Old 04-04-2005, 06:00 PM
JK

Default Cat problem

Anyone have a working method for deterring cats from using my garden as
a litter tray? I have two toddlers and I'd rather they took precedence
over the neighbours cat. I've so far seen a few methods, any comments on
these:

1. ultrasonic screamers (with IR detectors to trigger them)
2. water squirters (ditto)
3. aromatics
4. "zoo poo"

While humourous replies are always welcome, this is a serious question -
cat crap is pretty toxic and smelly stuff, I don't want it in my garden,
and I imagine I'm not alone.

TIA

John
Old 04-04-2005, 07:30 PM
Mike

Deterrent to the VERMIN CAT?????

YES

Called the Cat and Dog Repeller, it works off 2 x 9 volt batteries and is a
small and very portable unit and is easy to hide. It is made by STV
International Ltd 2002 at Little Cressingham in Norfolk

Mike
with a cat crap free garden :-))

I cannot speak highly enough of it. I was with my daughter in Derby over the
last couple of days and she has the same problem, AND with dogs ;-(( She is
going to get one.

You HAVE to stand up to the inconsiderate and uncaring cat owners. They
don't crap in their own gardens, the cats that is, the owners might I don't
know, but as long as the vermin cat does not crap in 'their' garden, they
don't give a toss!!

Mike

--
H.M.S.Collingwood Ass. Llandudno 20 - 23 May Trip to Portmeirion
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Spitfire Fly Past

news:1112633868.e8894ab8e5a1be0f859e5135d1661798@t eranews...

Old 05-04-2005, 08:57 PM
Duncan

"Mike" wrote in message

They don't crap in their own gardens, the cats that is,......

Mike
with a cat crap free garden :-))

Mine bloody well does. }:-(

(He's then the wife's cat, not mine!)

He can't be arsed to climb the wall to crap in anyone elses garden, but I
can tolerate him using one area of bare dry soil as a sort of outdoor
litter-tray. He won't tolerate another cat in his garden, and so I only have
the crap of one cat to clear up.

Duncan
with a one cat-crap garden (or, "a one-cat, crap garden")

Old 06-04-2005, 11:51 AM
Registered User

Smile

[They don't crap in their own gardens, the cats that is,......

Mike
with a cat crap free garden :-))[/i][/color]

Mine bloody well does. }:-(

(He's then the wife's cat, not mine!)

He can't be arsed to climb the wall to crap in anyone elses garden, but I
can tolerate him using one area of bare dry soil as a sort of outdoor
litter-tray. He won't tolerate another cat in his garden, and so I only have
the crap of one cat to clear up.

Duncan
with a one cat-crap garden (or, "a one-cat, crap garden")[/quote]

My cat also craps in my garden. I don't know if she does it in anyone elses. But all my neighbours have at least one cat - it's amazing we're not submerged in the stuff. (There are 14 cats in total counting my IMMEDIATE neighbours!!!)

BTW cats do at least bury their faeces - I find it when I'm weeding or turning over the soil, but I don't see it otherwise. Also - cats rarely do it on open ground (like grass or a path) - unless they are claiming their territory in response to a fight. They will prefer to do it behind a shrub where no one can see them. Are you sure it's not foxes? Also - gravel and recently overturned soil is a mecca for cats.

Zoe (and Thea the cat!!)
Old 06-04-2005, 09:21 PM
hugh

In message , ZoeM
writes

[...]

-
gravel and recently overturned soil is a mecca for cats.

Zoe (and Thea the cat!!)[/i][/color]

--
ZoeM

Get yourself a dog, they're *real* turd machines.
--
hugh

Old 04-04-2005, 08:30 PM
Mike

Jk

sorry but you will not get any more answers in this thread now I have made
my contribution :-))

The 'owners' of the newsgroup, some of who are Vermin owners as well, kill
file mean as soon as I make a contribution, they throw their arms up in the
air and go into a convusive fit "Oh my God "HE" is here again"

HOWEVER, the cat repeller really does a magnificent job. I did see a
neighbours cat running away shaking it's head :-))))))))

Old 04-04-2005, 09:00 PM
Phil L

Mike wrote:
:: Jk
::
:: sorry but you will not get any more answers in this thread now I
:: have made my contribution :-))
::
:: The 'owners' of the newsgroup, some of who are Vermin owners as
:: well, kill file mean as soon as I make a contribution, they throw
:: their arms up in the air and go into a convusive fit "Oh my God
:: "HE" is here again"
::
:: HOWEVER, the cat repeller really does a magnificent job. I did see
:: a neighbours cat running away shaking it's head :-))))))))

It had probably overheard one of your jokes.

