Old 24-03-2005, 05:29 PM

Phil,

Living in a massive place like America I suppose you assume Britain is

similarly huge?....

Oh no.. I know better! I went on holiday over Christmas there a few
years ago... LOVED it! I thought "How cool is it to watch the sun rise
and set in the sea in the same day!" hee!hee! ;o)

Erin

Old 24-03-2005, 05:42 PM
JennyC

"JennyC" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello to all!
I'm new to this site .........

snipped
I'd appreciate all your help!
Erin

Hi Erin,

Found you a couple more useful sites:

USAUK gardening !
http://www.gardeningcd.com/Adapt/adaptPg21.htm

Plant hardiness in the UK: http://www.jungleseeds.co.uk/Hardiness.htm

I know lots of people here don't believe in the theory that US zones can be
'translated' to British one's, but lots of sites list stuff to add to the
discussion : http://www.rootrainers.co.uk/guide/g...ason/hardiness and
http://www.personal.u-net.com/~treetops/coldhrdy.html

And if global warming (or dimming) takes of we might all be growing totally
different stuff in a few years time :~)
warming : http://www.worldviewofglobalwarming....s/england.html
dimming : http://www.globalissues.org/EnvIssue...baldimming.asp

HTH Jenny

Jenny

Old 24-03-2005, 06:06 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"JennyC" writes:

| Found you a couple more useful sites:
|
| USAUK gardening !
| http://www.gardeningcd.com/Adapt/adaptPg21.htm
|
| Plant hardiness in the UK: http://www.jungleseeds.co.uk/Hardiness.htm
|
| I know lots of people here don't believe in the theory that US zones can be
| 'translated' to British one's, but lots of sites list stuff to add to the
| discussion : http://www.rootrainers.co.uk/guide/g...ason/hardiness and
| http://www.personal.u-net.com/~treetops/coldhrdy.html

An interesting collection of sites!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-03-2005, 06:11 PM

Jenny,

Don't you just love it when someone posts from the web, then never

seems to come
back..................I hope Erin gets to read all this good advice "~)

I'm here, I'm here!!! I've been reading, just slow to say thanx!
hee!hee! ;o) Thank you..Thank you!!!

The US is so huge that I guess you can grow more or less anything in

various parts of it. Where were you living?

Currently, I am in Massachusetts - The North Atlantic... grew up in
California! Yes, we can grow just about anything... sounds like I'm
really going to need to read up!

Using one as a wintergarden might be a bit chilly unless you don't

find paying for heating it.......

What about using concrete as a heatsink to harness the warmth from the
sun and heat a greenhouse overnight? Insulated blinds to also help
retain heat? Just something my hubby and I have thought of...

Erin

Old 24-03-2005, 06:20 PM

Mike,

Welcome aboard, Missus C! (We're not formal round he can I call

you C?)

Erin works.. ha!ha! ;oP

It's roughly what you'd expect, though: wetter in the west, drier in

the east, cooler in the north, warmer in the south, with few real
extremes.

I hadn't a clue what to expect...I've only seen England in the winter
and your winters are far better than here in Massachusetts! I've made a
note to myself to get a copy of that gardening book when I get there!
Thank you!

Looking forward to learning more!

Erin

Old 24-03-2005, 06:27 PM

Janet,

Do you know yet where you will settle?

My hubby said we'd be in Lincoln for a bit.... eventually he'd like to
up in north-west Scotland - not alot of people about he says... Any
truth to that? hee!hee!

measuring temperature in Fahrenheit, to measuring it in Centigrade,

Centigrade... now there is something I'll need to figure out beside the
money! hee!hee! ;o)

Thank you!

Erin

Old 24-03-2005, 06:30 PM

Mike,

(10 and 0F) which is cold

Well, that would feel divinely warm compared to the winter we've had...
with wind chill of -20F... BRRR! I'm gonna feel spoiled! hee!hee!

Erin

Old 24-03-2005, 06:31 PM

Nick,

Got that! Thank you!! Loads of info!!! ;o)

Erin

Old 24-03-2005, 06:37 PM

Jenny,

OOOO! What a collection of sites! Thank you!

Off to read!

Erin

Old 25-03-2005, 02:43 PM
JennyC

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"JennyC" writes:

| Found you a couple more useful sites:
|
| USAUK gardening !
| http://www.gardeningcd.com/Adapt/adaptPg21.htm
|
| Plant hardiness in the UK: http://www.jungleseeds.co.uk/Hardiness.htm
|
| I know lots of people here don't believe in the theory that US zones can be
| 'translated' to British one's, but lots of sites list stuff to add to the
| discussion : http://www.rootrainers.co.uk/guide/g...ason/hardiness

and
| http://www.personal.u-net.com/~treetops/coldhrdy.html

An interesting collection of sites!
Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Yes :~)))
Saw an interesting prog on the TV awhile back about global warming and dimming
keeping each other in balance.....
Jenny

Old 25-03-2005, 05:57 PM
Kay

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

Found you a couple more useful sites:

USAUK gardening !
http://www.gardeningcd.com/Adapt/adaptPg21.htm

Useful???????????????????????????

.Here's a taster of what that American site says about gardening in the UK:,

"they don't have to contend with deer, rabbits, squirrels, moles, (snip)

"In the 1960's, Miximitosis broke out in England. Rabbits are the
victims. To kill the disease, the countryside was sprayed liberally with
DDT, which not only killed off practically all the wild rabbit
population, but also much of the wildlife and wildflowers. (snip)

In the UK (again generalizing), winter temperatures rarely drop below
32ºF, summer temperatures average 75ºF "

:-O

See what you mean!

Must admit, I find it irritating having to walk through all those 'DDT
dips' while out hiking.
--
Kay

Old 25-03-2005, 07:34 PM
Alan Gould

In article , JennyC
writes
Saw an interesting prog on the TV awhile back about global warming and dimming
keeping each other in balance.....

IIRC, it suggested that the extra sunlight coming through the holes in
the ozone layer, was being diffused by the pollution layer beneath.
As global warming and levels of skin cancer are still rising, it would
seem that we need even more pollution to protect us! :-(
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 25-03-2005, 09:54 PM
Mike Lyle

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from Kay contains these words:

[...]

Are you sure you're still alive, Kay? ;-) Now I know the truth,
I'm worried our legs will drop off soon.

They get some bizarre ideas over there. I once had to field a
letter-to-the-editor from a reader in British Columbia who said "mad
cow disease" served the British right for their obstinate adherence
to outdated traditional farming methods! I think I was fairly
gentle -- you don't want to alienate readers, however far-flung -- in
my suggestion that there might not have been anything too desperately
traditional about feeding cows on minced sheep's heads.

--
Mike.