Old 26-03-2005, 10:35 AM
JennyC

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

Found you a couple more useful sites:

USAUK gardening !
http://www.gardeningcd.com/Adapt/adaptPg21.htm

Useful???????????????????????????

Perhpas 'interesting' would have been a better word :~))
Jenny

.Here's a taster of what that American site says about gardening in the UK:,

"they don't have to contend with deer, rabbits, squirrels, moles, (snip)

"In the 1960's, Miximitosis broke out in England. Rabbits are the
victims. To kill the disease, the countryside was sprayed liberally with
DDT, which not only killed off practically all the wild rabbit
population, but also much of the wildlife and wildflowers. (snip)

In the UK (again generalizing), winter temperatures rarely drop below
32ºF, summer temperatures average 75ºF "
:-O
Janet.

Old 26-03-2005, 12:30 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

They get some bizarre ideas over there.

That could possibly be related to duff guff handed out by Brits in
uk newsgroups.
Such as (British weather) "can be anything from arctic to tropical,
and our gardens can be anything from desert to swamp".

Sigh, yes :-(

Hyperbole is one thing, but that is round the bend. As someone who
has a clue what the real tropics, real swamps and real deserts are
like, the claims that the USA has them make me laugh (all right,
they have real swamps). But claims that the UK has them make me
despair, because they are so far beyond the conception of people
who know only the UK that it is impossible to explain.

All right, reedbeds and estuarine marshes are swamps, of a sort,
but we have tiny areas, effectively nobody lives in them, and we
have no examples of most of the wooded types of swampland.

We DO get up to arctic conditions, but nobody gardens there. Some
people garden in (warm winter) sub-arctic conditions, with immense
difficulty, so I will pass the "arctic" claim as mere hyperbole.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.