Old 06-06-2010, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default problem with Acer leaves?

Hi, this is our first Acer, its a Acer Japonica Orange Dream. we have had it
for 8 weeks, its about 3ft tall, and the end of some of the leaves are
turning brown, around the edges the top ones are beginning to wither, its in
a large pot,

I'll try and root out a photo if that description isn't good enough, thanks.
I'm in Formby, north west of England, about a mile from the coast, but
fairly sheltered. Its in part shade in the morning, and sun in the late
afternoon and evening.

Sheila.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/06/2010 10:10, sheila wrote:
Hi, this is our first Acer, its a Acer Japonica Orange Dream. we have had it
for 8 weeks, its about 3ft tall, and the end of some of the leaves are
turning brown, around the edges the top ones are beginning to wither, its in
a large pot,

I'll try and root out a photo if that description isn't good enough, thanks.
I'm in Formby, north west of England, about a mile from the coast, but
fairly sheltered. Its in part shade in the morning, and sun in the late
afternoon and evening.

Sheila.

It sounds as if it may be failing to take up sufficient water to cope
with what it's losing through its leaves. A lot of nursery grown acers
are produced in shade houses, so have a root ball of the right size to
cope with these conditions, but put it outside with full sun for part of
the day and it can't cope. Wind scorch may also be playing a part.

Try moving it to a more shaded spot, if you haven't potted it on, move
it to a bit larger pot when it's had chance to settle into it's new
surroundings.

Jill
Old 06-06-2010, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://s528.photobucket.com/albums/dd322/sheilaformby/

Old 06-06-2010, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jill Bell" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for quick response Jill, take a look at the picture, and see if it
confirms what you think it might be? Thanks

Old 06-06-2010, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/06/2010 11:10 AM, sheila wrote:
Hi, this is our first Acer, its a Acer Japonica Orange Dream. we have had it
for 8 weeks, its about 3ft tall, and the end of some of the leaves are
turning brown, around the edges the top ones are beginning to wither, its in
a large pot,

I'll try and root out a photo if that description isn't good enough, thanks.
I'm in Formby, north west of England, about a mile from the coast, but
fairly sheltered. Its in part shade in the morning, and sun in the late
afternoon and evening.

Sheila.

Hi Sheila,

The name of your plant is Acer palmatum 'Orange Dream', not "japonica",
it was apparently mislabeled.

This plant can barely take afternoon sun under the best of
circumstances. In a pot, you're seeing the result. Move it into the
dappled shade or to someplace where it gets morning (only) light, your
problem will clear up.

With respect to Jill, don't over water it, that will kill it just as
sure as not enough. The pot is fine, a bigger pot will be harder to
drain and it will be susceptible to unhappy roots.

Looks like it should be fine. This is a very lovely plant and justly
popular. Note that without root pruning it risks to get pretty big,
though, even in a pot.

-E

Old 06-06-2010, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jill Bell" wrote in message
[...]

I would just like to say that I have one these and for years it was in a pot
in full sun with no problems at all. It sort of lived on neglect and was so
hardy and tough that I have now planted it in a difficult position under a
palm tree knowing that it will do well no matter what.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/06/2010 05:28 PM, Racquel Darrian wrote:
I would just like to say that I have one these and for years it was in a
pot in full sun with no problems at all. It sort of lived on neglect and
was so hardy and tough that I have now planted it in a difficult
position under a palm tree knowing that it will do well no matter what.

You had 'Orange Dream' in a pot in full sun for years, not some other
Acer? That's extraordinary. Still stranger things, right? And of
course 'full sun' in Devon or like is not the same as someplace with a
more continental climate.

Orange Dream is a pretty easy maple, which in some part accounts for
it's popularity -- it was only introduced in 1991 but is now one of the
most available Acers -- along with the fact that it leafs out a couple
of weeks later than the older 'Katsura' and is as such less prone to
late frosts.

But there's no question that this one is very prone to sun burn.

-E
Old 06-06-2010, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
[...]

It was a spur of the moment buy. When I got it home I had no where to put it
so I put it in a large pot and forgot about it, giving it a water as I
passed by now and again. I tried to give it to visiting friends but no one
wanted it. It came back fully every year including this year after the very
cold winter. I've never protected it in any way. I finally had a reshuffle
and found a place for it. It's coming on wonderful. I just checked it and
there's no leaf scorch on it and it's in full Bristol Sun.
Maybe I've got a tough one.

problem with an acer? Alan United Kingdom 3 28-04-2006 06:29 PM
Acer problem Glen Able United Kingdom 3 15-02-2005 08:53 AM
acer 'palmatum' loosing all its leaves [email protected] United Kingdom 8 09-11-2003 06:05 PM
Leaves, leaves and yet more leaves! John Towill United Kingdom 12 01-11-2003 12:43 PM
Acer with brown tips on leaves Randall P. McMurphy United Kingdom 6 20-05-2003 03:08 PM