Old 19-12-2002, 09:48 PM
PaulK

Default Whinge! Was Leylandii

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "bnd777" contains these words:

Boy is the cost of living cheap in your area
Quote down south would be at least £100

Per hour? £4,000 per week, £200,000 per year?

No wonder you can't get enough teachers and nurses down there, they must
be leaving the profession in droves to qualify as tree fellers.

Janet

Quoting time, Office admin time, travelling time, vehicle running costs,
vehicle depreciation, dead time between jobs, rained off time, cost of
equipment, cost of disposal, cost of public liability insurance,
professional indemnity insurance, equipment insurance, sickness insurance,
pension plan......................

£15/hour sounds astonishingly cheap!

Jobbing contractors will have billable hours of 50-75% of their working
time.

£15/hour for 1850 working hours (normal employed working time) x 75% =
£20,800 top line income before any business costs are taken out.

About 6 years ago, I was doing jobbing work in Wimbledon Village and
charging £10/hour to a client in 1.5 acre garden, 6/8 bed house in the
centre of the village. (Value then??? £5M??) They went off for a weekend and
came back telling me that their "friends in the country only pay £4/hour for
their gardener", and clearly expected me to reduce my rates : Our
relationship did not survive very long.... about 30 seconds!

Why is it that because hobby gardeners do it for love in their own garden so
many of them expect to pay a pittance when they have work done for them?

pk

Old 20-12-2002, 12:03 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "PaulK" contains these words:

£15/hour for 1850 working hours (normal employed working time) x 75% =
£20,800 top line income before any business costs are taken out

That would be an above average wage here. In Scotland as a whole,
plenty of people do skilled and responsible work for far less. For
instance, the back of public buses in Glasgow carry an advert which says
"PSV licence holders wanted as bus drivers; £6 per hour". On Arran, many
jobs in tourism, public services and care homes, pay under £6 per hour.

Janet.

Old 20-12-2002, 12:48 AM
PaulK

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "PaulK" contains these words:

£15/hour for 1850 working hours (normal employed working time) x 75% =
£20,800 top line income before any business costs are taken out

That would be an above average wage here. In Scotland as a whole,
plenty of people do skilled and responsible work for far less. For
instance, the back of public buses in Glasgow carry an advert which says
"PSV licence holders wanted as bus drivers; £6 per hour". On Arran, many
jobs in tourism, public services and care homes, pay under £6 per hour.

Janet.

Two points:

First on topic: Even so you have to allow for all the additional cost of
running a business £20k top line does not leave too much on the bottom line!
Hourly rates for garden work are far below that needed to sustain a viable
business and family - hence it is degenerating into an unqualified labouring
market.

Second, so far off topic that I don my asbestos suit as I type: Your point
on differentials between regions is well made and just serves to highlight
the ridiculous policy of National Salary Scales for (eg) public servants
like Teachers and Nurses. (Pray allow the cross border issue for sake of
argument?). A head teacher on Arran on £32k is very well paid, a Head
teacher at a local primary here in Wimbledon on £32k = London weighting of
3k is poorly paid!

pk

Old 20-12-2002, 06:40 PM
David Rance

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, PaulK wrote:

Why is it that because hobby gardeners do it for love in their own garden so
many of them expect to pay a pittance when they have work done for them?

Huh! You want to be a musician! We are often told that we don't need to
be paid for our services because we enjoy what we do so much!

| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS: ICHTHUS (Reading) +44-118-946-1466 | Reading, UK |

Old 21-12-2002, 10:36 AM
Essjay001

PaulK scribbled:

About 6 years ago, I was doing jobbing work in Wimbledon Village and
charging £10/hour to a client in 1.5 acre garden, 6/8 bed house in the
centre of the village. (Value then??? £5M??) They went off for a
weekend and came back telling me that their "friends in the country
only pay £4/hour for their gardener", and clearly expected me to
reduce my rates : Our relationship did not survive very long....
about 30 seconds!

Thats because those who can afford to pay want something for nothing , but
having said that they also pay their child minders less than their
gardeners.

I am an aircraft technician, due to the lack of thos jobs in my area I have
been working for £5/hr for the last six months through an agency and some of
those jobs have been paying me more than permanent staff. Ho hum!

Steve R
North Wilts

Old 21-12-2002, 09:02 PM
Simon G

When I was between jobs (i was a computer contractor), I cut grass, hedges,
and general tidying up. I charged £8 an hour. What customers didn't always
understand were the overheads. It was operated as a legit business, in that
I paid tax and national insurance. On top of this I paid for fuel in my
mower, van and petrol hedge cutters. This £8 didn't take into account wear
and tear and usually travelling between jobs.

If I was employing someone else I would be the employer so have to pay
employers NI and tax and could be charging VAT on top of that if my turn
over was high enough. Don't forget to add on third party liability, and
business rates for the premises that the business operates from, oh and
don't forget NPTC training courses to keep you up with the latest techniques
& legislation.

If I was a cowboy I wouldnt charge any of these, that's why their rates are
probably lower and they'll under cut you.

If you pay 4 quid an hour (I don't mean Steve R) - you get what you pay for.

Simon

PaulK scribbled:

Old 15-01-2004, 08:49 AM
Registered User

Location: Chessington Surrey

Quote:
Originally posted by PaulK
[...]

Whinge here about your garden! Chookie Australia 4 13-01-2004 04:02 AM
[IBC] Leylandii Cypress Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 0 09-02-2003 10:55 PM
Leylandii Cypress ss Bonsai 0 09-02-2003 09:25 PM
Very OT, was Whinge! Was Leylandii Janet Baraclough United Kingdom 0 20-12-2002 12:35 PM