Old 30-03-2005, 04:03 PM
Edward Martin

Default Lawn

Last year my lawn changed colour from a lovely green to a straw colour, for
no apparant reason. I fed it regularly but to no avail.

Over the winter its been growing, albeit slowly, and the new growth is
green. Having cut the grass last weekend its removed all the new growth and
therefore also all the green, and left me with a lawn thats distictly straw
like in colour, bar a couple of green patches.

I've also got small patches of 'baldness' whereby no grass is growing at
all, dotted around the lawn. Last year I sowed some new grass seeds, but
probably left it too late in the year - September time I think it was. I
think the patches have appeared where I've used weed killer.

My lawn is tiny, but currently unsightly.

Any suggestions how I can bring it back to life and revive the greenness and
deal with the 'bald' patches ?

As you can probably tell, I'm not much of a gardener but very willing to
learn.

Many thanks

Old 30-03-2005, 07:18 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Edward Martin
writes

Any suggestions how I can bring it back to life and revive the greenness and
deal with the 'bald' patches ?

We've looked after our lawn for many years without ever using either
fertilisers or weed-killers. It stayed lush and green all winter, then
it responded magnificently to its first cut of the season last week.

Your lawn grass will recover quite soon if you let it. Mow it regularly
at a consistent height, other than that let it do its own thing.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 30-03-2005, 10:27 PM
pied piper

"Edward Martin" wrote in message
[...]

you cut too much off at once thus putting the plant under stress gradually
bring your height down spike scarify and feed if no rain about during the
summer keep well watered.

Old 31-03-2005, 07:20 PM
davek

you cut too much off at once thus putting the plant under stress gradually
bring your height down spike scarify and feed if no rain about during the
summer keep well watered.

Two to three inches tall for a nice springy turf. Shave it lower and it
becomes susceptible to all sorts of nasties.Maybe trim for a striped effect
in midsummer but generally leave it longer than most people mow.
Cut very low and you will destroy butterfly larva that live on the ground
during daytime but feed at the top of grass stems during the evening (think
it's the brimstone).
The starlings are busy on our little patch at present- heads to the side
listening then a quick dash and deep probe to drag out the grubs that love
to eat grass roots- crane fly larvae, otherwise known as leatherjackets. The
birds do a good job as you would otherwise have to use wormkiller to see
them off.
DaveK.

Old 31-03-2005, 09:25 PM
pied piper

"davek" wrote in message
[...]

wormkiller has no effect on leatherjackets and if starlings are digging them
out you already have a problem

Old 01-04-2005, 12:54 AM
davek

wormkiller has no effect on leatherjackets and if starlings are digging
them
out you already have a problem

Nematode worms are now recommended,-or just stop watering in dry
conditions- they don't like that, or put black polythene over the grass at
night and collect the little blighters off the surface in the morning (or
let the birds eat'em).
DaveK.

Old 01-04-2005, 04:16 PM
pied piper

"davek" wrote in message
wormkiller has no effect on leatherjackets and if starlings are digging

them
out you already have a problem

Nematode worms are now recommended,-or just stop watering in dry
conditions- they don't like that, or put black polythene over the grass at
night and collect the little blighters off the surface in the morning (or
let the birds eat'em).
DaveK.

or just spray annualy with crossfire