Old 12-01-2003, 11:43 PM
Ian Hayman

Default Ricinus

I may have missed all the inevitable Ricinis posts. I still have one (the
red version), abeit a bit dead, in the garden. What sort of care should I
take in getting rid of it. Is it still safe to handle, can it be composted
etc.

Thanks
Ian

Old 12-01-2003, 11:54 PM
PaulK

"Ian Hayman" wrote in message
I may have missed all the inevitable Ricinis posts. I still have one (the
red version), abeit a bit dead, in the garden. What sort of care should I
take in getting rid of it. Is it still safe to handle, can it be composted
etc.

My understanding is that it is the seed 'skin' that is the source of the
ricin.

pk

Old 13-01-2003, 06:48 AM
JennyC

"Ian Hayman" wrote in message
I may have missed all the inevitable Ricinis posts. I still have one

(the
red version), abeit a bit dead, in the garden. What sort of care

should I
take in getting rid of it. Is it still safe to handle, can it be

composted
etc.

Thanks Ian

Ricin is a toxic chemical that is extracted from the seeds of the
castor oil plant.
Don’t people take castor oil as a medicine?
Yes, but there is no ricin in castor oil: it is destroyed during the
oil production process.

The plant itself is safe to handle :~)

Jenny

Old 13-01-2003, 09:52 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
PaulK wrote:

"Ian Hayman" wrote in message
I may have missed all the inevitable Ricinis posts. I still have one (the
red version), abeit a bit dead, in the garden. What sort of care should I
take in getting rid of it. Is it still safe to handle, can it be composted
etc.

My understanding is that it is the seed 'skin' that is the source of the
ricin.

There is probably ricin in most parts, but it is extracted from the
body of the seed (not the skin). It will almost certainly break
down pretty rapidly in compost.

These plants are widely grown and have been for years, and there are
few problems. Ignore the panic, but don't be stupid enough to eat
any part of them.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679
Old 13-01-2003, 10:34 AM
Martin Brown

JennyC wrote:

"Ian Hayman" wrote in message
I may have missed all the inevitable Ricinis posts. I still have one

(the
red version), abeit a bit dead, in the garden. What sort of care

should I
take in getting rid of it. Is it still safe to handle, can it be

composted
etc.

Wash your hands afterwards and don't eat or drink while handling it. These
should be fairly normal precautions when gardening anyway. Lots of plants
are toxic - very few make the headlines.

Ricin is a toxic chemical that is extracted from the seeds of the castor
oil plant.
Don’t people take castor oil as a medicine?
Yes, but there is no ricin in castor oil: it is destroyed during the
oil production process.

The oil is completely separated from the pulp that contains the ricin
toxin.

The plant itself is safe to handle :~)

All plant parts contain some trace ricin but the seeds are by far the most
heavily defended part. The leaves and stems contain enough to kill any
aphid that tries sap sucking stone dead within 24 hours.

But unless you are dumb enough to eat it or otherwise ingest it you are
not in any danger.

The bronze metallic red cultivars make very striking border plants. Be a
shame if this latest scare causes them to be no longer grown as
ornamentals. Not a good plant to grow near small children.
(but very popular in continental municipal plantings none the less)

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 13-01-2003, 10:55 AM
PaulK

"Martin Brown" wrote in message

The bronze metallic red cultivars make very striking border plants. Be a
shame if this latest scare causes them to be no longer grown as
ornamentals. Not a good plant to grow near small children.
(but very popular in continental municipal plantings none the less)

In the UK too!

I have seen in many times in Merton parks

pk

Old 14-01-2003, 05:52 AM
Derryl Killan

The Gardens at the Calgary, Alberta Zoo grow some beautiful Castor Beans.
They are near the back of the flower beds.

Derryl

I may have missed all the inevitable Ricinis posts. I still have one (the
red version), abeit a bit dead, in the garden. What sort of care should I
take in getting rid of it. Is it still safe to handle, can it be composted
etc.

Thanks
Ian

Probably stupid questions about Ricinus communis Ornata United Kingdom 0 09-05-2006 12:01 PM
Ricinus Gilly United Kingdom 8 03-09-2005 06:56 PM
Ricinus South Wales Evening post. Oh dear Neil Jones United Kingdom 14 16-01-2003 06:41 AM
OT Was Ricinus South Wales Evening post. Oh dear PaulK United Kingdom 11 16-01-2003 05:30 AM
Democracy, was Ricinus South Wales Evening post. Oh dear Rhiannon Macfie Miller United Kingdom 0 15-01-2003 04:59 PM