:-p

They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country
and our people, and neither do we."
- George W. Bush, 5.8.2004

Old 04-04-2005, 09:05 PM
pied piper

"Mike" wrote in message
Jk

sorry but you will not get any more answers in this thread now I have made
my contribution :-))

The 'owners' of the newsgroup, some of who are Vermin owners as well, kill
file mean as soon as I make a contribution, they throw their arms up in
the
air and go into a convusive fit "Oh my God "HE" is here again"

HOWEVER, the cat repeller really does a magnificent job. I did see a
neighbours cat running away shaking it's head :-))))))))

these freemasons pop up everywhere

Old 04-04-2005, 10:18 PM
Mike

these freemasons pop up everywhere

Capital 'F' if you don't mind. Freemasons.

Thank you

Old 05-04-2005, 11:12 AM
JK

Mike wrote:
Jk

sorry but you will not get any more answers in this thread now I have made
my contribution :-))

The 'owners' of the newsgroup, some of who are Vermin owners as well, kill
file mean as soon as I make a contribution, they throw their arms up in the
air and go into a convusive fit "Oh my God "HE" is here again"

HOWEVER, the cat repeller really does a magnificent job. I did see a
neighbours cat running away shaking it's head :-))))))))

Thanks for your reply, I have ordered an ultrasonic from ebay.

You can't really complain if cat owners take offence to your calling
them vermin, it's quite a confrontational stance to take. Personally I
quite like cats, I just don't want them pooing where my kids can find it.

Old 04-04-2005, 09:10 PM
Tumbleweed

"JK" wrote in message
news:1112633868.e8894ab8e5a1be0f859e5135d1661798@t eranews...
Anyone have a working method for deterring cats from using my garden as a
litter tray? I have two toddlers and I'd rather they took precedence over
the neighbours cat. I've so far seen a few methods, any comments on these:

1. ultrasonic screamers (with IR detectors to trigger them)
2. water squirters (ditto)
3. aromatics
4. "zoo poo"

While humourous replies are always welcome, this is a serious question -
cat crap is pretty toxic and smelly stuff, I don't want it in my garden,
and I imagine I'm not alone.

TIA

John

I have just (Sunday) installed an ultrasonic device. Will post in a few
weeks whether its working.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 05-04-2005, 07:02 AM
Mike

"JK" wrote in message
news:1112633868.e8894ab8e5a1be0f859e5135d1661798@t eranews...
Anyone have a working method for deterring cats from using my garden as
a litter tray? I have two toddlers and I'd rather they took precedence
over the neighbours cat. I've so far seen a few methods, any comments on
these:

1. ultrasonic screamers (with IR detectors to trigger them)

http://www.charliesstoresltd.co.uk/p...il.asp?ID=2734

I must have been doing a good job on recommendations, this store has sold
out. ;-)

Seriously, note the details and try your Garden Centre/local Ironmongers,
(which is where we got ours). I am nothing to do with the company, I just
know from experience that the thing works!!

Mike

Old 07-04-2005, 01:47 AM
Registered User

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK
Anyone have a working method for deterring cats from using my garden as
a litter tray? I have two toddlers and I'd rather they took precedence
over the neighbours cat. I've so far seen a few methods, any comments on
these:

1. ultrasonic screamers (with IR detectors to trigger them)
2. water squirters (ditto)
3. aromatics
4. "zoo poo"

While humourous replies are always welcome, this is a serious question -
cat crap is pretty toxic and smelly stuff, I don't want it in my garden,
and I imagine I'm not alone.

TIA

John

A couple of things spring to mind:
1. What about a cat of your own? They are quite territorial, plus the satisfaction of knowing that your own has tried to crap nextdoor.
2. My dad always swore by a catapult and as long as the neighbours don't know you have one, why not!
3. Yes, I said a couple of things, but I just thought of this one. Your very own litter tray in a 'safe from toddler location'. If they are crapping now, atleast you will be able to control it to a greater degree. It is a hard thing to stop, so petition your cat owning neighbours to contribute with bags of cat litter. A responsible cat owner would see the value in that, just like responsible dog owners are expected to clean the crap from the streets.
4. Put down some mice traps with tasty morsels, that'll scare the living shit out of them!

Will someone please report on the efficacy of these new fangled machines?

Best of luck, cats are not only an urban problem as they strike in the rurals aswell!

Chris
Old 07-04-2005, 08:35 AM
Mike

Will someone please report on the efficacy of these new fangled
machines?

I think I have made it quite clear that the Cat and Dog Deterrent I use is
superb. Please ignore Barrowcloths continued bleatings against anything I
say on the newsgroup.

The electronic sounder is 101% A1

Mike
who has a cat crap free garden (Barrowcloth, that is NOT a lie)