Old 18-03-2005, 06:49 PM
Simon

Default Question - Feeding Rhodedendrons

I have two established Rhododendrons in a sheltered position, one
flowers red,one white. Both had a large mass of buds last year but only
the white bush flowered. As previous years were successful i put last
year down to dry weather conditions and lack of feeding and watering .

These plants are in a remote part of my garden and i noticed today buds
appearing on both bushes. I bought some liquid Erricacous feed and
thinking about how often this feed should be given.Should I also provide
regular watering with ordinary rainwater if we are now in a dry spell ?

(My main concern is the possibility of over watering/feeding).

Can anyone advise please ?

Simon.

Old 19-03-2005, 04:40 PM
Chris Hogg

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 18:49:00 +0000, Simon @ wrote:

I have two established Rhododendrons in a sheltered position, one
flowers red,one white. Both had a large mass of buds last year but only
the white bush flowered. As previous years were successful i put last
year down to dry weather conditions and lack of feeding and watering .

These plants are in a remote part of my garden and i noticed today buds
appearing on both bushes. I bought some liquid Erricacous feed and
thinking about how often this feed should be given.Should I also provide
regular watering with ordinary rainwater if we are now in a dry spell ?

(My main concern is the possibility of over watering/feeding).

Can anyone advise please ?

Simon.

Follow the instructions on the bottle of feed for dilution, etc.

I don't have any rhodies in this garden, but in a previous garden I
used sulphate of ammonia, one heaped dessert spoon per large watering
can (say two gallons) per established plant, applied in early May and
again six weeks or so later in mid June, and then a feed of potassium
sulphate at similar strength in mid July.

Rhododendrons make their flower buds in late summer for the following
year, and the potash feed encourages this. Sulphate of ammonia
provides nitrogen for growth during the summer, but you don't want to
encourage late growth into autumn as you risk it being frost damaged
later on. Hence no application after June.

Yes, they should be watered in dry weather, especially during summer
and when the flower buds are forming. These may abort if the plants
get dry. As you say, use rain water rather than tap water, as many
water companies add lime to the water supply these days, and rhodies
don't like lime. Alternatively, if you don't have a water butt, half a
teaspoon of vinegar (no more) into the watering-can will acidify the
tap water slightly. If the plants are growing in the soil, i.e. not in
pots, it's unlikely you'll be able to over-water them, but once a week
in dry weather should be enough. Give then at least one large
watering-can full each. If the water tends just to run off the root
mound, a touch of washing-up liquid into the watering-can may help it
wet the soil and soak in.

A mulch of leaf mould or coarse peat or coarse compost over the roots
will help the soil to retain moisture in the summer, but make sure
there's not much soil in whatever mulch you do use, otherwise the
roots will become buried and will suffocate. Rhodies are shallow
rooting, and their roots like to be near the surface and able to
breathe.

--
Chris

Old 19-03-2005, 06:29 PM
Simon

Thanks Chris for the info, Rhododendrons.

Simon