Old 17-03-2005, 06:46 PM
VX

Default Houseplant for low light?

I'd really like to find a plant that will be happy on my bathroom windowsill.
The bathroom window is itself inside a conservatory (added later I assume)
and is set back from the rest of the wall of the building and is usually in
the shadow of part of the building that projects more. Consequently it is
only now starting to get direct sunlight. The darker portion of the year the
sun is in the wrong position (I know- its the Earth that's in the wrong
position) and it only gets diffuse light, and not that much of it. I can't
help thinking there must be some plants that like the more shaded areas and
would actually enjoy this location. Any suggestions welcomed!

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)

Old 17-03-2005, 09:09 PM
Mike Lyle

VX wrote:
I'd really like to find a plant that will be happy on my bathroom
windowsill. The bathroom window is itself inside a conservatory
(added later I assume) and is set back from the rest of the wall of
the building and is usually in the shadow of part of the building
that projects more. Consequently it is only now starting to get
direct sunlight. The darker portion of the year the sun is in the
wrong position (I know- its the Earth that's in the wrong position)
and it only gets diffuse light, and not that much of it. I can't

help
thinking there must be some plants that like the more shaded areas
and would actually enjoy this location. Any suggestions welcomed!

Hessayon's _House Plant Expert_ gives a helpful series of diagrams of
possible lighting conditions tolerated by various plants. It's too
much to copy out here, but the book is very interesting, and I don't
disagree with it very often; it only costs as much as a
moderately-priced plant, so you might find it worth getting (mine was
actually only a quid from a charity shop).

My own very low-light plants (no direct sunlight at all) a ivies,
umbrella plants, scindapsus, begonia rex, spathiphyllum, and a little
ficus pumila I killed earlier this year by sheer incompetence. I'm
trying a croton (codiaeum) there at present. In a north window are a
rubber plant, another umbrella plant, and a boring kangaroo vine. My
small loo window faces east, and is home to a pelargonium which has
flowered all this winter, though it's too leggy to win any
competition; in the bathroom are a pelargonium, two begonias, and the
inevitable spider-plant. Your bathroom spot should be good for
African violets (but I ruined the last ones I had, so why listen to
me?).

Mike.

Old 18-03-2005, 06:18 AM
JennyC

"VX" wrote in message
s.com...
I'd really like to find a plant that will be happy on my bathroom windowsill.
The bathroom window is itself inside a conservatory (added later I assume)
and is set back from the rest of the wall of the building and is usually in
the shadow of part of the building that projects more. Consequently it is
only now starting to get direct sunlight. The darker portion of the year the
sun is in the wrong position (I know- its the Earth that's in the wrong
position) and it only gets diffuse light, and not that much of it. I can't
help thinking there must be some plants that like the more shaded areas and
would actually enjoy this location. Any suggestions welcomed!
VX (remove alcohol for email)

Aspidestra :~)
Mine stnads in the dark in a draughty palce and loves it
Jenny

Old 19-03-2005, 01:38 PM
VX

Thanks for the suggestions. I've ordered that book. (What on earth did I do
before Amazon Marketplace?).

I've also ordered the book that was mentioned in another thread- er, re
plants that clean the air indoors. Now I seem to have chlorophytum on both
lists, ie can stand lower light levels AND cleans the air. With any luck I'll
find a few more that have both attributes.

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)

Old 20-03-2005, 08:24 PM
Duncan

"VX" wrote in message
s.com...
Thanks for the suggestions. I've ordered that book. (What on earth did I

do
before Amazon Marketplace?).

I've also ordered the book that was mentioned in another thread- er, re
plants that clean the air indoors. Now I seem to have chlorophytum on both
lists, ie can stand lower light levels AND cleans the air. With any luck

I'll
find a few more that have both attributes.

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)

How true is this "plants cleaning the air" idea?

I was at a lecture by a bone marrow transplant doc last week, who was
describing how the spore count of Apergillus fumigatus in the air around his
patients soared when potted plants were brought into the ward - something to
worry about if your immune system isn't up to it.

Duncan