Old 05-04-2005, 09:57 PM
Mike

If you are calling me a liar, in saying that the ultrasonic deterrent I have
used and found to be very effective, say it out straight and I will take you
to the cleaners.

Cut the garbage and come out with it straight.

For the benefit of others, especially the newbies and there are plenty at
this time of the year, Barrowcloth and her side kick Sacha will take every
opportunity to take a swipe at me.

BUT,

the Vermin Cat deterrent I have and recommend, works

and much to the annoyance of one of the net nanny owners of the group, drop
me a line at PO36 8PG, yes that is all you need :-)) and I will take photos
of a nice clean cat crap free garden and it's been like that for well over a
month is it? Whenever it was I first recommended it. (Daren't put a wrong
date or a 'sleeping net nanny' will arise :-))

When you see one of the Vermin running off shaking it's head, you know it
works :-))))))))))))))))))

Mike
not trolling, recommending :-))

Old 05-04-2005, 11:29 PM
w.g.s.hamm

"JK" wrote in message
news:1112717496.edbf6c5e65757fbf3a04d92ea25ad5a0@t eranews...
Sacha wrote:
On 5/4/05 16:32, in article
1112715011.7e751485f8d38b96d58b63588f16f9ad@terane ws, "JK"

wrote:

snip

That's a bit cryptic. Are you saying that ultrasonic cat scarers don't
work? That they do work but you don't like them? That you don't like
Mike, perhaps due to his robust style of posting?

Mike is a troll who regularly starts threads on cats to annoy gardening
posters here or jumps gleefully into such threads to prolong them.

Like
many trolls his advice is to be looked at carefully before being taken.

He
says that one of his favourite methods of deterring cats is to nail

carpet
gripper, spiked side up on top of gates and fences. If you think advice

from
such a person to be reliable, that's your privilege and of course, it's

your
money. If it doesn't work, perhaps Mike will give you a refund.

I wouldn't have a problem with taking action like that. It's not as if
cats are so dumb they'd repeatedly injure themselves, they would just
stop walking in the carpet gripper. They do much worse things to each
other. I don't know about Mike, but I feel a bit like a cornered animal
with respect to these invaders - I have crawling infant humans to
defend, and the amount of crap in my garden is a genuine risk to their
health. I get no benefit from the cats, they aren't my pets, all I get
is their faeces. So if spiked fences and scary noises will make them
choose somewhere else, I fail to see anything wrong with that, they're
only animals after all. "Loved" by someone perhaps, but that's their
neurosis. £25 for a gadget seems worth a punt, if it doesn't work I'll
have to try something else.

Just out of curiosity. Once you have stopped the cats from coming into your
garden, what will you do about wild birds shitting, hedgehogs, mice, rats
and other beasties all pooing where your crawling infants go?

Old 06-04-2005, 10:25 AM
Magwitch

JK muttered:

I don't disagree with anything you say, I grew up with animals and I
believe the developing immune system needs chalenge. But as with
anything, it's a question of degree. We have a small-ish city garden and
approximately 1/3 of it is bark chippings. These ares were literally
full of kittycrap. I don't mind the odd turd, but I want to deter the
daily use as a litter tray. That much cat poo does pose a health hazard,
and it also stinks. No-one should be trying to tell me to put up with
it, get over it etc, would you have wanted the neighbouring farmer to
stash *all* his cow manure in your garden?

Hard pave it then, cats won't crap anywhere they can't bury and you have
provided a giant litter tray for them with the bark chip. Even that needn't
be wasted, sounds like perfect compost material ;o)

Old 06-04-2005, 11:27 AM
JK

wrote:

[...]

I don't have any problems with them. Last weekend I removed a dozen
binbags full of crap-inpregnated bark chippings. It was cat crap.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:30 AM
JK

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message 1112715011.7e751485f8d38b96d58b63588f16f9ad@teran ews
from JK contains these words:

Janet Baraclough wrote:

Do take more care whose advice you follow, and avoid the obvious warning
signs :-(

That's a bit cryptic. Are you saying that ultrasonic cat scarers don't
work?

