Old 07-12-2012, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default bare root planting delays

Does anyone have an idea about how long I can go safely before planting
bare root trees? Normally I bung them in as right away, but the snow
and frozen ground are preventing me at the minute.

I expect it may depend somewhat on species, these are a pterocarya
fraxinifolia and a sycamore atropurpureum, both about 4m.

They were dug up yesterday (Thurs) morning at the nursery, I've put them
in a shed to keep the roots from freezing.

cheers,

-E
Old 07-12-2012, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/12/2012 12:27, Emery Davis wrote:
Does anyone have an idea about how long I can go safely before planting
bare root trees? Normally I bung them in as right away, but the snow
and frozen ground are preventing me at the minute.

I expect it may depend somewhat on species, these are a pterocarya
fraxinifolia and a sycamore atropurpureum, both about 4m.

They were dug up yesterday (Thurs) morning at the nursery, I've put them
in a shed to keep the roots from freezing.

cheers,

-E

In the "Old days" they would be put in a shed and covered with old sacks
till you could get them in
Old 07-12-2012, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/07/2012 01:29 PM, David Hill wrote:
On 07/12/2012 12:27, Emery Davis wrote:
Does anyone have an idea about how long I can go safely before planting
bare root trees? Normally I bung them in as right away, but the snow
and frozen ground are preventing me at the minute.

[]
In the "Old days" they would be put in a shed and covered with old sacks
till you could get them in

Exactly what I've done, just wondering if they can hold a
week/month/whatever on the off chance it stays cold.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Emery Davis wrote in news:aie26qFdin8U1
@mid.individual.net:

Does anyone have an idea about how long I can go safely before planting
bare root trees? Normally I bung them in as right away, but the snow
and frozen ground are preventing me at the minute.

I expect it may depend somewhat on species, these are a pterocarya
fraxinifolia and a sycamore atropurpureum, both about 4m.

They were dug up yesterday (Thurs) morning at the nursery, I've put them
in a shed to keep the roots from freezing.

cheers,

-E

Surely bare rooted trees would store for at least 6 months, being so
freshly dug, if kept in moist soil or compost. Even at 4m. Its not as if
you expect a harvest from them, not like a fruit tree. A 4m sycamore is
going to need a big, deep stake to protect it from the very strong winds we
can expect over the next 2 - 3 months. That would be my only worry.

Good luck, best wishes, Emery.
Baz
Old 07-12-2012, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/12/2012 14:37, Baz wrote:
[...]

The thin king now is to stake it low, the more the trunk can move about
the thicker it will grow.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Emery Davis wrote in
:

On 12/07/2012 04:26 PM, David Hill wrote:
On 07/12/2012 14:37, Baz wrote:
[...]

Feed him enough, he'll be the fat king...

True enough, I do stake low. Also only for 1 year typically. These
are tall but don't have much in the way of crowns, so shouldn't have a
real problem, although with the wind we get you never do know. I
thought the height might be important since that's a lot of distance
to pump sap if the roots are really weakened.

Baz, I guess I thought that the small roots would dry out pretty
quick.
Cheers though, I'm reassured.

-E

Pat yourselves on the back then. I love being patronised.

Baz

Old 07-12-2012, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/07/2012 05:07 PM, Baz wrote:
Pat yourselves on the back then. I love being patronised.

Eh? Wasn't intending anything. Easy on the fuse.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Emery Davis wrote in news:aiej2lFhce4U1
@mid.individual.net:

On 12/07/2012 05:07 PM, Baz wrote:
Pat yourselves on the back then. I love being patronised.

Eh? Wasn't intending anything. Easy on the fuse.

Sorry, Emery.
I meant it to be lighthearted. I didn't write it as I meant it to look.
It was the thin king (thinking) and fat king. Well, I know what I mean.
My text looks like I was thinking that you were patronising me, and that
can't be further from the truth.

Baz
Old 08-12-2012, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Emery Davis wrote in news:aigoqrF1j3qU1
@mid.individual.net:

On 12/08/2012 12:51 PM, Baz wrote:

No harm done mate. Best for the hols to you and the family!

cheers,

-E

You and yours too. Very best wishes.

Baz