Old 04-03-2005, 12:22 PM
jim

Default tomato seeds from tin

is it possible to grow tomato plants from seeds taken directly from a tin of
peeled plum tomatoes?

Old 04-03-2005, 12:36 PM
Tim Challenger

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 12:22:56 GMT, jim wrote:

is it possible to grow tomato plants from seeds taken directly from a tin of
peeled plum tomatoes?

I seriously doubt it. The tins would have been heated to 120C or more for
some time to kill any germs. It'll kill seed too.

--
Tim C.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:52 PM
davek

"jim" wrote in message
is it possible to grow tomato plants from seeds taken directly from a tin
of
peeled plum tomatoes?

Maybe not, but reminds me that sewage farms exhibit wondrous displays of
tomato plants every summer. Shows how indigistible the seeds are.
Davek.

Old 04-03-2005, 06:32 PM
Alan Gould

In article , jim
writes
is it possible to grow tomato plants from seeds taken directly from a tin of
peeled plum tomatoes?

Probably not, but why not try a few for interest? One thing you can be
certain of is that any resulting tomatoes will have peel on them.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:18 AM
Franz Heymann

"jim" wrote in message
is it possible to grow tomato plants from seeds taken directly from

a tin of
peeled plum tomatoes?

I doubt if the seeds would live through being immersed in a vat of
boiling tomatoes

Franz

Old 06-03-2005, 11:13 PM
doug

"davek" wrote in message

"jim" wrote in message
is it possible to grow tomato plants from seeds taken directly from a

tin
of
peeled plum tomatoes?

Maybe not, but reminds me that sewage farms exhibit wondrous displays of
tomato plants every summer. Shows how indigistible the seeds are.
Davek.

*******
My father, a keen gardener always averred that tomato seeds that have done
the journey through a gut, - a human gut preferably in his case, will
produce excellent tomatoes.
I have grown tomatoes all my life but haven't experimented in that fashion.
By the way, I believe "they" are trying bring find the and bring back the
old breeds that were known for their better sweetness.
Excluding the "cherry tomatoes". - which, in passing , I think have lost
their original sweetness and I believe this is maybe due to the factory
system culture which demands perfect shape and colour for supermarkets,
but it has been at the expense of sweetness and That breed has now a more
insipid taste .
Doug.

********

Old 06-03-2005, 11:25 PM
doug

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"jim" wrote in message
is it possible to grow tomato plants from seeds taken directly from

a tin of
peeled plum tomatoes?

I doubt if the seeds would live through being immersed in a vat of
boiling tomatoes

Franz

********
Quite so!.
Put crudely, - examine any seed. That seed has a little bit of it that
starts to germinate when the right season and the right conditions arrive.
I cannot see that vulnerable "little bit" surviving boiling heat.
Yet, - (second thoughts!), what about those plants that survive vast fires
every year!.
I suppose their condition is different, - those plants have a root mass
underneath them and probably don't need seeds. Or am I talking haywire?.
Doug.

********

Old 07-03-2005, 08:11 AM
Tim Challenger

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 23:25:22 -0000, doug wrote:

Yet, - (second thoughts!), what about those plants that survive vast fires
every year!.

They are plants that live in places where fire is common - and have evolved
mechanisms to survive. Tomatoes didn't originate in one of those areas -
the opposite in fact - and therefore are unlikely to be fireproof, or even
survive the 120C and high pressure of the caning process. Still, it's worth
a try.

I suppose their condition is different, - those plants have a root mass
underneath them and probably don't need seeds. Or am I talking haywire?.

No, you're thinking along the right lines. Any strategy that protects
enough germ matter (meristems) will do the trick. Some have deep roots or
bury the seeds to keep a bit away from the fire, some tough it out with
hard outer casings or bark. Some have specially modified enzymes and
proteins that resist or help repair heat damage inside cells.

--
Tim C.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:13 AM
jane

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 23:13:49 -0000, "doug"
wrote:

~
~"davek" wrote in message
~
~ ...
~*******
~My father, a keen gardener always averred that tomato seeds that have done
~the journey through a gut, - a human gut preferably in his case, will
~produce excellent tomatoes.
~I have grown tomatoes all my life but haven't experimented in that fashion.
~By the way, I believe "they" are trying bring find the and bring back the
~old breeds that were known for their better sweetness.
~ Excluding the "cherry tomatoes". - which, in passing , I think have lost
~their original sweetness and I believe this is maybe due to the factory
~system culture which demands perfect shape and colour for supermarkets,
~but it has been at the expense of sweetness and That breed has now a more
~insipid taste .
~Doug.
~
The latest issue of The Garden has a report on the trial of plum
tomatoes held at Wisley last summer. It gives information on how they
grew the plants, when sown and the results including tasting notes, on
both conventional sized and cherry plum varieties.

Unfortunately it's not one of the articles they've put online this
month (though there's anice one on propagation), but they gave 10
varieties out of 40 the AGM.
Santa, the cherry plum most commonly sold in supermarkets, didn't get
one as it was deemed to be inferior tastewise and in the skin's
toughness. So there are better ones around that the factory growing
people haven't found yet...

