Old 13-02-2005, 11:28 AM
Mike

Default Compost worms

The worms used in a compost bin are different to 'yer actual garden worms'
so where do they come from?

I have seen advice on here that one can buy them, but our compost worms 'get
themselves' into the compost bins. Could this be because most of our bins
are part on but part off the garden in that we have concrete/bricks under
them to an extent of about 80%, not by design but by where we want to 'fit
them in' to the overall picture.

Mike

--
H.M.S.Collingwood Ass. Llandudno 20 - 23 May Trip to Portmeirion
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Lanc Bomber Fly Past

Old 13-02-2005, 12:04 PM
pk

Mike wrote:
The worms used in a compost bin are different to 'yer actual garden
worms' so where do they come from?

I have seen advice on here that one can buy them, but our compost
worms 'get themselves' into the compost bins. Could this be because
most of our bins are part on but part off the garden in that we have
concrete/bricks under them to an extent of about 80%, not by design
but by where we want to 'fit them in' to the overall picture.

One of the "cons" run by those selling wormeries is that you need to buy
special worms.

Nonsense. If you have a normal compost heap. Take a couple of bucketsful off
active compost, spread on a plastic sheet, cover with a black bin bag. leave
for 30 minutes. take off the binbag and collect the loverly brandlings
before they scurry back into the compost!

pk

Old 13-02-2005, 12:27 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
pk wrote:
Mike wrote:
The worms used in a compost bin are different to 'yer actual garden
worms' so where do they come from?

I have seen advice on here that one can buy them, but our compost
worms 'get themselves' into the compost bins. Could this be because
most of our bins are part on but part off the garden in that we have
concrete/bricks under them to an extent of about 80%, not by design
but by where we want to 'fit them in' to the overall picture.

One of the "cons" run by those selling wormeries is that you need to buy
special worms.

Nonsense. If you have a normal compost heap. Take a couple of bucketsful off
active compost, spread on a plastic sheet, cover with a black bin bag. leave
for 30 minutes. take off the binbag and collect the loverly brandlings
before they scurry back into the compost!

Essentially, yes. As I understand it, the common earthworm (Lumbricus
terrestris) makes a bad "compost worm", though it may well be present
in large numbers in a traditional heap - I don't know[*]. But another
earthworm (Lumbricus rubellus, a.k.a. the redworm) makes quite decent
one, the brandlings and tiger worms are even better, and there are
others that are better still.

As many or most of them are present in most gardens, they will search
out suitable food - such as is found in your compost bin - provided
that they have access. So they will just appear as if by magic (as,
indeed, was once believe to be the case). And you can transfer them
between heaps simply by moving a shovel of active compost or as
described above.

The way to get a starter faster is apparently to place a small pile
of compost material on the earth in a damp, shady part of the garden
(watering the ground and providing shade if necessary), cover with
black plastic, wait overnight (or for a couple of nights?) and look
in the morning.

It's all natcheral, innit?

[*] I have never tried to identify whether the worms in my heap are
Lumbricus terrestris or Lumbricus rubellus.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-02-2005, 07:23 PM

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 11:28:15 +0000 (UTC), "Mike" wrote:

The worms used in a compost bin are different to 'yer actual garden worms'
so where do they come from?

I have seen advice on here that one can buy them, but our compost worms 'get
themselves' into the compost bins. Could this be because most of our bins
are part on but part off the garden in that we have concrete/bricks under
them to an extent of about 80%, not by design but by where we want to 'fit
them in' to the overall picture.

Mike

--
H.M.S.Collingwood Ass. Llandudno 20 - 23 May Trip to Portmeirion
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Lanc Bomber Fly Past
H.M.S.Impregnable Ass. Sussex 1 - 4 July Visit to Int. Fest of the Sea
British Pacific Fleet. Derby 2 - 5 Sept. Visit to Denby Pottery

I have noticed the same thing about the worms but as they make great
compost I'm not bothered where they come from. Our 'dalek' (provided
by the Council by the way) sits on soil. Someone on the BBC group was
complaining about masses of small flies in hers when she takes off the
lid but I don't have that problem and there is no smell at all.
Diana

Old 14-02-2005, 10:00 AM
Martin Sykes

wrote in message
On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 11:28:15 +0000 (UTC), "Mike" wrote:
snip Someone on the BBC group was
complaining about masses of small flies in hers when she takes off the
lid but I don't have that problem and there is no smell at all.
Diana

I've got three compost bins and only the one which is currently in use has
the problem with flies. The other two have none at all. I think it's down to
having a lot of fruit added to it. The other two have mostly garden
clippings in them.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 16-02-2005, 11:27 PM
CK

I had the same problem of flies before. However I read an article saying
that kitchen stuff attracts flies and suggest covering a layer of brown
stuff (I used shredded junk mails and newspaper) and moist the layer. The
situation has improved a lot then.

CK