Old 16-01-2003, 09:12 AM
Tumbleweed

Default Indoor Bamboo

"Alwyn Williams" wrote in message
OK Thanks. Is it true that allowing tap water to stand for a few days

before
watering helps with the hardness.

No.

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks before replying (but no email reply necessary to newsgroups)

Old 16-01-2003, 12:41 PM
Alwyn Williams

I was recently given a "Lucky Bamboo" bought from Marks & Spencer. It's
basically a small tiered group of stems each with a small shoot approx 1
inch long. It is tied together & the base is wrapped in foam & stands in a
small ceramic dish full of water. Some of the stems have started to root &
what I want to know is should I eventually pot it in compost or will it live
quite happily standing in water.

Thanks
Alwyn

Old 16-01-2003, 03:51 PM

what I want to know is should I eventually pot it in compost or will it
live
quite happily standing in water.

I removed all of mine from the 'bundle' and potted them up properly.

Btw, they *hate* hard water with a suicidal vengeance.

Best,

- h

Old 16-01-2003, 04:24 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "H" contains these words:

what I want to know is should I eventually pot it in compost or will it

live
quite happily standing in water.

I removed all of mine from the 'bundle' and potted them up properly.

Have they grown bigger, Helen? I have a couple which have been
standing in water for over a year..they seem perfectly healthy, but have
hardly grown at all.Now that we live in a hardwater area I give them
filtered water :-)

Janet.

Old 16-01-2003, 05:05 PM
dave @ stejonda

In message , Alwyn
Williams writes
OK Thanks. Is it true that allowing tap water to stand for a few days before
watering helps with the hardness.

I can't imagine how since it's the chalk in the water causing the
hardness.

If you really don't have a source of rainwater you could use distilled
water as sold for use in domestic irons.

--
dave @ stejonda

Sch News from Brighton, UK http://www.schnews.org.uk/
John Le Carre on war with Iraq http://commondreams.org/views03/0115-01.htm
Old 16-01-2003, 05:29 PM
Zizz

"Alwyn Williams" wrote in message
I was recently given a "Lucky Bamboo" bought from Marks & Spencer. It's
basically a small tiered group of stems each with a small shoot approx 1
inch long. It is tied together & the base is wrapped in foam & stands in a
small ceramic dish full of water. Some of the stems have started to root &
what I want to know is should I eventually pot it in compost or will it

live
quite happily standing in water.

Thanks
Alwyn

If left standing in water I've read that they will eventually rot!

Old 16-01-2003, 06:55 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Alwyn
Williams writes
OK Thanks. Is it true that allowing tap water to stand for a few days before
watering helps with the hardness.

I wouldn't have thought so. I stand tap water for a couple of days
before adding it to the fish tank, but that's to lower the level of
chlorine and other additives. I don't think affects the hardness.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/
Old 17-01-2003, 12:52 PM
Ken Riley

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 12:41:28 -0000, "Alwyn Williams"
wrote:

I was recently given a "Lucky Bamboo" bought from Marks & Spencer. It's
basically a small tiered group of stems each with a small shoot approx 1
inch long. It is tied together & the base is wrapped in foam & stands in a
small ceramic dish full of water. Some of the stems have started to root &
what I want to know is should I eventually pot it in compost or will it live
quite happily standing in water.

Thanks
Alwyn

I was given one for Christmas and the little instruction card that
came with it says that Lucky Bamboo grows in water and will last for
years provided it is looked after. It says the water (half to 2
inches deep) should be changed every week during the rooting stage and
then every other week and that it is not necessary to feed it.

Joan in Bramhall (Cheshire)

Old 18-01-2003, 12:27 AM

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 17:05:11 +0000, "dave @ stejonda"
wrote:

In message , Alwyn
Williams writes
OK Thanks. Is it true that allowing tap water to stand for a few days before
watering helps with the hardness.

I can't imagine how since it's the chalk in the water causing the
hardness.

If you really don't have a source of rainwater you could use distilled
water as sold for use in domestic irons.

Or move to Manchester. (Which would solve the source of rainwater
problem too.)
--
Stuart Baldwin
news\at/boxatrix\dot/co\dot/uk

Old 18-01-2003, 10:53 AM

I removed all of mine from the 'bundle' and potted them up properly.

Have they grown bigger, Helen? I have a couple which have been
standing in water for over a year..they seem perfectly healthy, but have
hardly grown at all.

I haven't had them that long to see if they've grown. However, they are
still all healthy which is a lot better than the first lot I had. I left
these in the water, and most rotted away, despite regular water changes and
using soft bottled water. I find the cheap 12p a bottle Asda water is soft
... and therefore good for bamboo and my coffee machine ;-). Problem is, I
have to divert across town to get to Asda specially for the water. Buying a
trolley load of their water sometimes brings strange looks ;-)

Best,

- h

Old 18-01-2003, 11:07 PM
Elaine MacGregor

One of my friends was bought a lucky bamboo last Christmas and it has
survived very well in a shady room being given very hard water which was
never emptied out. It started to look the worse for wear at the end of the
year but when I looked at it, her carer had forgotten to water it. She had
a new one for Christmas and I have taken the old one to see if I can revive
it. So far it has perked up by taking it to pieces, removing the dead
shoots and putting back together in a smaller clump. I have given it a
little liquid feed which I will remove at the next water change. It is
already looking happier (thought still on very hard Kent water)

&

Old 19-01-2003, 09:42 AM
Alwyn Williams

Thanks for everyones advice. I think I'll leave it as it is for now & maybe
pot it later. As for the water I do have a water filter so I'll use that &
see how it goes.
Alwyn

indoor bamboo Ben Thomas Australia 5 21-12-2004 03:50 AM
indoor bamboo mlbasso Bamboo 0 05-08-2003 02:23 PM
Indoor water Bamboo turning yellow? Wayne Bamboo 6 26-04-2003 03:56 AM
Lucky Bamboo Indoor Plant TheresaKyn Bamboo 1 10-03-2003 08:24 AM
Help - Indoor Bamboo myk Bamboo 2 17-02-2003 10:27 AM