Old 16-11-2010, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default paeonia

Recently had to rescue a lot of plants from a garden in Hockliffe as
owners don't want responsibility of an ex owner's (very keen gardener)
plants. Many obviously grown from seed from Khazakstan and Russia Turkey
and New Zealand.
We couldn't read some plant labels (They had taken some of the geraniums
with them as they once held a national collection)
Anyway I have this one label of a plant we dug up which looks like
Paeony Ancluvita. Anyone have a stab at an id of this for us please?
On the reverse of the label is JH1745 Kazakstan

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association
Old 17-11-2010, 11:07 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Tweedy View Post
Paeony Ancluvita. Anyone have a stab at an id of this for us please?
On the reverse of the label is JH1745 Kazakstan

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association
Amersham Gardening Association/2
I have taken the liberty of posting this number on the Alpine Garden Society id page to see if anyone there can help.
Old 17-11-2010, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
Recently had to rescue a lot of plants from a garden in Hockliffe as
owners don't want responsibility of an ex owner's (very keen gardener)
plants. Many obviously grown from seed from Khazakstan and Russia
Turkey and New Zealand.
We couldn't read some plant labels (They had taken some of the
geraniums with them as they once held a national collection)
Anyway I have this one label of a plant we dug up which looks like
Paeony Ancluvita. Anyone have a stab at an id of this for us please?

Perhaps a photograph of the label might help.

On the reverse of the label is JH1745 Kazakstan

If that is a collection number it should be sufficient to identify the
plant, but it's not coming up on Google.

The Paeony Society may be able to help (http://www.paeonia.org/).

Janet

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 17-11-2010, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ragnar" wrote ..
"Janet Tweedy" wrote
Recently had to rescue a lot of plants from a garden in Hockliffe as
owners don't want responsibility of an ex owner's (very keen gardener)
plants. Many obviously grown from seed from Khazakstan and Russia Turkey
and New Zealand.
We couldn't read some plant labels (They had taken some of the geraniums
with them as they once held a national collection)
Anyway I have this one label of a plant we dug up which looks like Paeony
Ancluvita. Anyone have a stab at an id of this for us please?
On the reverse of the label is JH1745 Kazakstan

Possible misreadings of abchasica, arietina, lactiflora or obovata?

JH ? Could that be Joseph Hooker? Did he ever get to Kazakhstan?
Just thinking aloud.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 17-11-2010, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Owdboggy
writes
I have taken the liberty of posting this number on the Alpine Garden
Society id page to see if anyone there can help.

Thanks, though judging by the other plants in the garden it will be
fairly large though def. not a tree paeony.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 17-11-2010, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
Perhaps a photograph of the label might help.

Does this help?

http://www.amersham-gardening.net/aga/gallery.html
Old 17-11-2010, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Ragnar
writes
Possible misreadings of abchasica, arietina, lactiflora or obovata?
HTH
R.

Don't think so thank you as there was four of us trying to read it and
we knew most of those anyway and lactiflora and obovata we had already
found.

Janet
Old 17-11-2010, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bob Hobden
writes
Possible misreadings of abchasica, arietina, lactiflora or obovata?

JH ? Could that be Joseph Hooker? Did he ever get to Kazakhstan?
Just thinking aloud.

I believe the original gardener was a keen collector by the look of the
other labels and he did have one of the national collections of
geraniums there as well. Some labels actually said "seed from....."

Janet
Old 17-11-2010, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
Perhaps a photograph of the label might help.

Does this help?

http://www.amersham-gardening.net/aga/gallery.html

The label looks fairly unambiguous - so any mangling of the name
occurred before the label was interred, rather than after it was
disinterred. I've looked in IPNI, and there's no published name close in
spelling to ancluvita, so unfortunately it doesn't help.

It might be worth checking the print version of PlantFinder (59 pages of
results on the web version is a bit cumbersome), but if that's a
collector's number one presumes it's a species and not a cultivar.

The presumed collector's number could be JH1945 rather than JH1745. The
former might just indicate the source (e.g. nursery) and date.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 17-11-2010, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
The label looks fairly unambiguous - so any mangling of the name
occurred before the label was interred, rather than after it was
disinterred. I've looked in IPNI, and there's no published name close
in spelling to ancluvita, so unfortunately it doesn't help.

It might be worth checking the print version of PlantFinder (59 pages
of results on the web version is a bit cumbersome), but if that's a
collector's number one presumes it's a species and not a cultivar.

The presumed collector's number could be JH1945 rather than JH1745.
The former might just indicate the source (e.g. nursery) and date.

Thanks Stewart

Is it possible to contact the previous owner?
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 17-11-2010, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message

)
Anyway I have this one label of a plant we dug up which looks like Paeony
Ancluvita. Anyone have a stab at an id of this for us please?
On the reverse of the label is JH1745 Kazakstan

From looking at the pic you posted, I'd also consider the possibility that
the label said JH1945 Kazakstan.

Old 19-11-2010, 10:36 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Tweedy View Post
Recently had to rescue a lot of plants from a garden in Hockliffe as
owners don't want responsibility of an ex owner's (very keen gardener)
plants. Many obviously grown from seed from Khazakstan and Russia Turkey
and New Zealand.
We couldn't read some plant labels (They had taken some of the geraniums
with them as they once held a national collection)
Anyway I have this one label of a plant we dug up which looks like
Paeony Ancluvita. Anyone have a stab at an id of this for us please?
On the reverse of the label is JH1745 Kazakstan

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association
Amersham Gardening Association/2
On the RHS website, I searched for collectors and got the up to date list:
https://www.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantfinde...References.pdf

Noted a certain JH in the listing was Halda, J.
Surfed on "halda paeonia" and got this:
Paeonia by Josef Halda With James Waddick
Although species of Paeonia are found in the wild throughout the northern Hemisphere, they are mainly associated
with Asia and Asian gardens.Josef Halda is one of the few botanists who have travelled to see every known peony species and subspecies in the wild, often in extremely remote areas
Josef J. Halda
I suspect you might find that plant in his book The Genus Paeonia
Old 19-11-2010, 10:41 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owdboggy View Post
On the RHS website, I searched for collectors and got the up to date list:
https://www.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantfinde...References.pdf

Noted a certain JH in the listing was Halda, J.
Surfed on "halda paeonia" and got this:
Paeonia by Josef Halda With James Waddick
Although species of Paeonia are found in the wild throughout the northern Hemisphere, they are mainly associated
with Asia and Asian gardens.Josef Halda is one of the few botanists who have travelled to see every known peony species and subspecies in the wild, often in extremely remote areas
Josef J. Halda
I suspect you might find that plant in his book The Genus Paeonia
I have just had a look through my copy of this book and there is no mention of either a Paeony under this name nor Kazakhstan. Nearest name is P. anomala.