Old 11-03-2005, 07:14 PM
Kay

In article ,
Rhiannon Macfie Miller writes
I'm not really used to my driveway yet. I snapped off two
of the three strong stems at ground level.

Is there any hope?

The remaining stem will be OK, and the other two may throw up new
shoots. If you can get at it, prune the break smooth, to stop disease.
Don't know if it helps, but it's what I would do.

And cut the broken stems into 6 inch pieces, making each bottom cut just
below a bud, and tick them all into a pot of soil. There is a remote
chance that one of them may root. It's a very remote chance, but you
never know.
--
Kay

Old 12-03-2005, 08:42 PM
Magwitch

Kay muttered:

In article ,
Rhiannon Macfie Miller writes
I'm not really used to my driveway yet. I snapped off two
of the three strong stems at ground level.

Is there any hope?

The remaining stem will be OK, and the other two may throw up new
shoots. If you can get at it, prune the break smooth, to stop disease.
Don't know if it helps, but it's what I would do.

And cut the broken stems into 6 inch pieces, making each bottom cut just
below a bud, and tick them all into a pot of soil. There is a remote
chance that one of them may root. It's a very remote chance, but you
never know.

I broke off a shoot of Glenfiddich last year and did the above and I've now
got a new rose... do I get a prize?

Old 12-03-2005, 10:52 AM
Kay

In article , Magwitch writes
Kay muttered:

And cut the broken stems into 6 inch pieces, making each bottom cut just
below a bud, and tick them all into a pot of soil. There is a remote
chance that one of them may root. It's a very remote chance, but you
never know.

I broke off a shoot of Glenfiddich last year and did the above and I've now
got a new rose... do I get a prize?

I was being very hesitant about chance of success because it's not the
right time of year for cuttings, and I wasn't sure whether there was any
chance of success if the cutting didn't have at least a bit of leaf.

When did you do yours? If it was this time of year, then that means
Rhiannon has a better chance of getting something to strike.
--
Kay

Old 15-03-2005, 12:22 PM
Magwitch

Kay muttered:

In article , Magwitch writes
Kay muttered:

And cut the broken stems into 6 inch pieces, making each bottom cut just
below a bud, and tick them all into a pot of soil. There is a remote
chance that one of them may root. It's a very remote chance, but you
never know.

I broke off a shoot of Glenfiddich last year and did the above and I've now
got a new rose... do I get a prize?

I was being very hesitant about chance of success because it's not the
right time of year for cuttings, and I wasn't sure whether there was any
chance of success if the cutting didn't have at least a bit of leaf.

When did you do yours? If it was this time of year, then that means
Rhiannon has a better chance of getting something to strike.

I think it must have been early or mid summer during one of my infrequent
weeding blitzes on the docks and bindweed.

Old 15-03-2005, 05:24 PM
Kay

In article , Magwitch writes
Kay muttered:

In article , Magwitch writes
Kay muttered:

And cut the broken stems into 6 inch pieces, making each bottom cut just
below a bud, and tick them all into a pot of soil. There is a remote
chance that one of them may root. It's a very remote chance, but you
never know.

I broke off a shoot of Glenfiddich last year and did the above and I've now
got a new rose... do I get a prize?

I was being very hesitant about chance of success because it's not the
right time of year for cuttings, and I wasn't sure whether there was any
chance of success if the cutting didn't have at least a bit of leaf.

When did you do yours? If it was this time of year, then that means
Rhiannon has a better chance of getting something to strike.

I think it must have been early or mid summer during one of my infrequent
weeding blitzes on the docks and bindweed.

Yes, that would make all the difference - they'd have been in leaf. They
strike easily at that time of year. I just don't know about now.

--
Kay

rosebush has pest - what is it? link to photo someone_else United Kingdom 0 25-07-2008 06:49 PM
Regional rosebush pruning time variations ? Uncle-C United Kingdom 0 22-02-2006 01:59 PM
hearty rosebush KrisW Roses 1 21-09-2003 10:43 PM
Parched rosebush NBeckm1186 United Kingdom 0 29-06-2003 10:21 PM
Starting a new climbing rosebush Rose Roses 38 19-06-2003 02:20 PM