Old 16-01-2003, 09:13 PM
paula

Default Garden Maintenance

I work away for up to a month at a time and need to arrange for
someone to maintain my garden - cut lawns , hedges , weeding
general tyding up etc.

What is the best way of going about finding someone reliable ,
regular etc. probably 2 hours pw would be enough .
Is it best to get an individual or arrange a contract with larger
operator ?

What would be the going rate in the South East area

Thanks for any help
Old 16-01-2003, 11:11 PM
bnd777

A trusted individual who really enjoys gardening would be your best bet

I have seen the mess blown into corners and into neighbours gardens by
contractors and their ubiquitos fascination with blowers

Old 18-01-2003, 03:21 AM
Rachael Reynolds

"sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
in article , paula at
wrote on 16/1/03 9:13 pm:

I work away for up to a month at a time and need to arrange for
someone to maintain my garden - cut lawns , hedges , weeding
general tyding up etc.

What is the best way of going about finding someone reliable ,
regular etc. probably 2 hours pw would be enough .
Is it best to get an individual or arrange a contract with larger
operator ?

What would be the going rate in the South East area

Thanks for any help

Can't tell you what a fair rate is in the SE but my past experience of
contractors is don't unless you're there to supervise. The only way I'd
employ a contractor during my absence would be if I knew the person

coming
to do the work was capable of doing *exactly* what I wanted and that it
would always be that person who came. I would suggest your best bet is to
talk to neighbours, look at small ads in papers (and conduct a careful
interview) ask at your local post office if you live in a small area, talk
to the person that tends the local churchyard etc. If there's a local
gardening club or an allotment association, try talking to them, too.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

I'd certainly endorse avoiding contractors. I've tried several and I still
can't decide whether they are worse when they don't bother to turn up or
when they do - and i never use people who aren't members or trade
associations so who knows what the rest are like
Rachael

Old 18-01-2003, 10:59 AM
david

I would expect to pay around £10.00 an hour if you want anyone worth having,
but remember that all the best will already be very busy.
You might find that local parks have people who do extra work in their own
time, also local college having a horticultural course could have possible
candidate, and they could be cheaper, but remember you get what you pay for.

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Old 20-01-2003, 11:43 PM
tedson

"david" wrote in message
I would expect to pay around £10.00 an hour if you want anyone worth

having,
but remember that all the best will already be very busy.
You might find that local parks have people who do extra work in their own
time, also local college having a horticultural course could have possible
candidate, and they could be cheaper, but remember you get what you pay

for.

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

The going rate in the north is £6.50 labour only, £9.00 full service, i.e.
use of tools lawnmower etc.

Try to find a retired person, many retired policemen do part time gardening,

Roberto

large garden maintenance H Ryder United Kingdom 32 14-11-2003 12:22 PM
Garden maintenance Ram Guy Lawns 3 06-05-2003 12:20 PM
maintenance free garden? subbykins{Chrd} United Kingdom 1 13-02-2003 06:28 PM
maintenance free garden? Dave Arthuro United Kingdom 23 11-02-2003 07:52 PM
Help with Garden Maintenance paula United Kingdom 2 16-01-2003 04:28 PM