general, well-drained
soil, not too rich, in a sunny position, read what it says on the
packet, and you're away. Chives and basil want better soil. It'll be
fun.

Yes, indeed. Many of them grow well as pot plants, too. See the
Herb FAQ on rec.gardens.edible for most of what you need to know.

Some of the fancier ones are easier to get as plants than as seed,
but if you're a beginner you may want to wait till next year for
those.

But many of the common ones are very cheap as small plants in garden
centres! Don't pay good money for annuals and biennials in pots,
but perennials can be good value.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 31-01-2005, 09:50 PM
Franz Heymann

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi - I'm new to gardening and interested in growing some herbs. I

found
this online course, and was wondering if anyone has done it and

could
recomend it? Its 67 pounds and maybe my money would be spent on a

good
book & plenty of seeds instead.
http://www.acseduonline.com/courses/product.aspx?id=142

If all you want to do is to grow a small selection of the herbs which
are generally obtainable from seedsmen, nurseries and garden centres,
you will be wasting your money if you subscribe to that course.
You only need one or two thin books on herb culture in order to get
started.

Franz

Old 01-02-2005, 10:07 AM
jane

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 21:50:20 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

~
wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

If you're really intending to grow a lot of herbs, try this book
(details lifted off their website)

RHS Encyclopedia of Herbs and their Uses
By Deni Bown

A fully-revised edition, now in alphabetical order and including
information on all culinary, medicinal and economic use of herbs.

Hardback 448pp.
ISBN 1405300590
Price £30

I have the old version which I acquired as part of a book club offer,
and learned there's a lot more to herbs than the half dozen things
that usually end up in a herb wheel...

--
jane

Mark Twain