Old 28-03-2005, 04:07 PM
Robert

Default Temporarily planting bare-root roses

"David D Stretch" wrote in message
: For various complicated reasons, I find myself in possession of 4
: bare-rooted roses that require planting as soon as possible. I do not
: have the ground prepared to do this yet. However, they do need planting
: as soon as possible. My solution has been to buy largish containers
: (the plastic terracotta-looking ones) to temporarily put them in. My
: problem is that the roots are still too long for them to be placed in
: the containers well.
:
: My question is: does this matter is they are to be in there for about
: one more month?
:
: If so, is it just a matter of removing them from the container, keeping
: as much of the root-ball as possible in place, and then gently placing
: them into a well-prepared large enough hole where I want them. This
: would take place in about a month's time.
:
:
: If not, has anyone any suggestions of what to do/

I would trim the roots to fit the container. Presumably they are new plants
so I would expect that as a possibility even if planting in open ground, if
they were excessively long
: --
: David D Stretch: Stoke-on-Trent, UK.
: Delete DELETE in the above email addresses to email me