There is a newsgroup equivalent of the "phonepest|", called a troll.
Trolls are pests who attempt to disrupt newsgroups by various tactics,
including lying to mislead other posters, deliberately giving wrong or
malicious advice etc.

Genuine gardening posters often avoid the repetitive garbage endlessly
spewed by well-known trolls, by automatically killfiling all messages
originating from those authors. That means trolls who have made
themselves widely unpopular in a group, and have been widely killfiled,
spend most of their time in darkest limbo, unread and unaswered, hanging
around waiting for some innocent newcomer to swallow their bait.

Many people have your problem and ask for advice here. It's a frequently
asked question or FAQ, so much so there's a prepared answer available,
written by the gardeners here .(to find the FAQs, see the weekly abc-for
-newcomers-to -urg post). If ultrasound scares worked, everyone who had
your problem would swiftly be able to solve it and there would be many
genuine gardening posters here, saying "yes, thanks for that advice, I
tried it and it worked". They don't say that.

Hope that answers your questions.

Janet.

I know what a troll is, and I've read the FAQ. I think the only
contribution worth making for me here is to report back about my
ultrasonic cat frightener. Till then, I'll leave you crazy guys to your
ancient net wars.

You should all be ashamed of yourselves, by the way.

Old 06-04-2005, 11:51 AM
Registered User

Smile

[They don't crap in their own gardens, the cats that is,......

Mike
with a cat crap free garden :-))[/i][/color]

Mine bloody well does. }:-(

(He's then the wife's cat, not mine!)

He can't be arsed to climb the wall to crap in anyone elses garden, but I
can tolerate him using one area of bare dry soil as a sort of outdoor
litter-tray. He won't tolerate another cat in his garden, and so I only have
the crap of one cat to clear up.

Duncan
with a one cat-crap garden (or, "a one-cat, crap garden")[/quote]

My cat also craps in my garden. I don't know if she does it in anyone elses. But all my neighbours have at least one cat - it's amazing we're not submerged in the stuff. (There are 14 cats in total counting my IMMEDIATE neighbours!!!)

BTW cats do at least bury their faeces - I find it when I'm weeding or turning over the soil, but I don't see it otherwise. Also - cats rarely do it on open ground (like grass or a path) - unless they are claiming their territory in response to a fight. They will prefer to do it behind a shrub where no one can see them. Are you sure it's not foxes? Also - gravel and recently overturned soil is a mecca for cats.

Zoe (and Thea the cat!!)
Old 06-04-2005, 01:17 PM
w.g.s.hamm

"JK" wrote in message
news:1112783080.483a4fb009585c28216fa9a5e8406e2e@t eranews...
Just out of curiosity. Once you have stopped the cats from coming into

your
garden, what will you do about wild birds shitting, hedgehogs, mice,

rats
and other beasties all pooing where your crawling infants go?

I don't have any problems with them.

but you should, really. Rat urine cannot be seen and weils disease which
can be caught from it could potentially kill a small child :0(
Salmonella and psittacosis from wild pigeons is also nasty.
Personally my son grew up with animals, no doubt ingested hair, dander,
etc, probably rolled in cat or dog poo occasionally when he and his friends
would trash my land digging trenches (aided by several dogs) to play war
games and grew up fit, strong and healthy.
I have always had rather a lot of animals, cats included, and so did my
son's friends who were mainly neighbouring farmer's children and had
enormous fun playing at flicking wet cow pats at one another with whippy
twigs. Apart from sensible precautions like washing hands before eating we
didn't worry too much. None of them was ever seriously ill with other than
the usual childhood stuff. My nephew however was coddled by his obsessively
clean mother and when they visited, she wouldn't even allow the child down
onto the floor in my house because dogs and cats had walked there. He grew
up with a myriad of health issues from glue ear, to sinus problems etc and
was a sickly child.

Last weekend I removed a dozen
binbags full of crap-inpregnated bark chippings. It was cat crap.

I believe you. Bark chippings in a nice deep heap is an ideal cat toilet.
But also as I mentioned before, don't get too hung up on it. Your babies
will come across other germs in the garden and survive and develop a healthy
immune system, heck they may even want a pet cat of their own one day :-)
Then you will join the legion of us antisocial, supposedly,less than nice
human beings who own felines and love them.

