Old 06-02-2005, 09:59 AM
Keith Hampson

Default Seeding a lawn

I am going to seed my lawn, is it possible to do it in stages, the grass is
120 ft x 42 ft, I don't have the time to do it all in one go, I will use all
the same seed for the all the lawn, and will I be left with different
shades, also at the minute it is covered in wild grass, will I be able to
just turn it over and seed over the top?

Old 06-02-2005, 10:21 AM
anton

"Keith Hampson" wrote in message
I am going to seed my lawn, is it possible to do it in stages, the grass

is
120 ft x 42 ft, I don't have the time to do it all in one go, I will use

all
the same seed for the all the lawn, and will I be left with different
shades, also at the minute it is covered in wild grass, will I be able to
just turn it over and seed over the top?

Preparation is the most important thing with a lawn. 'Just turning it over'
is likely to give you a very bumpy lawn, and some of the tussocks and wild
grasses are likely to come through. If you use the same seed but sow at
different times, the you needn't have any worries about the grass being a
different shade.

I'd suggest waiting until it's a bit warmer, glyphosating the existing
grass, waiting for it to die, then hiring a rotovator & roller and doing it
all in one. When rotovating, pick out as many tussocks and big stones as
you can.

--
Anton

Old 06-02-2005, 12:50 PM
Mike Lyle

anton wrote:
[...]

Sound stuff from Anton. But you say it's already "covered in wild
grass". That means it's a lawn _already_. There really isn't that
much difference between wild grasses and the everyday selected
varieties: and the ones that grow naturally with you are almost
certainly the ones best suited to your conditions.

Unless you want the challenge of producing a story-book lawn, why not
just mow what you've got regularly? By the summer you should have a
perfectly ordinary lawn. The main secret of a nice sward is more the
regular cutting than the grass varieties. You may have to do some
weeding, and there may be some troublesome tufts of coarse grasses to
chop out; but you'll get that sooner or later even if you start from
seed.

I certainly wouldn't dig it up, unless it's just incredibly bumpy:
that's asking for a sentence of hard labour. Anton's right, as usual,
to mention the roller, too: do you really want all that if you can
avoid it?

Mike.

Old 07-02-2005, 07:24 PM
Derryl Killan

Hi From Calgary

Wait til the weather warms up and hit your wild grass with
Round UP and kill all the wild grasses. Otherwise you'll have
a mess of wild grass infected turf.

Derryl

Old 07-02-2005, 07:38 PM
Mike Lyle

Derryl Killan wrote:
Hi From Calgary

Wait til the weather warms up and hit your wild grass with
Round UP and kill all the wild grasses. Otherwise you'll have
a mess of wild grass infected turf.

Derryl

I am going to seed my lawn, is it possible to do it in
stages, the grass is 120 ft x 42 ft, I don't have the time
to do it all in one go, I will use all the same seed for
the all the lawn, and will I be left with different shades,
also at the minute it is covered in wild grass, will I be
able to just turn it over and seed over the top?

Hi Derryl. Brit conditions are different: wild grasses, with only a
few exceptions, make the same lawn as the ones out of the packet.
That's why lawns are a British inventio-- invented not by the people,
of course, but by rabbits and sheep. (And why British gardeners
continue to waste space with them.)

Mike.

Re-seeding my lawn: no visible growth after 16 days! Keith Brown United Kingdom 6 08-04-2009 10:50 PM
lawn seeding? Ni North Carolina 1 03-11-2003 08:33 PM
Lawn Seeding Thrill Gardening 1 05-10-2003 04:32 PM
Seeding lawn v turf - what type Geoff Australia 5 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
Seeding a lawn Dan United Kingdom 2 31-03-2003 08:56 AM