Old 13-02-2005, 08:13 PM
Mike Lyle

goldfinch wrote:
A Magnolia seiboldii plant has arrived from a mail order company,
with its' roots encased in what appears to be a net bag. I have
never come across this before and was wondering if anyone else has,
and if so, do I plant it as it is, or remove the bag first.

I know that magnolias are particularly sensative to root

disturbance,
so is this a new way round the problem.

Perhaps it depends what the net is made of: natural fibres will rot
away, of course, while synthetic ones won't. On the whole I'd say
unpick the thing gently (and I'd do it in the planting hole in case
the soil in the root ball tries to fall out), unless somebody here
recognizes the situation and says to leave it on. The firm should
really have enclosed instructions: naughty.

Mike.

Old 13-02-2005, 10:04 PM
Emrys Davies

Hopefully you will find this site helpful. It tells you exactly what
you need to know.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c.../planting.html
Scroll to 'Planting balled and burlapped plants'.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

"goldfinch" wrote in message
A Magnolia seiboldii plant has arrived from a mail order company, with

its'
roots encased in what appears to be a net bag. I have never come

across
this before and was wondering if anyone else has, and if so, do I

plant it
as it is, or remove the bag first.

I know that magnolias are particularly sensative to root disturbance,

so is
this a new way round the problem.

TIA.

Marina
E. Sx

Old 15-02-2005, 05:23 AM
goldfinch

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message
Hopefully you will find this site helpful. It tells you exactly what
you need to know.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c.../planting.html
Scroll to 'Planting balled and burlapped plants'.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Thanks for this Emrys. I will try the burning tip tomorrow ;-)

Best wishes,
Marina

small magnolia tree growing Lewis Spurlin Jr North Carolina 1 29-04-2003 02:20 PM
Magnolia tree on the move BB North Carolina 1 25-04-2003 06:56 PM
Where to buy magnolia trees in hampshire John Moran United Kingdom 8 16-04-2003 10:44 AM
magnolia info please...... will Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Young Magnolia Tree SarahF Gardening 1 02-04-2003 01:56 AM