Ildi, a yellow cherry plum, grew a staggering 2700 tomatoes on four
cordon plants!! (Might have to get some of those... T&M sell them)

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 07-03-2005, 01:10 PM
Kay

In article , doug
writes

Quite so!.
Put crudely, - examine any seed. That seed has a little bit of it that
starts to germinate when the right season and the right conditions arrive.
I cannot see that vulnerable "little bit" surviving boiling heat.
Yet, - (second thoughts!), what about those plants that survive vast fires
every year!.
I suppose their condition is different, - those plants have a root mass
underneath them and probably don't need seeds. Or am I talking haywire?.

You are failing to take into account evolution to suit circumstances!

In general, the plants that have survived are those which have most
successful produced offspring. In some cases, this means vegetative
reproduction as the prime means - the plants that spread mainly by roots
or by runners. In other cases, it is by seed, and in this case the plant
has to produce seeds which are able to grow. This means, generally, that
the see has to have enough food stored till the seedling can grow its
own, enough water, and enough light. Which of these is the overwhelming
need depends on the habitat.

Tomatoes, IIRC, are S American - food and water is not an overwhelming
problem, but they do need to be dispersed, so they are wrapped in an
edible fruit to encourage dispersion by animals. Fire is not an
occupational hazard for them, so they are unlikely to endure heat.

Some of the australian things need light, and are in areas swept by
fires, so the obvious time to germinate is just after a fire, when the
ground is nice and clear. So by wrapping the seed in a hard, thick
shell, the plant ensures the seed will survive the fire, and is probably
cracked open by it, so that it germinates just after the fire - or
perhaps after the first rains since the fire, when the water has managed
to get inside for the first time.

Poppies and similar 'cornfield' flowers need absence of competition, so
germination of their seeds is triggered by light - they will survive
underground for years, but germinate only when they've been brought to
the surface by the sort of disturbance that makes it likely that they'll
have a bit of clear ground to grow in.

Peas and beans often tend to climb towards the light, so have big beefy
seeds with good foodstores to give them a good start.
--
Kay

Old 07-03-2005, 03:57 PM
Pam Moore

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 12:22:56 GMT, "jim" wrote:

is it possible to grow tomato plants from seeds taken directly from a tin of
peeled plum tomatoes?

I doubt it, but I grew plants from seed from sun-dried toms, and have
not bought tomato seed for some years. I just save seed from tasty
toms.

Pam in Bristol
Old 07-03-2005, 06:44 PM
Mike Lyle

Pam Moore wrote:
On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 12:22:56 GMT, "jim" wrote:

is it possible to grow tomato plants from seeds taken directly

from
a tin of peeled plum tomatoes?

I doubt it, but I grew plants from seed from sun-dried toms, and

have
not bought tomato seed for some years. I just save seed from tasty
toms.

Geoffrey Smith says peach-stones generally survive the canning
process, and will grow pretty true to type. I'd be amazed if a tomato
seed did, though -- and would be rather worried about the safety of a
tin of tomatoes whose seeds were still viable, as it would suggest
the contents hadn't been properly heat-treated.

Mike.

Old 07-03-2005, 10:32 PM
Pam Moore

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 06:34:47 +0100, Magwitch wrote:

doug muttered:

"davek" wrote in message

"jim" wrote in message
[...]

My father (now 86) was a Japanese POW on the Burma-Siam railway. In the 4
years of captivity, they only received one Red Cross parcel as the Japs
withheld them (they discovered shed-fulls of RC food and medical supplies in
the camp when the Japs surrendered). He had a choice of either a can of
peaches or one of tomatoes.

Although sorely tempted by the peaches, he chose the tomatoes as he thought
he'd try to grow any seeds, everyone was very doubtful and didn't think
they'd grow, but in the hot humid climate they all germinated and flourished
so the camp got a good source of vitamins. The first thing he did on
arriving at another camp was plant the tomato seeds - earning him the
nickname, 'Tomato Lucas'. He still grows wonderful tomatoes to this day, in
addition to maintaining his 3 acre garden.

Wonderful story

Pam in Bristol

Old 10-03-2005, 03:13 PM
Tim Challenger

On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 15:02:03 +0000, Sue Begg wrote:

In message , Pam Moore
writes
[...]

Been reading this newsgroup for a long time and simply had to add my
fourpennyworth to this one.
Last year, a few months after a family party I discovered an onion
growing on the compost heap. Nothing unusual in that except that the
bulb was a PICKLED silverskin onion out of a jar. I would have expected
the vinegar to kill any germ of growth in it.
Unfortunately it got thrown away before I thought to take photographs.
Although without 'smellyvision' there would be no way to detect the
vinegar anyway I suppose.

LOL!

Originally of course pickling was designed to keep things from going bad,
and they used to cook the food longer and use a stronger vinegar. Nowadays,
we tend to pickle things for the flavour and weaker vinegar is used, hence
the short use-by dates on pickled onions.

--
Tim C.

Seeds, Seeds, Seeds Kimberly Edible Gardening 8 03-01-2007 05:37 PM
tin cans [email protected] Gardening 2 13-06-2005 01:17 PM
Help, Tin Foil Barbs not eating mosquitos fish... Wendy Kelly Budd Ponds 2 22-08-2003 08:02 PM
Tomato cages ( was Best place to buy tomato plants, etc.) Karen Texas 7 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Tomato cages ( was Best place to buy tomato plants, etc.) Karen Texas 7 11-03-2003 02:09 PM