Old 03-01-2003, 09:45 PM
H.Monk

Default Herbaceous Paeonia - advice please

When I moved, I left behind all my shrub paeonias behind, I suppose I will
spend a small fortune this Spring at the nurseries.
However, I notice in my seed cats, some herbaceous types, i.e.
p.mlokosewitschii, p.officinalis, p.cambessedesii and p.tenuifolia etc. It
does not say whether to expect flowers in the first season.
Has anyone had experience with these or similar. I live in Cornwall, approx
6 miles inland.
Thanks .......... Paul

Old 04-01-2003, 12:46 AM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

The message
from "H.Monk" contains these words:

When I moved, I left behind all my shrub paeonias behind, I suppose I will
spend a small fortune this Spring at the nurseries.
However, I notice in my seed cats, some herbaceous types, i.e.
p.mlokosewitschii, p.officinalis, p.cambessedesii and p.tenuifolia etc. It
does not say whether to expect flowers in the first season.

Not quite that easy I'm afraid. They'll take at least a year and
sometimes up to three years to germinate, depending on how fresh the
seed is. They will then take four or five further years to reach
flowering size.
I guess this explins why bthey're niot the cheapest plants to buy.

Janet G

Old 04-01-2003, 05:38 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Fri, 3 Jan 2003 21:45:11 -0000, "H.Monk"
wrote:

However, I notice in my seed cats, some herbaceous types, i.e.
p.mlokosewitschii, p.officinalis, p.cambessedesii and p.tenuifolia etc. It
does not say whether to expect flowers in the first season.
Has anyone had experience with these or similar. I live in Cornwall, approx
6 miles inland.

Species peonies take five to ten years to reach flowering size
after germination. They mature more quickly if planted out rather
than kept in pots, once they have put on enough growth to survive
the rough and tumble of the garden.

Admittedly, they are beautiful things, but they are all singles
and their flowers are quite fleeting. You'd best think of them as
being an entirely different category from the big hybrid
cultivars usually grown.

I suggest you put your family on a diet of cold water and stale
bread. Tell them it is healthy, and a good way to start the New
Year by letting the body purge itself of toxins. Or some similar
fairy tale. In a short time, this will free up sufficient funds
to buy the cultivars you really want.

P. cambessedesii is fairly tender; it might do rather well in the
mild Cornish climate. Its flowers are scented of cloves. A
delightful plant, unfortunately slightly too tender for me.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

paeonia Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 20 20-11-2010 12:10 AM
Paeonia officinalis e+d[_2_] Garden Photos 0 02-05-2009 10:47 AM
Paeonia & Friends - 20082342.jpg John - Pa. Garden Photos 0 24-05-2008 11:57 PM
Paeonia ludlowii seeds Aphodius United Kingdom 4 19-12-2003 03:35 PM
Suggestions for big herbaceous plants from seed Gareth Jones United Kingdom 7 27-05-2003 10:44 AM