Old 24-03-2005, 04:08 PM
Lynda Thornton

Default Rejuvenating leggy tired-looking rhododendron

Hi

There is a particular mature rhododendron bush in our garden (maybe
10-12 ft high) that looks like it needs rejuvenating - although I am no
expert especially with rhodies, it definitely looks a bit on the sickly
side, lots of leggy branches making the whole shrub look a bit sparse
and the leaves are sagging down. It has several large bare trunks to
it, looking almost like a small tree, and a lot of thick and old
branches, there are also plenty of fat buds so it's obviously not on its
last legs but I think it needs help.

We only moved here last August and I haven't seen it in flower, I have
no idea what kind it is except that it retained its leaves over the
winter so I assume it's an evergreen one. I have spotted several others
that look very similar to this in other people's gardens round here and
most of them look rather more bushy, compact, greener and generally
healthier than my specimen. The leaves are paler than I think they
should be, drooping downwards and generally the whole shrub looks tired
out.

I have put some general plant food around its base and I have also cut
back some of the dead and untidy trailing growth lower down to raise its
canopy a bit. I think what it really needs is some kind of overall
rejuvenation to get it bushing out better and healthier. I think this is
the right time of year to do this but not sure how far into spring is
advisable?

I am a true amateur where rhododendrons are concerned. I have read up a
bit about pruning/rejuvenation advice and indeed some advice says to cut
it drastically down to stumps - but I'm not that brave, and it would
also spoil the view out of our living room window as we look right at it
and lots of birds are in and around it, it would be a shame to lose so
much of it.

Has anyone here rejuvenated a tired old rhododendron, how did they do it
and did it work, how long did the regrowth take?

Thanks for all and any advice!

Lynda
Old 24-03-2005, 05:06 PM
JennyC

"Lynda Thornton" wrote in message
Hi

There is a particular mature rhododendron bush in our garden (maybe
10-12 ft high) that looks like it needs rejuvenating

huge prune.......

Has anyone here rejuvenated a tired old rhododendron, how did they do it
and did it work, how long did the regrowth take?

Thanks for all and any advice!
Lynda

I'd wait until it's flowered so that you can see what colour it is and whether
you love or hate it :~)

Pruning is best done after flowering is finished. It will need feeding and
watering over the summer to build up for next year.

I've successfully pruned several right down to the ground and they are now small
bushy shrubs which will eventually be nicely shaped plants again. It looks
really brutal, but they do survive it - tho you won't get many flowers for a
couple of years.

You can spread the pruning out over several years. taking a third out each year,
but you might get funny shaped bushes for that length of time.

Here's a good site with more info:
http://www.eskimo.com/~enumclaw/Tips/pruning.html

Jenny

Old 27-03-2005, 05:43 PM
Colin Jacobs

Remove all the growing tips first to promote bushiness from the base.

"Holly in France" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 16:08:36 +0000 (UTC), Lynda Thornton wrote:

[...]

I've quoted your entire post in the hope that someone who has the answer
will spot it! I would be most interested in the reply to this too, if
anyone is able to help. I have a couple like this, not as big as yours,

but
very leggy, and I don't know whether, when or how much I dare cut them
back.

TIA

--
Holly, in France
Holiday home in Dordogne

Old 28-03-2005, 09:04 AM
Charlie Pridham

[...]

Rhododendrons can be cut back almost to the ground, although I personally
would do the stems over two years cut half back as soon as flowering
finishes and do the other half next year if re-growth looks promising.
You will of course have to wait for flowering to recommence!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 08-04-2005, 12:01 PM
Holly in France

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 09:04:41 +0100, Charlie Pridham wrote:

Rhododendrons can be cut back almost to the ground, although I personally
would do the stems over two years cut half back as soon as flowering
finishes and do the other half next year if re-growth looks promising.
You will of course have to wait for flowering to recommence!

Thanks Charlie. All I have to do now is remember to do it when the time
comes....