Old 08-03-2005, 08:29 AM
Broadback

Default Pebblesl for paths

I am about to make quite a lot of path round my raised beds. I intend
laying weed suppressing fabric then pebbles on top. Apart from being
clear for walking it will (I trust) stop the weeds from the area
surrounding the beds migrating into the beds themselves. However
pebbles specifically for paths seems to me rather expensive, can I use
ordinary builders pebbles successfully? Also any ideas on quantity
required, for, say, a square meter?

TIA
--
Please do not email me at
All emails to that address are automatically

Old 08-03-2005, 11:55 AM
peterlsutton

"Broadback" wrote in message
I am about to make quite a lot of path round my raised beds. I intend
laying weed suppressing fabric then pebbles on top. Apart from being
clear for walking it will (I trust) stop the weeds from the area
surrounding the beds migrating into the beds themselves. However
pebbles specifically for paths seems to me rather expensive, can I use
ordinary builders pebbles successfully? Also any ideas on quantity
required, for, say, a square meter?

Yes you can, its excellent. I went through this exercise a couple of years
ago. Builders usually supply 10 mm gravel for adding to concrete and a
larger 20 mm gravel. You will probably want the larger, but go and have a
look. You can buy it by the ton, which is not as much as it sounds. It
comes in a non returnable bag (big!) and should be delivered free if you are
not too far away. The cost will be £26 or just over. They do not weigh it,
a ton is just a big scoop by an excavator, so it is a bit variable. It is
probably about half a cubic meter, so you will get roughly 10 sq meters of
5cms depth (2"). It does not go as far as you think. I needed three tons
for an open area, I bought an initial single ton just to see how far it
would go. Ask at the yard, they will probably sell and deliver any amount
loose from half a ton.

I am very pleased with it. It is so much cheaper than buying by the bag and
it looks very good. An additional reason for this choice was that having a
fancy coloured gravel is like having a plain carpet. If you get leaves,
soil or loose stones on it, it will show up like a sore thumb. By contrast
the builders gravel is mottled and does not show.

Best of luck

Peter

Old 08-03-2005, 12:45 PM
andrewpreece

"peterlsutton" wrote in message

"Broadback" wrote in message
I am about to make quite a lot of path round my raised beds. I intend
laying weed suppressing fabric then pebbles on top. Apart from being
clear for walking it will (I trust) stop the weeds from the area
surrounding the beds migrating into the beds themselves. However
pebbles specifically for paths seems to me rather expensive, can I use
ordinary builders pebbles successfully? Also any ideas on quantity
required, for, say, a square meter?

The bags of gravel they sell at Garden centres are very expensive. If you
want a
lot get a 1 ton dumy from a builders' merchant as suggested. Otherwise, some
of
the DIY chains like Wickes sell 20K bags of gravel for more reasonable
prices.
Try not to get graded gracel like pea-gravel, at least for near the house,
since
the sub-10mm stuff is picked up on your shoes and transported. Also, I would
be
careful of laying gravel very deep, as cats seem to like it as kitty litter,
at least if it
isn't too big. I laid gravel on clay soil directly, which stabilises it: I
get a few weeds,
but constant traffic keeps the main part of the path clear, and the
occasional violet
or what-have-you sprouting at the edge can look rustic.

Andy.

Old 08-03-2005, 12:57 PM
jane

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 11:55:30 GMT, "peterlsutton"
wrote:

~
~"Broadback" wrote in message
[...]
You are obviously both lucky enough to have stone-free soil! I am
filling up my paths with flints sieved from the beds as I pick over
them - so gradually I'm getting nicer soil and free paths as well. But
it takes forever...

Good luck from me, too.
--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 08-03-2005, 02:02 PM
Tumbleweed

"Broadback" wrote in message
[...]

This is sound advice. We did exactly the same. I use the 10mm around the
ponds and beds as mulch and 20mm for paths around the beds. Once it is
rinsed it looks just great. Bagged aggregate from DIY centres is a huge
rip-off.
The "Hag Bag" that it's delivered in makes a useful compost bin since it
both contain the compost yet drains and breathes a little. We also use them
to make leaf mould and collect horse muck from the local stables. (In a
trailer, not the car ;o) )

Old 08-03-2005, 04:16 PM
JennyC

"Broadback" wrote in message
I am about to make quite a lot of path round my raised beds. I intend
laying weed suppressing fabric then pebbles on top. Apart from being
clear for walking it will (I trust) stop the weeds from the area
surrounding the beds migrating into the beds themselves. However
pebbles specifically for paths seems to me rather expensive, can I use
ordinary builders pebbles successfully? Also any ideas on quantity
required, for, say, a square meter?

TIA

All good suggestions from the group.

You will find however that a few weeds will grow in the gravel. Earth somehow
always filters into it and seeds will root. They are easy to remove though. I
use a hoe to rake my gravel over, especially effective on hot days :~)

Jenny

Weeds on paths / rockeries bendonald@hotma Gardening 0 28-03-2006 08:56 AM
Moss on paths Sally Holmes United Kingdom 3 16-11-2005 02:07 PM
Garden paths Hans L Gardening 16 30-07-2004 04:47 AM
RFI: Options for paths in my garden Andyd Texas 12 22-04-2004 05:04 AM
Hoggin paths - source of raw materials? PRIORPARK17 United Kingdom 3 19-04-2003 12:20 AM