Old 06-04-2005, 07:06 PM
Registered User

]
I don't disagree with anything you say, I grew up with animals and I
believe the developing immune system needs chalenge. But as with
anything, it's a question of degree. We have a small-ish city garden and
approximately 1/3 of it is bark chippings. These ares were literally
full of kittycrap. I don't mind the odd turd, but I want to deter the
daily use as a litter tray. That much cat poo does pose a health hazard,
and it also stinks. No-one should be trying to tell me to put up with
it, get over it etc, would you have wanted the neighbouring farmer to
stash *all* his cow manure in your garden?[/quote]

It might be an idea to replace the bark chippings with something else - as a last resort (if you find that the other remedies don't work). Cats find this very attractive as a litter tray.

Zoe
Old 06-04-2005, 09:21 PM
hugh

In message , ZoeM
writes

[...]

-
gravel and recently overturned soil is a mecca for cats.

Zoe (and Thea the cat!!)[/i][/color]

--
ZoeM

Get yourself a dog, they're *real* turd machines.
--
hugh

Old 07-04-2005, 01:47 AM
Registered User

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK
Anyone have a working method for deterring cats from using my garden as
a litter tray? I have two toddlers and I'd rather they took precedence
over the neighbours cat. I've so far seen a few methods, any comments on
these:

1. ultrasonic screamers (with IR detectors to trigger them)
2. water squirters (ditto)
3. aromatics
4. "zoo poo"

While humourous replies are always welcome, this is a serious question -
cat crap is pretty toxic and smelly stuff, I don't want it in my garden,
and I imagine I'm not alone.

TIA

John

A couple of things spring to mind:
1. What about a cat of your own? They are quite territorial, plus the satisfaction of knowing that your own has tried to crap nextdoor.
2. My dad always swore by a catapult and as long as the neighbours don't know you have one, why not!
3. Yes, I said a couple of things, but I just thought of this one. Your very own litter tray in a 'safe from toddler location'. If they are crapping now, atleast you will be able to control it to a greater degree. It is a hard thing to stop, so petition your cat owning neighbours to contribute with bags of cat litter. A responsible cat owner would see the value in that, just like responsible dog owners are expected to clean the crap from the streets.
4. Put down some mice traps with tasty morsels, that'll scare the living shit out of them!

Will someone please report on the efficacy of these new fangled machines?

Best of luck, cats are not only an urban problem as they strike in the rurals aswell!

Chris
Old 07-04-2005, 02:55 AM
Magwitch

Susan muttered:

"JK" wrote:
Anyone have a working method for deterring cats from using my garden as
a litter tray?

What we need is a bylaw, such as the following:

http://www.cochrane.ca/municipal/coc.../AllDoc/4626F0
0294AF670787256EC90058AF6D?OpenDocument

Just what we *don't* need IMV.

Old 07-04-2005, 08:35 AM
Mike

Will someone please report on the efficacy of these new fangled
machines?

I think I have made it quite clear that the Cat and Dog Deterrent I use is
superb. Please ignore Barrowcloths continued bleatings against anything I
say on the newsgroup.

The electronic sounder is 101% A1

Mike
who has a cat crap free garden (Barrowcloth, that is NOT a lie)

Old 07-04-2005, 01:44 PM
Tumbleweed

"Magwitch" wrote in message
JK muttered:

I don't disagree with anything you say, I grew up with animals and I
believe the developing immune system needs chalenge. But as with
anything, it's a question of degree. We have a small-ish city garden and
approximately 1/3 of it is bark chippings. These ares were literally
full of kittycrap. I don't mind the odd turd, but I want to deter the
daily use as a litter tray. That much cat poo does pose a health hazard,
and it also stinks. No-one should be trying to tell me to put up with
it, get over it etc, would you have wanted the neighbouring farmer to
stash *all* his cow manure in your garden?

Hard pave it then, cats won't crap anywhere they can't bury

Why do they crap on my lawn then?

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com