Old 19-02-2005, 06:09 PM
Colin Jacobs

Default Lily Beetles

Has anyone experienced these little devils? Seem to be active already
chomping Ruscus aculeatus at our Tesco Store car park.

CJ

Old 19-02-2005, 09:38 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Jacobs
Has anyone experienced these little devils? Seem to be active already
chomping Ruscus aculeatus at our Tesco Store car park.

CJ

Surely they can't be out already!!! There is a research project going on at the John Innes Centre in Norwich on these beasts. I sent some of my beetles to them last year.
Old 19-02-2005, 10:50 PM
Bob Hobden

"Colin Jacobs" wrote
Has anyone experienced these little devils? Seem to be active already
chomping Ruscus aculeatus at our Tesco Store car park.

Yes, been common round here for years. Neighbour had had an expanding clump
of Madonna Lillies for years and they soon went when those red devils turned
up.
You need to pick them off the plants and destroy them daily, miss a day and
your plants are lost when the young hatch. They look like bird droppings as
they cover themselves in their own excrement, nice!
They seem to love Madonna lillies most of all but any lilly will do, also
fritillarias especially Crown Imperials (mine all went).
This is one pest I do advocate a systemic spray for if you want to save/grow
lilies etc.

--
Regards
Bob

lily beetles bugzgrl Gardening 6 28-01-2006 12:00 AM
lily beetles enigma Gardening 5 31-05-2005 10:44 PM
Lily Beetles Spider United Kingdom 4 24-05-2005 07:03 PM
lily beetles - what eats them ? And summer bulbs. Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat United Kingdom 14 23-05-2004 05:07 PM
Lily beetles spreading... Bob United Kingdom 10 20-05-2004 12:05 PM